NEWS

Agent Cluster - would that really work?

• 66 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« on: <12-28-14/0840:16> »
I have to admit, as GM I've never invested much interest into the matrix rules and even less as a player.

Since Run Faster has brought back the Restricted Gear quality, it's pretty easy to gain access to a Grade 6 Agent.
That got me thinking: Would it be possible to string together a few low level Agent programs to aid an Agent 6 and leave all the heavy lifting regarding Matrix security, open doors and disabling security to your fellow dog brain?

The setup I have in mind, would look like this:

You have 2x Erika MCD-1 Decks with the Virtual Machine program and two Agents 3

These two decks work exclusively for a Novatech Navigator with an Agent 6 and all the usual common and hacker cyber programs. The 4 Agents support the Agent 6 with Teamwork checks, so its limit and dice pool is increased by ca. 4 for each action

As far as I can see, the whole setup would cost about  332 000 and only need appropriate knowledge skills, a bit of computer skill and a big red off button to keep the whole setup from gaining sentience and turning on you...

My question for those more knowledgeable regarding the Matrix rules - would that really work?
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <12-28-14/0902:09> »
Do a search on this topic for thread I started a few months back.
It can work in limited situations, issue I see is agent doesn't have access to all the skills a decker does like e.w. For example.

Search on Sony pocket hacker I think
« Last Edit: <12-28-14/0915:00> by adzling »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-28-14/0923:18> »
Thanks, will do
talk think matrix

adzling

« Reply #3 on: <12-28-14/0931:11> »
Although my scenario was different (single rating 6 agent on a good deck) it has parAllels.
We used it as a decker in a box to hardwire to an access point inside a host to bypass the host firewall and directly unlock maglocks and such until we managed to find a decker runner.

grid_tapper

« Reply #4 on: <12-28-14/0932:26> »
The way the rules are worded there is no support for a single player using more than one agent... >:(
So multiple agents can't run teamwork test for each other in a single round if you consider the wording in the rule book.....
 I think a setup like that would have to be run by three seperate characters without some custom rules written.

It's a good idea just the same and when I run into problems like that I go to the program creation rules from 4th edition for some idea....

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-28-14/0953:59> »
I found the discussion (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18029.0)

Very interesting and useful info.

@Shonen_Mask
Could you direct me to were that limit on agents is mentioned? I was under the impression that an agent is just a program and only limited by the available slots.
talk think matrix

grid_tapper

« Reply #6 on: <12-28-14/1014:13> »
I don't know the exact pages but......
I can tell you that they imply the the the character's matrix actions include giving an instruction  to the agent which take place in the same round. And only so many actions can be completed in a round.....

8-bit

« Reply #7 on: <12-28-14/1054:32> »
Er, how does a limit of the number of actions imply anything about the limit on agents? They are two separate things. You can run multiple agents on a deck, although it's not recommended. Still can be useful for stuff like multiple Matrix Searches and sifting through data with Matrix Perception checks.

adzling

« Reply #8 on: <12-28-14/1127:27> »
I'm pretty sure you can only run one agent on a deck, not sure why you couldn't run multiple agents each on their own deck.

8-bit

« Reply #9 on: <12-28-14/1132:34> »
I'm pretty sure you can only run one agent on a deck, not sure why you couldn't run multiple agents each on their own deck.

I just am curious where this notion of "only one per deck" being a thing comes from.

Quote from: Core Book of SR5; page 246
Agents are autonomous programs that are rated from 1 to 6. Each agent occupies one program slot on your deck. Agents use the Matrix attributes of the device they run on, and their rating (up to 6) for attributes. Agents also have the Computer, Hacking, and Cybercombat skills at a rating equal to their own. An agent runs as a program and can use programs running on the same device as them.

You can have your agent perform Matrix actions for you. When an agent is running, it has its own persona (and icon). An agent is about as smart as a pilot program of the same rating (Pilot Programs, p. 269).

Any attack on an agent damages the device on which it is running, rather than the agent itself (which is, after all, merely a program). This means that if you’re running an agent on your deck, you and it share the same Matrix Condition Monitor.

There is nothing saying there is a limit; you can have 1 Agent per Program Slot you have. And that is dangerous, especially with lower rating Agents.

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <12-28-14/1139:08> »
My vague feeling was obviously wrong! Thanks for digging that up.

8-bit

« Reply #11 on: <12-28-14/1140:08> »
I hope I didn't come across as insulting or anything. Just had me confused that everyone seemed to have that opinion, when I couldn't find any mention of it in the book.

adzling

« Reply #12 on: <12-28-14/1143:49> »
Not at all 8 bit.
I appreciate it when someone who thinks they are correct sticks to their guns and backs it up with facts.
It helps everyone.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-28-14/1157:53> »
Thanks for the clarification 8-bit.
I'm aware of the danger multiple low level agents pose to a system (that's why I'd install them on two separate, comparatively cheap decks instead of the main deck).

The lack of Electronic Warfare on the Agents side is unfortunate. It seems the setup would be best managed by the the team rigger.

Edit:
I've just looked through the matrix actions section to identify what an Agent can't do + possible workarounds:

Software:
set/disarm data bomb: No real workaround comes to mind. Here you need to either rely on your luck/Edge or invest in skill wires

Electronic Warfare:
Check Overwatch Score: Workaround with the Baby Monitor program
Control Device: Workaround with the Spoof command
Hide: Workaround: Reboot
Jam Signals: Workaround: Just buy a god damn jammer
Jump Into Rigged Device: Workaround: May be Spoof command, if you don't mind to have the drones/vehicles dog brain to do all the work
Snoop: Workaround: Maybe through the Edit action
« Last Edit: <12-28-14/1528:10> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <12-28-14/1448:29> »
Nice work jack, now you just need to summarize cost and dice pools for both approaches (agent cluster on bunch o cheap decks or on a single more expensive deck) and whether it makes sense to run software or just more agents and teamwork it.
Once you do that you got an in-Game product to sell ;-)