NEWS

What's up with Dumpshock?

• 8 Replies

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« on: <03-22-12/1900:08> »
Do the admins never accept new members or something? I have been waiting for a week to get posting rights.
*Sigh*
Would anyone who is a member of Dumpshock consider posting to the Chummer Character Generator thread that Foci and Spirits don't have a maximum Force for me? He has Spirits capped to 10 and Foci at 6 last I checked. I can't post, and I can't PM Nebular. The board won't let me. I would greatly appreciate it, and it could improve Chummer for everyone too. :)

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-23-12/0531:52> »
Email an admin. That's how I got mine.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #2 on: <03-23-12/1055:49> »
posted it to the thread and mentioned your problem to the relevant thread
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #3 on: <03-23-12/1059:36> »
From the stickied message at the top of the general discussion forum:

"For a number of reasons automated activation of accounts are disabled. Given the number of issues this has resolved related to the Terms of Service [ See link in the upper left corner], this process will not be changing anytime soon.

To have your new account activated, once you create an account, simply send an email (from the account you registered with) to forums (a) dumpshock.com requesting activation.

Thank you for your understanding,
-Redjack"

A little while back CAPTCHA anti-robot systems were "cracked", meaning that those little distorted words that some sites asked you to re-type to prove that you're human? Automated systems using pretty sophisticated image recognition could read the distorted words anyway and get past it.

Around the same time, Dumpshock experienced a huge increase in spam accounts being created and used to post links to malware and other bad stuff. It probably wasn't a coincidence.

So, you need to directly mail Redjack.

-k

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #4 on: <03-23-12/1149:50> »
Okay, how would one just delete a Dumpshock account entirely then? If having new people is such a burden to them that they can't keep up with activating new accounts without being emailed, then they apparently just don't want new members at all, so screw them.
And we don't want people like that anyway i guess . . .

@Mason
Here, answer from Nebular in the Chummer Generator Thread

Foci were changed to allow up to Rating 18 a couple of weeks ago. Should just be a matter of running the update and downloading the updated data files.

Spirits are not cpaped to a Force of 10. If they're being created as Critters, they're capped at Force 100 (it's completely insane as a Spirit of Earth would have an Unarmed Combat pool of 198, deal 58S damage before modifiers, be immune to all damage, and have 60 Physical CM boxes, but I need to set some sort of upper limit wink.gif). If it's a Spirit that's being added to a Magician on the Sells & Spirits tab, then the Force of the Spirit is capped to 2 x their MAG Rating. This is possibly what's causing the confusion. If the character has MAG 5, they can only summon a Spirit up to MAG x 2 Force as per the rules. If they increase their MAG, the maximum Force field raises its cap to 2 x the new MAG Rating as well.

I found it a real pain to get registered on these forums as well. I had to send a message to Redjack to finally get my account activated since nobody gave me permissions and I couldn't post in the place where new users were supposed to go to prove they're not spammers. He might have better luck contacting Redjack directly as well.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <03-23-12/1155:37> »
Okay, how would one just delete a Dumpshock account entirely then? If having new people is such a burden to them that they can't keep up with activating new accounts without being emailed, then they apparently just don't want new members at all, so screw them.
Well, you see, the actual trick is you have to hack your way into an account in order to be a member.

Very Shadowrun that way.  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #6 on: <03-23-12/2348:07> »

I would point out that it's annoying as hell to wake up EVERY SINGLE MORNING having to clean up multiple spam messages infesting every forum because the spam bots are effortlessly breaching the anti-bot CAPTCHA. This went on for weeks. The admins would delete spam accounts as fast as they could, but it still got to the point where there were more spam messages than actual legitimate posts.

Going to a manual approval system just makes sense if the automated system isn't working. Especially since Redjack and company run the board as a free service and really have no obligation to do ANYTHING.

It's sending a single e-mail. I don't see why this engenders such a hyperbolic response.

-k
« Last Edit: <03-23-12/2352:00> by KarmaInferno »

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #7 on: <03-25-12/1703:23> »
Oh, my goodness, thank you! I missed that message about having to email to activate the account! I'll go take care of it.

Thank you especially, Stahlseele, for doing that for me. I apparently have an out of date Chummer and my auto update feature is off. So it was all my own problem anyway! LOL, I am a little embarrassed now.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <03-25-12/2117:52> »
Take it easy, man.  If you end up not using the account, so be it.  But there's no need for the "so screw them" part, just relax.  There's no need for one on-line Shadowrun community to bash the other (no matter which is which).