NEWS

Movement Critter Power

• 13 Replies

Beansidhe

• Newb
« on: <09-17-10/2300:13> »
I thought I understood this power to mean that an Air Spirit would assist you in flying, then I realized that a Beast Spirit has this power.  What 'terrain' does he control?  Does he let you move fast on the bearskin rug!?  I must not understand this correctly.  Please help. 

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-10/2346:28> »
Earth and Water spirits have it, too (and Guardian, and Task, and Plant as an optional power). 

Don't overthink it.  It's magic.  Doesn't it fit, thematically, for a Beast spirit to help a Wolf Shaman run through the woods at inhuman speeds?  And for a Guardian spirit to whisk a Combat Mage around a battlefield?  A Water spirit to create awesome currents that rush its summoner through the water impossibly fast?

Some GMs will limit them to situations like the above, going by a "terrain it controls" interpretation.  Others will just go with the more generic "it's magic" approach, will point out that spirits -- as a rule -- ignore gravity, and will let any of 'em with the Movement power fling you around where-ever you want to go...applying a modifier to your Movement rate for whatever kind of "moving" you want to do.

Beansidhe

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-17-10/2349:22> »
Ya, as I went through I saw some more.  Was trying to figure out what I like about what spirits and all.  I like the thematic fit but Beasts, Guardian, and Task are a little harder to follow.  Perhaps Task most of all, but they are very helpful.  After all they move you through Cosco faster, and that is a great ability! 

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-10/0426:10> »
Some GMs will limit them to situations like the above, going by a "terrain it controls" interpretation.  Others will just go with the more generic "it's magic" approach, will point out that spirits -- as a rule -- ignore gravity.
Yeah, and it's completely stupid, since some of them have the "fly" skill, and others not.
A question about the "movement power" is can it be used to slow down a character falling, so that he takes less damages when he hurts the ground ?
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <09-18-10/0457:00> »
What's "completely stupid," exactly? 

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-18-10/0504:57> »
It's a nonsense. Every spirits wouldn't be affected by gravity but only a few of them have the "fly" skill ? what is the utility of giving them the "fly" skill then ? going faster in the air ? the "fly" skill's effects are nothing compared to the movement power. So as far as I see, or giving the "fly" skill to a few of them doesn't make sense, or their immunity to gravity doesn't make sense.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #6 on: <09-18-10/1109:55> »
All Spirits have # dimensional movement. It does not matter what the Summoner believes in and what form his spirit takes it can move in all 3 dimensions at will.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #7 on: <09-18-10/1214:09> »
It's a nonsense. Every spirits wouldn't be affected by gravity but only a few of them have the "fly" skill ? what is the utility of giving them the "fly" skill then ? going faster in the air ? the "fly" skill's effects are nothing compared to the movement power. So as far as I see, or giving the "fly" skill to a few of them doesn't make sense, or their immunity to gravity doesn't make sense.
Does every critter (human or otherwise) that walks on the ground have the Sprinting specialization of the Running skill from the Athletics group? 

Some spirits are better at flying than others.  I don't see what's "completely stupid" about that.  Who says they can't -- if they're in a real hurry -- use Fly and Movement at the same time? 

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-18-10/1228:25> »
Let's compute it :
A air spirit force 4, a little bit more than the average. Movement : 15/75. Works like "sprint", each success adds 2 meters to the distance the character made during this combat turn. It works with strength, which is very low for the two spirits of the core rulebook which have "fly". So the average air spirit will, while using is fly skill, make 77-79 meters instead of 75 during this combat turn. With "movement", it'll make 308-312 meters instead of 300.
Not really convinced it was worth the complex action.
« Last Edit: <09-18-10/1231:37> by anotherJack »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <09-18-10/1244:38> »
That's fine, no one's holding a gun to your head and telling you they HAVE to use it.  But what's the harm in it being there, just in case they do?

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-18-10/1254:17> »
I find it both useless and confusing : if you don't go for the paragraph which states that spirits can move in three dimension, hidden in the last paragraph of "spirit's forms", you may think only these two spirits can fly (which would make sense : you don't really expect a water or a earth spirit to fly).
I think or all spirits should have been granted with this skill, the difference in the quality of flight being already stated in the movement rate differences, or no one should have.
And the skill should be refreshed, because for these spirits the way it works makes it useless. Maybe add 5 or 10 meters for each success instead of 2, or 10% of the basic movement rate for each success.

EDIt : maybe is it already refreshed in Running Wild ?
« Last Edit: <09-18-10/1304:40> by anotherJack »

Machiavelli

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-19-10/0323:08> »
No it isnīt but it doesnīt make the skill useless. You also use it to make compley meneuvers if i am informed correctly and at least for this purpose it would be not that "stupid" like you name it. We all know (check out dumphock for a LOT of these discussions) that the system isnīt perfect, but everybody of us has (a more or less) common sense...so if you dislike something, simply ignore it, houseruling is your friend. ^^

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #12 on: <09-19-10/0326:38> »
I guess I just don't see it mattering enough to be this vehement about it.

Machiavelli

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-19-10/0330:54> »
Me either. Feels a little bit like somebody is in the mood for a discussion.^^