NEWS

Skyfall-- 007 James Bond's New film

• 33 Replies

Xabulba

• Newb
  • E Pluribus Weirdum
« Reply #15 on: <11-04-11/0943:32> »
I'll watch it. The Nu-Bond movies are tons better than any other non Connery bond movie.
As an aside Craigs bond is actually a re-skined Jason Borne, not saying it's bad in fact it's really good but it's not really Bond.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <11-04-11/0949:22> »
I think Connery would come out on top. Maybe a little shaken, not stirred by the event, though ;)

According to the BBC Blog, Connery and Craig both decided to quit and go settle things like men... with a drinking contest.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #17 on: <11-04-11/1024:58> »
I think Connery would come out on top. Maybe a little shaken, not stirred by the event, though ;)

According to the BBC Blog, Connery and Craig both decided to quit and go settle things like men... with a drinking contest.

See, there's something that Lazenby might have won ;)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <11-04-11/1033:08> »
Lazenby was a great Bond.  Really undersung Bond.  Shame he was only in one.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-04-11/1035:02> »
After reading a few of the novels, I'd have to say Craig is closer to the novel Bond than the others.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <11-04-11/1035:47> »

Yeah - it's a pity he cancelled his contract.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <11-04-11/1045:41> »
Actually, Lazenby came in because Connery decided to retire. George decided during filming he only wanted to make one. After that, they practically begged Sean to come back.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is also well known for the fact that Bond actually gets married (to Mrs. Emma Peel!) in the movie.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #22 on: <11-04-11/1049:29> »
The only Bond actors I like are Connery and Brosnan.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <11-04-11/1057:11> »

Yeah - it's a pity he cancelled his contract.

I can respect his decision though.  It is hard when you step into a role made what he is by someone else.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #24 on: <11-04-11/1124:01> »
Hell, if he wasn't retired, Sean Connery could still be Bond!  Post-Cold War Retired Bond, but still Bond.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <11-04-11/1155:02> »
No matter who else plays Bond, Connery will always be Bond.

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #26 on: <11-04-11/1256:43> »
Meh. I gave up on Bond when they made him blond. And while there was some decent violence, there wasn't any of the suaveness you expect from Bond. This new Bond is somewhere below Roger Moore in my estimation.
Craig is actually much closer to the literary Bond than pretty much any of his predecessors. Connery's films had some of the grit, but even then he was kind of gadget-prone.

EDIT: I see someone else already pointed this out. I read the novels as a kid, and it bothered me a little that the films never shared more than a title with their respective books. The Man with the Golden Gun, in particular, was far superior as a novel.

FWIW, if I'm going to be watching gadget-Bond, I prefer Roger Moore, since he never took himself that seriously, and nobody should when they're fighting a steel-jawed man in outer space. For "serious" Bond, I like Daniel Craig, which is funny, because I hated the first film I saw him in (Layer Cake, which was a dime-store rehash of Snatch/Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels).
« Last Edit: <11-04-11/1300:57> by jonathanc »

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-04-11/1720:12> »
...and it bothered me a little that the films never shared more than a title with their respective books.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was an Ian Flemming novel. Disney got the rights...and just used the name.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <11-04-11/1726:57> »
...and it bothered me a little that the films never shared more than a title with their respective books.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was an Ian Flemming novel. Disney got the rights...and just used the name.

Sounds like a good name for a movie about poker and guns. ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <11-04-11/1935:20> »
Sounds like a good name for a movie about poker and guns. ;)
I'm already working on two projects.

DON'T give me a third, damnit!   :-\
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11