NEWS

Lucasfilm, a division of Disney

• 30 Replies

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« on: <10-30-12/1738:49> »
Very interesting news in the world of filmmaking, and something that caught me completely off-guard. Depending on how the transition is handled (please, Disney, use the Marvel approach) this could be very, very good. The idea of Ep VII is also something that I find rather interesting. Which way will it go?

However, not everything is rosey. It's quite possible that the fan produced material may die off. While Lucas has been very happy to let others play in his sandbox, Disney is rather strict on that aspect of things. I could see a lot of C&D letters going out once the deal is approved by all relevant agencies.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #2 on: <10-30-12/1905:01> »
I actually liked those figures. Pretty cool....    8)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-30-12/2159:34> »
My question: Given that the books written already cover a fairly large portion of the time after Ep. 6, are they going to A: Ignore the books and make them completely non canon (or the movies non-canon for that matter), B: Make the books into movies (possibly ruining them, but I'll withhold judgement for now), or C: Find a different important time in the Universe to muck about in (Wouldn't mind some kind of Old Republic movies.)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <10-31-12/0857:57> »
Joss Whedon is my master now.

And, he's currently under contract with Disney.

*nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #5 on: <10-31-12/0927:54> »
Maybe the'll do a good movie for once. Yes, I'm not a fan of any of the movie trilogies. Remember this: Even the silly family movies Disney made had decent storywriting at least. SW didn't. Fans had to patch plot holes all the time.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-31-12/1006:26> »
My question: Given that the books written already cover a fairly large portion of the time after Ep. 6, are they going to A: Ignore the books and make them completely non canon (or the movies non-canon for that matter), B: Make the books into movies (possibly ruining them, but I'll withhold judgement for now), or C: Find a different important time in the Universe to muck about in (Wouldn't mind some kind of Old Republic movies.)

The books were always fodder for being ignored. In the five tiers of canon novels come in third, behind the movies (first) and the TV series (second). That said, the principals have gotten too old to give the Thrawn novels the film treatment. Maybe the Jedi academy series, but I doubt those. I'm thinking something new.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-31-12/1006:47> »

Fuck.
No.
Power corrupts.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <10-31-12/1232:08> »

Fuck.
No.

Hell.
Yes.
Joss whedon done some amazing works, combining action comedy and drama into one enjoyable package.
Buffy the vampire slayer (high school teen drama)
Angel (more adult styled drama, comedy, action, fantasy)
Firefly (scifi drama action and comedy)
Serenity (see firefly)
Avengers (probably the best marvel universe movie made)

Not to mention doing 3 years as a writer for marvel comics (amazing x-men, Buffy, and angel)

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <10-31-12/1313:32> »

Fuck.
No.
You're just still upset that Oz didn't stick around on Buffy...

Seriously, who else would you get to direct Chewbacca's death??

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-31-12/1323:19> »

So Whedon directs, Fillian and Geller as the solo kids in middle age? Allen Tudyk as the villain?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-31-12/1401:03> »

Who?

Spielberg. Abrams. Cameron. Shyamalan, but only if he could focus his Sixth Sense/Unbreakable energy. Ridley Scott. And if I want over-the-top, bring in Tarantino to direct that scene (and only that scene).
Power corrupts.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-31-12/1409:32> »

Micheal Bay. :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-31-12/1414:52> »

Micheal Bay. :P

John Woo?

With Chow Yun Fat in the suit.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-31-12/1419:24> »

Who?

Spielberg. Abrams. Cameron. Shyamalan, but only if he could focus his Sixth Sense/Unbreakable energy. Ridley Scott. And if I want over-the-top, bring in Tarantino to direct that scene (and only that scene).

How about Scorcese or the Coen Brothers or any of the dozens of other directors who did amazing work for Disney under the Miramax umbrella?  Hell, if Max and Harvey hadn't gotten nostalgic, Disney would still own Miramax.  I'd love to see the folks who did Master and Commander turned loose on the wars between the Jedi and Sith, or Ridley Scott re-united the crew from Blackhawk Down and Gladiator to do justice to the Clone Wars.  How about Daniel Day-Lewis and Scorcese doing a trilogy about Darth Revan?

Hell, I'd rather see Branagh doing Star Wars movies than Whedon.