NEWS

Dongles on Internal commlinks?

• 103 Replies

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #90 on: <03-19-16/0116:39> »
cause you totally could do it twenty dreking years ago he'll cyberpunk let's you do it
Previously, nanites were thrown at the issue of creating conducting paths throughout the body, and if there was a problem, it meant not enough nanites being used.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #91 on: <03-19-16/0259:01> »
cause you totally could do it twenty dreking years ago he'll cyberpunk let's you do it
Previously, nanites were thrown at the issue of creating conducting paths throughout the body, and if there was a problem, it meant not enough nanites being used.
so in 2050 SR3 had nano machines...

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #92 on: <03-23-16/2229:51> »
This is not 1e,2e,3e or 4e... induction datjacks and the rest have not been introduced in 5e.
HEADware- nothing else says it goes iin the head quite like this.
Of course, do as you please in your own game as always.
If it makes sense to your group it's all good.
And the additional eye mount is eyeware, therefore it obviously can only go inside your eye.

It's a header for convenient grouping, not a requirement.
« Last Edit: <03-23-16/2238:28> by Blue Rose »

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #93 on: <03-23-16/2247:37> »
so in 2050 SR3 had nano machines...
I'd suggest reading the relevant cyber tech books, rather than making such comments.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #94 on: <03-25-16/0734:04> »
In 2050 SR DID have nanotech; it simply wasn't the level of nanite action you saw after the Arcology Shutdown.  Nanites in that time were less 'micro machines' than they were 'magnetically-guided carriers', necessary for the implantation of quite a few different sorts of tech, but primarily nerve-interacting stuff - datajacks, wired reflexes, vehicle control rigs, etc.

I've been chewing on the 'why implant a commlink / cyberdeck / rigger control console if the only way to repair its Matrix damage is by taking it apart?' issue for a little while, and I think I'm split.  I believe I'd go with a house rule that blends the two viewpoints: 'surgery' of a sort is necessary, but it isn't too much more than slicing open your head down to the skull, spinning out a couple of screws, and pulling the commlink/cyberdeck out of the slot.  There's gonna be blood, and stitches (or at least surgical glue) is going to be necessary, and you're going to take physical damage, even with all that it won't be more than one or two boxes of your Physical track worth.

In regards to dongles, my rule is 'yes, but' - with the 'but' being that the commlink has a port of sorts available, but you're going to have to modify the dongle to fit flush into the commlink, and once it's in your head, it ain't getting changed without surgery (i.e. the above cut-and-unscrew bit).  But the essence of the port is going to be there, you just aren't going to be able to switch it out with anything resembling swiftness and ease.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #95 on: <03-25-16/1853:29> »
You think this, and all I'm thinking is, "taser."   :P

There are many ways it can go, and most of them aren't necessarily wrong or even mutually exclusive.  You can have one person with an internal con link buried so deep it takes surgery to get to it sitting next to someone with a shallow-implant commlink under a layer of synthskin or in a skin pocket, that you could get to quite easily for dongle swapping, next to a third person with their commlink buried deep, but theirs has a port for dongles attached to their datajack, next to a fourth person who has that same port boldly in the middle of their forehead for taser dongle headbutts.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #96 on: <03-25-16/1954:41> »
Yeah, I'd have a surface port for your dongles to dangle from in case of internal commlinks. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #97 on: <03-26-16/1157:46> »
That's called a datajack.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #98 on: <03-26-16/1222:42> »
Uh, does a commlink need a DNI port to plug in a dongle?  Seems unlikely.  And it still wouldn't fill the role of a datajack. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #99 on: <03-26-16/1435:08> »
Data Jacks plug in to universal data connectors. So does a dongle. Thus if you have an internal commlink, you should be able to plug a dongle into your data jack to get the dongle functionality. Seems logical to me.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #100 on: <03-26-16/1559:07> »
However... the Universal Data Connector seems to be the future's version of USBs. And plugging a Commlink dongle into your Datajack, which just happens to be implanted into the same body as the internal Commlink, sounds kinda like plugging a USB into one thing which just happens to be on the same network as something else.

They've said that they don't want to allow RCCs or Cyberdecks to use Commlink dongles, even though they "function like a Commlink" b/c they aren't truly a Commlink. They do a lot of the same things, but they aren't actually a Commlink. By that logic, you shouldn't be able to plug into a Datajack, or a UDC on your Cyber Arm, and have it work either. It's meant to be connected to a Commlink, and that's where it should go.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #101 on: <03-26-16/1604:00> »
I'd disagree with that, Marcus, simply because I think the dongle can perform it's purpose as long as a commlink is connected to the network somewhere.

To each their own; table call, ultimately.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #102 on: <03-26-16/2359:39> »
Anime robot-rabbit-ears!!
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #103 on: <03-27-16/0008:30> »

And now I'm seeing the amalgamation of Jack Sparrow and Kane... dear GOD that is a terrifying prospect.

And by terrifying you mean awesome
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."