hits or misses in Gun Heaven 2

• 120 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #30 on: <06-06-12/0814:40> »
You know what I do feel sorry about a bit:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=78

I cannot find any shotguns that are somehow radical advanced from this...THB IMo shadowrun was once SciFi/Fantasy setting...

The AA12 is in SR, renamed the AA18 (and given an availability of equal number.)  It's pretty advanced.  I mean, it was only originally conceived in 1976... ::)

As to the Krime Stopper, ffs, it's a light pistol that shoots shotgun shells!  It's somehow smaller than the hatamoto, and holds twice as many rounds.

Meanwhile a sawed off defender does heavy pistol damage...

A lot of the guns are interesting-looking, but they don't match with the pictures very well, and the stats often disagree with the included mods for the purposes of recoil.  I wanted to see a whole lot of *s in there like *Uses ___ ranges and _____ concealability.  I get that SR4 is supposed to be somewhat less complicated, but when you've got 5 books worth of guns now, complicated is in full effect.  Go with it.

Also, when are we ever going to see a stock rifle with a gasvent III?  Mooks need stock rifles they can sometimes shoot and hit with.

_Pax_

« Reply #31 on: <06-06-12/0924:11> »
The AA12 is in SR, renamed the AA18 (and given an availability of equal number.)  It's pretty advanced.  I mean, it was only originally conceived in 1976... ::)
  There really just isn't all that much you can do with a shotgun, that hasn't already been done ... aside form playing around with the actual ammunition (or in SR, updating the electronics package).  I mean, really, what advancements do you expect out of a large-diameter smoothbore weapon?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #32 on: <06-06-12/1109:32> »
Really, the same can be said for most firearms.

All a firearm is, is a tube with one closeable end. You can advance the technology of the aiming mechanisms, recoil mechanisms, and ammunition, but the actual functioning of the core elements kinda has limited options for improvement.

-k

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <06-06-12/1125:36> »
Other than Caseless Shotgun Shells?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #34 on: <06-06-12/1128:54> »
Well, that could be one, firearms that use caseless ammo need to have their firing chambers designed for it.

But that's not really a part of the "throw little bits of metal at a target" functionality.

-k

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #35 on: <06-06-12/1131:17> »
Yeah, well, when it comes to that, there hasn't been much advancement in technology.  I mean, "it throws bits of metal at targets..." is a pretty basic thing to do.

Flintlock Rifles did that.  Reloading was the only issue there.  (Well, the delay between trigger pull and firing was also an issue.).

Hell, bows and crossbows do that too, and how long have they been around?  Before the common usage of metal as the warhead, IIRC.  (Flint anyone?).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #36 on: <06-06-12/1413:39> »
Other than Caseless Shotgun Shells?
They did that already. It is called a blunderbuss.

Really, the only real new tech that's come out since the advent of the repeater rifle is electronic firing, as seen IRL with the Metal Storm, or in game with the Sakura Fubuki. Everything else is just refinements and variations on the same theme.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #37 on: <06-06-12/1503:52> »
Wasn't there some fluff in a SR fiction book about the Slivergun not using typical ammo, instead shredding a specialized block of metal into shards and propelling them towards your target?
I know it's not described like this in SR4A, but it's a pretty cool idea imho and one of the reasons it's among my favorite weapons.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <06-06-12/1620:33> »
Wasn't there some fluff in a SR fiction book about the Slivergun not using typical ammo, instead shredding a specialized block of metal into shards and propelling them towards your target?
I know it's not described like this in SR4A, but it's a pretty cool idea imho and one of the reasons it's among my favorite weapons.

I don't recall ever seeing that in Shadowrun. The guns in Mass Effect work that way.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <06-06-12/1624:06> »

Sounds like the Needler weapons from BattleTech, though they used plastic instead of metal.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #40 on: <06-06-12/1850:20> »

I don't recall ever seeing that in Shadowrun. The guns in Mass Effect work that way.

Found what I had in mind: Never Deal with a Dragon (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #1) by Robert N. Charrette.
The main character uses a slivergun, firing, quote: "a steady stream of plastic flechettes. Closely grouped needles traveling at slightly subsonic speed stitched a crimson line across the guard's chest and right shoulder..."
Hmm... must've remembered it differently. I read it before I played the game, guess my mind came up with lots of stuff for itself. I mostly remember really wanting that gun :)

So it's plastic instead of metal. Don't know where I get the idea of it being a block that's shredded and fired... may have been on the forum, lol.
Anyways, using plastic and a mechanism (instead of explosives) to shred and propel it would explain the lack of AP and why it's silenced and fits with "steady stream thing".

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <06-06-12/1921:33> »
The Slivergun is designed for use in areas with lots of sensitive equipment that could be damaged/destroyed by conventional weapons.

I think they give it to proto-Twist because it was a burst-fire weapon that wouldn't give them away, and it was doubtful he'd hurt them with it due to their body armour.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #42 on: <06-07-12/1211:31> »
I really just don't like the art. It is what it is, but I've never cared fort that big, blocky, bulgy "Judge Dredd" style of sci fi weapons.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <06-07-12/1221:35> »
I really just don't like the art. It is what it is, but I've never cared fort that big, blocky, bulgy "Judge Dredd" style of sci fi weapons.
Beats what was in the first Gun Haven Heaven.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #44 on: <06-07-12/1330:35> »
Um, Cass, weapons in Judge Dredd look a lot like what a lot of modern weapons look like.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters