NEWS

Hacking Cyberware or PAN

• 26 Replies

Arael

• Newb
« on: <12-20-10/1032:26> »
I know this has been asked a lot of times but I will make a different question about the same thing this time.

Unwired explains the rules of hacking cyberware and give you some tips about the security of your PAN one of them is slaving your cyberware (Or other stuff like your weapons) to your commlink to make it safer.

But my question is... Wireless Cyberware (Or stuff like the Smartlink) normally have a REALLY low signal (Signal 0) so the attacker has practically hug you to hack your Cyberware (Or stuff) and in that case you can finish that bastard with a good punch or Katana of Monowhip or <Put your favorite weapon here>.

But if you slave it to your Uber ultra cool Commlink with signal 5 you can get hacker from a mile away since they can hack your commlink and mess with all your cyberware (And other stuff of your PAN) so my question is... is really a good option to really slave your cyberware (Or low signal stuff) to your commlink?

Another question is... do Commlinks have a "option" to lower their signal? Can I "click" on "Options > Set Signal rate" or something like that?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #1 on: <12-20-10/1055:43> »
The best option is to just have the wireless removed from all gear and cyberware completely, and run it purely via DNI, or skinlink if necessary. The only gear that should have wireless is stuff that NEEDS wireless to function.

Your commlink and all other hackable stuff should be on a different "circuit" or network from the stuff that doesn't need wireless to work.

-k

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <12-20-10/1659:24> »
Remember how wireless topology works, I can talk to any device with any device under one of two conditions:

1. Mutual Signal range (this is where your Signal 0 cyberware is protected)
2. Daisy chain through devices (without hacking, accessing, or anything, just piggy-backing my message) that each have mutual signal range with one or more of the other devices. In other words, if I'm in mutual signal range with a truck that's in mutual signal range with a toaster, which in turn is in mutual signal range with your commlink which is (finally) in mutual signal range of your wireless cyberware, I can hack your cyberware.

This is discussed in the Matrix Topology section of SR4A, pages 217 and 218.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Arael

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-20-10/1710:07> »
Remember how wireless topology works, I can talk to any device with any device under one of two conditions:

1. Mutual Signal range (this is where your Signal 0 cyberware is protected)
2. Daisy chain through devices (without hacking, accessing, or anything, just piggy-backing my message) that each have mutual signal range with one or more of the other devices. In other words, if I'm in mutual signal range with a truck that's in mutual signal range with a toaster, which in turn is in mutual signal range with your commlink which is (finally) in mutual signal range of your wireless cyberware, I can hack your cyberware.

This is discussed in the Matrix Topology section of SR4A, pages 217 and 218.

Good point you have there... But if I have my cyberware (Or smartgun) in hidden mode doesn't they have to connect to them only with the first option?

By the way any answer about changing the Signal value of your stuff without changing hardware? I mean if I have a Commlink with hardware that let me have Signal 5 can I change it by software or something to make it signal 1 temporally?
« Last Edit: <12-20-10/1726:58> by Arael »

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #4 on: <12-20-10/1717:18> »
I would imagine you could do that.  If not, somebody go invent a Signal modulator.  NOW!

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <12-20-10/1731:42> »
Good point you have there... But if I have my cyberware (Or smartgun) in hidden mode doesn't they have to connect to them only with the first option?

By the way any answer about changing the Signal value of your stuff without changing hardware? I mean if I have a Commlink with hardware that let me have Signal 5 can I change it by software or something to make it signal 1 temporally?

Unless I have reason to believe you've got cyberware & a rough idea of where said cyberware is. Then, I can use the Detect Hidden Node action (pg. 230, SR4A) which specifically only requires mutual signal range if I'm doing a general search for hidden nodes without any clues.

So, if I can see your cyberlimb from a mile away, if I have any type of matrix connection that brings me in communication with your area, I can then attempt to detect your hidden cyberlimb node, if I succeed, I can access it normally.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Arael

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-20-10/1734:04> »

Unless I have reason to believe you've got cyberware & a rough idea of where said cyberware is. Then, I can use the Detect Hidden Node action (pg. 230, SR4A) which specifically only requires mutual signal range if I'm doing a general search for hidden nodes without any clues.

So, if I can see your cyberlimb from a mile away, if I have any type of matrix connection that brings me in communication with your area, I can then attempt to detect your hidden cyberlimb node, if I succeed, I can access it normally.

Thanks for the info I tough you needed mutual signal range even if you knew what you where looking for.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #7 on: <12-20-10/1736:10> »
Thanks for the info I tough you needed mutual signal range even if you knew what you where looking for.
Just do what we do in my group: carry around a bunch of cheap commlinks to toss at the enemy thus increasing our effective signal range and getting us within theirs.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-10/0021:42> »
The way i read the "locate hidden node" rules is that you need to be within the broadcast range of the target node (or be subscribed to a node that is) to find it, by basically sorting all the wireless traffic until your left with something that is coming from a node you can not account for. Knowing where a node is physically located allows you to sort out those signals that comes from the wrong direction. There would still be a need for mutual range to hack in however.

Oh, and i think Unwired or SR4A clarified that only active mode nodes retransmit traffic.

As for tossing comlinks, i think i would use RFIDs with gecko coatings instead ;)
Want to see my flash new jacket?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #9 on: <12-21-10/0048:52> »
Remember that merely slaving your connection will NOT protect against someone who has detected your hidden node and attempts to spoof the connection.

The best defense against wireless hacking is not to have wireless.

-k

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-21-10/0830:41> »
My old group used gas grenades filled with mesh tags to create a Matrix-active area around people they didn't like...
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <12-21-10/1049:55> »
Another question is... do Commlinks have a "option" to lower their signal? Can I "click" on "Options > Set Signal rate" or something like that?

The only information I ever found about this is the last sentence of SR4 page 266, "Commlinks, Credsticks, and ID":

"For security purposes, such data can also be transmitted at a lower Signal rating, via a short-range, line-of-sight infrared beam connection, or by physically linking the commlink to a terminal and transmitting by fiberoptic cable."

This loosely implies that commlinks can't be set to lower signal ratings.  I personally disagree with that, and allow characters to lower their commlink signal ratings if they choose.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #12 on: <12-21-10/1107:49> »
If rules don't work, apply logic. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #13 on: <12-21-10/1418:06> »
As for tossing comlinks, i think i would use RFIDs with gecko coatings instead ;)
RFID tags can't be rigged with explosives though.  And I like that option.  If the hacking fails (or they just shoot the link) BOOM!  Either way, problem solved.  ;D

My old group used gas grenades filled with mesh tags to create a Matrix-active area around people they didn't like...
One more thing to stuff in a grenade.  Thanks for the idea.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #14 on: <01-08-11/1515:14> »
If you have
Signal 0  =  Range 3m
And I have commlink with
Signal 4 = range 1 km

Then you ae in reach if you are anywhere within 1.003 km. So the argument that your CW is protected by low signal rating is no use... so why bother about lowering your signal. Most of my players have Signal 5 or 6 comlinks. That means 5-10 km area. If anyone would be able to hacky your CW, he will be equiped for it, the only think you should do about it is:
a) Have your CW hardwired
b) Have an area jammer with superior rating and propper signal window to make your ware work (i think that Jammer should work in selective mode, alowing you tooperate on randomly chosen frequencies, when it is synchronized with your PAN)