NEWS

Base Campaign ideas.

• 5 Replies

Shadowseer Kim

• Newb
« on: <10-27-17/0226:15> »
1. Tell your players they are playing Cyberpunk with Shadowrun as the rule set because it is better.  But really play Paranoia.

Ok Just kind of kidding about the first option.

I have watched and read a lot of great stuff over the past couple days, and some terrible stuff too (escape from the bronx *looking at you*)

I figure I have to have my team do some thefts/burglaries/hijackings and kidnappings/extractions etc. the usual something to cut their teeth on, get em experienced operatives.

But then since I am running pre-awakening, I thought, why not hire them to say "sanitize a neighborhood" so a corporation can buy it up cheap to build on, send them off to steal medical technology which turns out to be VITAS, which makes them accessories to killing so many people and leading to the downfall of several governments.

Just a few ideas I have floating around in my head right now.

I plan to inundate them with "news" and "conspiracy theories" some of course will be true, or become self fulfilling prophecy. 

At what stage do you figure the characters should start to glean what is going on around them and they are a part of and decide to turn against the system/corps?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-29-17/0530:39> »
Depends on the players.

Generally speaking, I start the group off with their back stories as a center point so I know the angles that the players are coming from. From there, I note the  Runs they do, how they do them, and how well they pull them off all factor into the overall narrative that gets dispensed to them by way of the News and rumors. With a healthy dose of Corps-speak.

I guess it also depends on how much "leading by the nose" your players are willing to handle. Some groups expect to be hand held from objective to objective and never do anything more then the baseline required for the run, with little attempt to interact with the NPCs and environment. Meaning, they go to the meet, get the job - no trying to get anything extra or fishing for more info. they do the job exactly as told to/ put minimum effort into planning, then got directly to the Johnson to get paid. They never try to interact with anyone beyond "I call my bartender contact at rating 3/3 and ask if he knows anything about our run"

Other players seem to take extreme and perverse pleasure in trying to predict what the GM wants, and doing the exact opposite. "hmmm... The GM seems to be really pushing the narrative as this Johnson is super important... I SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE! - JUST THE SHITS AND GIGGLES!!"

And yet other players, get really engrossed into the atmosphere, and focus on the NPCs and their little pet personalities. "Yea, no, I really don't care what that Johnson wants, he not interesting at all. But Frankie that Gay Troll hooker who we talked to last week for that other job, he was interesting! We blow off the Johnson and go talk to Frankie, see what he's up to, and see if he has anything we can help him out with. Yea, he may not be able to put cash in our pockets, but he was really cool man!"

So my advice is: Learn your players before you decide on just what and how your game is going to be about. No sense in wasting all your time plotting out a campaign about moral justice and sticking to the MegaCorps if your players are going to play a bunch of Amoral assholes that think rape is a weekend pastime and will shoot their own mothers for recycling rights on her organs.   

My next piece of advice is: Plan out every possible avenue ahead of time as best you can, and have multiple runs lined up and ready to go that each have their own flavor to them. If you only expect your players to make "right handed turns" every time, you are going to be lost when they turn left... so to speak. Also, by having multiple runs ready to go, you have something to pull out if your player surprise you and don't agree to your silent data theft run because they want to shoot people with very big, loud mini-guns.

Generally speaking, I have found that the best Campaigns are the ones that grow organically through the player involvement. I usually start with a small premise for the Campaign, such as "Taking out the Mayor's office" or "removing the Yakuza from the neighbourhood", then design the first few runs to be rather open ended. usually touching of the true nature of the campaign by about the third or fourth run. However, what usually happens is the players get engrossed into the world, and follow their own path based off of their character's motivations and outlooks, which takes the Campaign down paths I never expected, and sometimes totally changing the campaign from what I originally envisioned!

Being able to adapt to what your players are directly and indirectly telling you throughout your campaign will be what makes are breaks your game, so having as many options planned out ahead of time can help you keep ahead of your players' expectations and make for successful campaign.
« Last Edit: <10-29-17/0536:01> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Shadowseer Kim

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-17/1443:09> »
I have been playing RPGs with the same group for a bit over a year now, 2 diff games, and have known all these people for a decade.   We have a pretty good feel for each other.   I guess I am into over arching plots, with smaller story arcs and sub plots.   Hooks here and there the characters can get engrossed in along the way, and flush out what they show interest in.  Most of it tends to be about how I get them from point A to F while hitting some major stops along the way.

There is a lot of world activity around them that just happens when it is scheduled to happen, and they can affect things directly of course based on their actions.

Our group is a bit of the calmer attitude in which  "Everyone is there to have mutual fun.  It is the GM responsibility to give the players something interesting, and the players responsibility to follow a bit of what the GM lays in front of them."

That being said, I intend to have them do character background work.  I think it is in the ole Runners Companion?  like 18-20 questions about who they are and what motivates them.  I also have them come up with the names, locales, and major characters of 2 or 3 places they frequent. 

That gives me 8-12 locations I don't have to invent, and up to 24 NPC concepts handed to me.

That should give me material that matters to them to build around.  See what they give me, and what I can fit into it.

Kwai

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-28-17/2139:23> »
How well do they know SR history?
Quebec separates from Canada in the SR timeline on October 31, 2010: the ORO Corporation (that is destined to be Aztechnology) is founded in 07 when a few drug cartels buy out a Mexican corporation as examples.
If you use the "official" timeline as a skeleton, will your players notice? Aztechnology could be a good example: drug cartels going legit and trying to shepherd their people, could be a good story. Or not, depending.

That help at all?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-28-17/2340:10> »
The New York earthquake in 2005 would turn Manhattan into a post-apocalyptic wasteland for a few weeks, maybe months. Escape from New York, shadowrun-style?

Might be fun to have the runners working for the Sovereign American Indian Movement as subversives if not actual terrorists, fighting corporate injustice and the Resource Rush, leading up to the Lone Eagle Incident in 2009. Then the Reeducation and Relocation Act in 2010 could land the players in a concentration camp during the VITAS plague, just in time for the Awakening in 2011.

Shadowseer Kim

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-17-17/1857:33> »
Thanks Sphinx and Kwai!!!  These are good ideas to build situations around.   I love it

My group does not tend to dive headlong into all the background/history and timeline of a setting unless they have GMed it or are planning to. 

We are older, and simply do not have that much time, or memory capacity.    I had a younger guy in a different campaign, different world setting who started researching everything while we were playing and threw a fit when I introduced things differently than he had read about.  He does not play with us anymore.