NEWS

Some Matrix questions

• 8 Replies

Mindgaps

• Newb
« on: <02-03-11/0724:52> »
I have now returned to shadowrun after a few years absence, last campaign I ran was with 3rd Edition. So now I am trying to get my head around the 4th Edition. More specifically the matrix rules, so i will post a few questions that I hope you guys can help me sort out.

-I am not quite clear of how a hacker gathers info about nodes. I understand that a hacker can make a Matrix Perception test to observe a node in detail and that any active or passive node within Signal Range is apparent to him. Further he needs to scan the area to find hidden nodes or try to find a specific hidden node he knows should be at a location.
But take for example a hacker that comes to a new place; he see(without any tests) that there is a total 10 active and passive nodes in the area, to see any hidden nodes a Electronic Warfare+Scan is needed. But how much does he know about each node he CAN see without any further inspection? Does he only see that there is in facts nodes and must do a Matrix Perception test on each one to gather further info? Or can he see which are peripheral nodes, if an node is slaved to another node, which nodes that are connected to which etc?

-How does one find a node that is somewhere in the world? Can I use a Access ID to find a specific node? For example if I want to find a website is the Access ID the same as the websites URL?

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-03-11/0832:58> »
I can help with some of this.
But how much does he know about each node he CAN see without any further inspection?

One way of handling this would be that your GM rolls your matrix perception every time a coffee pot or parking meter enters your signal range, as per the rules on page 228 SR4A. I would not suggest that, though, I'd talk to your GM about buying hits. Unless that coffee pot is making your coffee too hot, or the parking meter is overcharging you, this is not a stressful situation to observe them. Your GM can use the "Buying Hits" table on pg. 62 of SR4A to determine how many hits your character gets just by passively observing a node. The amount of hits you buy determines how many pieces of information on pg 228 your character would know about the node. Now the info that is revealed in this manner is up to the GM.

For instance, if your character had a Matrix Perception that looked like this: Computer 4 + Analyze 4 = 8 dice, you could buy 2 hits, which means your GM might just clue you in if you pass a node with a data bomb on it, or what the Access ID of a user on that node is.

Bottom line is, unless you are spending a simple action to actively perform a Matrix perception test, it's really up to your GM what information you get from nearby nodes passively.

Mindgaps

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-03-11/0850:05> »
I can help with some of this.
But how much does he know about each node he CAN see without any further inspection?

One way of handling this would be that your GM rolls your matrix perception every time a coffee pot or parking meter enters your signal range, as per the rules on page 228 SR4A. I would not suggest that, though, I'd talk to your GM about buying hits. Unless that coffee pot is making your coffee too hot, or the parking meter is overcharging you, this is not a stressful situation to observe them. Your GM can use the "Buying Hits" table on pg. 62 of SR4A to determine how many hits your character gets just by passively observing a node. The amount of hits you buy determines how many pieces of information on pg 228 your character would know about the node. Now the info that is revealed in this manner is up to the GM.

For instance, if your character had a Matrix Perception that looked like this: Computer 4 + Analyze 4 = 8 dice, you could buy 2 hits, which means your GM might just clue you in if you pass a node with a data bomb on it, or what the Access ID of a user on that node is.

Bottom line is, unless you are spending a simple action to actively perform a Matrix perception test, it's really up to your GM what information you get from nearby nodes passively.

Thanks for your reply Joe.
Using the "Buying hits" rule is a smooth way of handling the situation when there is a large number of nodes. But then I have understood the rules correctly, one doesn't really know anything about a node without observing them in detail? Which would also mean that a hacker that wants to thoroughly wants to check out a bunch of nodes must spend one simple action with each node.
Which brings up another question, does a hacker have to subscribe to a node to do a Matrix Perception on it?

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #3 on: <02-03-11/0904:02> »
depends a bit on the mode of the node i think. A active mode node is a bit like walking around with a sign with big letters on it giving out basic info. A passive one would be like a id card in a pocket. A hidden one would not provide any at all.

That access id a bit funny tho. On the one hand it is used for various purposes to id the device (and my extension, the user), is a primary component in various spoof attacks, yet it is broadcast to anyone within range while using active mode.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Mindgaps

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-03-11/1130:52> »
depends a bit on the mode of the node i think. A active mode node is a bit like walking around with a sign with big letters on it giving out basic info. A passive one would be like a id card in a pocket. A hidden one would not provide any at all.

That access id a bit funny tho. On the one hand it is used for various purposes to id the device (and my extension, the user), is a primary component in various spoof attacks, yet it is broadcast to anyone within range while using active mode.

I guess a way of playing it is to consider actives nodes to be nodes that "want" to be seen, passive nodes give out info on a need to know basis.

So with Access ID; if you are running a website and want to people to find it you broadcast the ID so people can easily find it. If there is a risk of spoofing you let the node go on passive and withhold Access ID as far as possible.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-11/1406:33> »
Here's how I've been interpreting the matrix perception rules: As a free action, you can detect all active & passive nodes within Signal range (p. 229). As a simple action, you can set your Analyze program to analyze all icons in a node and report any new icons that appear (p. 228). In both cases, you also get the icons' basic appearance tags, so that the local node (or your reality filter) can render them properly. However, nodes can report false information, and in particular a Stealth program will make an icon look innocuous.

If your Analyze program is set to scan, it will also automatically analyze each node once, during the initial scan and as new icons arrive. If you know which node you're interested in (from obvious sculpting, partial analysis, or data search), you can use Analyze to probe further. Note that this will stop auto-analysis unless you have two copies of the program. If you don't know what you need to analyze, you can use Data Search to find it.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-11/1436:15> »
Now I'm confused as to what the node is being interpreted as. I've always thought of it as a website or a virtual business so wouldn't a quick search reveal the place? Data Search. Then if you didn't find it but know it exists then you do all the hidden node stuff? And shouldn't we assume that a experienced hacker would know when and when not to be doing node research? He walks by a coffee pot he knows he won't care what is in there but if he walks by an ATM and needs money, he could be more interested? I'm sorry if I sound really really dumb, I am just starting to get above the learning curve.
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-11/1449:20> »
OK, using the Web analogy: A node is like a Web page, and a company will often have many in their network. Active nodes are advertised home pages, the obvious stuff you get when you look for something like http://neonet.example. Passive nodes don't advertise, but they're still clearly linked if you look for them. Hidden nodes aren't linked at all; you need to guess their URLs.

Everything on a Web page is an "icon," and you'll normally download them all. Some things will stand out immediately. For others, you'll need Data Search to locate them on the page. Either way, you use Analyze to get detailed information.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #8 on: <02-07-11/0355:25> »
Really, a node is an abstract concept.  It can be an entire computer system, a single device, or, potentially, one of several systems running on a single device. 

As to analysis, there are several things to consider.  First off, Agents are everywhere.  Unwired's section on MSPs (matrix service providers) says that medium service generally comes with an Agent.  So, any Average Joe with a medium lifestyle or medium entertainment budget can assume an Agent to Scan, Analyze, Browse and otherwise sort the information swirling all around.  Biz certainly won't work with a Meta-link or other rinky-dink comm, but it works fine for anyone with a little more power.  After all, when you're walking around in AR, Response loss from running too many programs only matters if it hits 0.