NEWS

TacNet Software as a Complex Form?

• 12 Replies

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« on: <11-23-10/1854:23> »
I could swear I saw an option to learn TacNet software as a Complex Form for Technomancers somewhere, but now I can't find the rules anywhere. Am I imagining things? or can someone point me to a page number?
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <11-23-10/1909:09> »
Quote from:  Arsenal, pg. 136, Adopting Software sidebar
     In theory, a technomancer can adapt any piece of software by mimicking the program with a complex form that he shapes (by threading or learning) based on the original. Since a number of programs such as Sensor software (p. 60, Arsenal) or tacsofts (p. 125) require connections to sensors, databases, and/or other auxiliary data, a technomancer can only use complex forms based on that software if he has a connection to such sensors, databases, or auxiliary components. Individual gamemasters may choose whether to allow this in their games.

That's the only thing I see.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #2 on: <11-23-10/1913:41> »
Cool, thanks. I think that may have been it.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #3 on: <11-23-10/2136:39> »
The techno would have to run it server side. So everyone else linked in would count as 1 subscription to the techno's brain.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-23-10/2305:19> »
OR you could always have everyone with their own Tacnet software, or a second network independant of the Techno's brain which they join.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-24-10/0112:55> »
The techno would have to run it server side. So everyone else linked in would count as 1 subscription to the techno's brain.
He only would need to do that if running his emulated tactical software in centralized mode, with everyone else's commlink slaved to his bionode.

If running it the more usual, peer-to-peer like way, he simply exchange informations. It's a CF, but to the outside world it still communicate using the standards protocols.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0114:59> by Dahrken »

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <11-24-10/0228:59> »
Spare commlink with TacNet serversoftware running on it, slaved to the TMs brain. Problem solved.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #7 on: <11-24-10/0342:21> »
Yeah, sorry, I read an implied "in place of the party having Tac-net" as opposed to "in order to link up with a pre-existing one."

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-24-10/0347:35> »
Considering that in order to emulate and learn the TacNet CF the 'mancer has to have access to the program I would think at least one other copy in the group is likely. 

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #9 on: <11-24-10/0728:20> »
But you have to houserule the Rating, because TacNet-Software is capped on rating 4 and the TacNet-CF isn't. Here decides only the GM, if or if not.

And the learning part doesn't need the software version, it only needs...
... a technomancer that knows the CF and can teach him/her.
... a (free) sprite that knows it and can teach him/her.

But he/she could get it without learning per threading, anyway.

A TM with a TacNet-CF as Master is a classic move, and shields the whole team from mundan hackers.

Btw: A Simrig-CF, gives the ability to use all of your natural 5 senses as sensor channels for your TacNet-CF (be it as Master or in a joined TacNet, whatever...), without any tech.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0741:04> by Ultra Violet »

FoxBoy

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <11-27-10/0138:04> »
Have simrig and tacnet both as CF's, and your golden. Not only can you add in your natural five, you can also possibly (with the GM's consent) tie in the results of your scanning and sniffing software to pin point the source of EM transmissions... and you can start nailing people by their 'hidden' commlinks alone.

Mind you, sprites can have the tacnet as well as a program. It's a bit more limited, but a sprite that goes hot into a drone with it's own tacnet? Now we're talking.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-27-10/1246:40> »
Btw: A Simrig-CF, gives the ability to use all of your natural 5 senses as sensor channels for your TacNet-CF (be it as Master or in a joined TacNet, whatever...), without any tech.

The TacNet does not count Taste, or Touch.  A Simrig (or Simrig CF) gives you "Visual, audio, or olfactory sensesrecorded via simrig each count as a sensor channel".  If you have Thermal or Low Light vision naturally you get +1 channel for each of those.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #12 on: <11-27-10/1405:49> »
@Dakka
You're right. But my main statement was "without any tech". And Simrig records all senses plus feelings if wished.

@FoxBoy
The sprite idea is a little bit more complicated...
Sprites can't get "TacSoft" as CF. The only ways they can is as free sprite or if the GM allows it (optional or as houserule).
And a Sprite is a better Agent, and an Agent is equally to a Pilot, so in fact it's nothing else as if a drone is linked into the TacNet.
But a Rigger in a drone which is linked into a TacNet uses the drones sensors as channels as well. (see Sensor Systems, Unwired p. 125)

An interesting question is: Can a TM record or link his/her E-sensing directly? A Changeling with a Electrosense or Magnetosense Quality can do it, for sure. So is it the same or is there a difference?
Sure the TM can point it out, like FoxBoy said, but would it not be cooler if the "natural" AR-/E-Sense be present as a own sensor channel? ;)
« Last Edit: <11-27-10/1410:31> by Ultra Violet »