NEWS

[SR5] Ares Light Fire 75 - totally useless?

• 48 Replies

norskface

• Newb
« Reply #45 on: <02-14-14/1240:08> »
Wait...!!!
"includes a smartgun system" doesnt meen to me that it has an internal smartgun system. Because this is also possible on some weppons, but than its stated "includes an internal smartgun system".
It just meens it can be barrel or top mlunted.

What I only wonder is, if you want to have the same gun with an internal smartgun system, if you have to pay dubble the price like normal, or (gun-price of smartgunsystem)*2?

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <02-15-14/0925:04> »
I don't really think it's unrealistic for a suppressor and a gas vent system to be mounted on the same weapon.

In real life, suppressors have the side effect of reducing felt recoil by trapping the gasses of the weapon to be more slowly released.  They give the gasses something to push on, and cool the gasses so that they don't exit the weapon with as much speed or force.  This means that the push from the recoil happens over a slightly longer period of time, which greatly reduces the >impulse< of the recoil on your grip.

Gas Vent systems vector gas to provide a push-forward effect to counteract felt recoil in much the same way, only more and better.  The two concepts are compatible.  While the Suppressor does reduce the speed at which the gasses act on the Gas Vent, it's still the same amount of gas exiting the barrel and acting on the Gas Vent.  In effect, the suppressor does a good deal of the gas vent's job, and the gas vent just takes the ball the rest of the way into the no-recoil end zone.

In practice, the reason Gas Vents and Suppressors should be mutually exclusive is when they are both after-market additions, which puts them on the end of the barrel where they can interact with the escaping gasses.  Installing both would be impractical and difficult, though not necessarily impossible.  I can definitely see the suppressor being stressed out by the gas vent system, and durability would be a problem, if they could even be mounted to each other. Integral Gas Vent and Suppressor systems are engineered into the design of the weapon, leaving room for both accessories to be installed.

For my personal edification I would like to see a Gas Vent/Suppressor combo, or more depth on suppressor design, but that's the gun nut/gear head in me talking.

I do like how they both take up the same slot.  It means that our characters have to make a intelligent choices about how we want our weapons to function, and that informs on who the characters are.  Much more important, don't you think?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #47 on: <02-15-14/1023:57> »
I'm hoping that Run & Gun goes into more detail about how to install modifications into guns (especially integral mods).  Right now, guns have these "slots" that can be filled by mods:

External, over barrel
External, under barrel
External, barrel
External, grip
Integral x 1000

What I'd like to see is a system like this:
External, over barrel
External, under barrel
External, barrel
External, grip
Integral, barrel
Integral, frame
Integral, magazine
Integral, grip
Integral, chamber

That would give GMs and players a great deal of guidance about how these mods work.  It would also potentially force players to make choices about how they modify their weapons.  And of course, if people don't want to use a system like that they don't have to.  Assuming Run & Gun doesn't cover this level of detail, it would be a good houserule to implement, I think.  I don't personally have enough time to playtest the potential balance issues of each of these mods when Run & Gun comes out, but I'm sure that we as a community could do something.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #48 on: <02-15-14/1248:24> »
I don't expect that amount of detail. SR4 simply had Integral + 6 Internal Mod Space.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!