NEWS

Harlequin

• 14 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« on: <01-05-12/1209:23> »
So I was rereading some info on the Tir as I was putting some info together on Iceblade, and it started me thinking. Harlequin is the last Knight of the Crying Spire. The Rinelle ke'Tesrae's name translates to Rebels of the Spire. Was Harlequin behind the rebels that forced some of his fellow immortals out of power?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #1 on: <01-05-12/1219:11> »
The possibility is there, but there's also the fact that he likely spent most of the 2060s and early 2070s drunk off his immortal ass and playing Age of Atlantis virtually non-stop....  (Non-canon, to the best of my knowledge, but it seems likely given the character in question.)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-05-12/1222:56> »
He wasn't, no, but was generally bemused at the name. (See SOTA ... 2064, I think? 63 or 64.)

I don't think it was much mentioned who the motivating names were behind it. Of course, that's something that I'd love to explore, should we ever revisit the place for a book. (Critias would certainly be lead for that, but, by golly, I'll do whatever I can to be his #2.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <01-05-12/1248:55> »
The possibility is there, but there's also the fact that he likely spent most of the 2060s and early 2070s drunk off his immortal ass and playing Age of Atlantis virtually non-stop....  (Non-canon, to the best of my knowledge, but it seems likely given the character in question.)
Don't forget the skeeball.  ;D

And I think he spent some time sober to train Frosty.  And possibly more than train, wink-wink, nudge-nudge.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <01-05-12/1936:10> »
And I think he spent some time sober to train Frosty.  And possibly more than train, wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

Considering his background, highly doubtful.  Oh, maybe atfer she's through her apprenticeship, but not before.  It'd be a major hit against his honor.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <01-05-12/1940:56> »
Oh, right...  Honor.  As twisted as he is, he does have his honor.

Actually, I should know about that pretty well myself, with my own twisted sense of honor...  Go figure.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-05-12/1942:14> »
I need to pick up the new Street Legends bonus round. I'm terribly curious to see, for example, if his stuff in Tarislar got mentioned at all.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #7 on: <01-13-12/0537:37> »
I would love a Novel just about Harlequins past... The Street Legends Supplement only whet my appetite for Harl knowledge. Seriously, huge props to the writers... He's STILL a damned mystery, and there are stats! Stats should have solved the mystery, but they don't. What is he up to? The possibilities are massive, and I want more. Every time Harlequin gets into source material, the world views get shaken up. "Yep, here's what you wanted to know. But, in THIS hand, is a BIGGER secret! You get to see glimpses of it, because I revealed the other piece. What, you wanted to be able to sleep at night? Good luck with that..."

And the writers did it so well. He is still a bogeyman in the Shadowrun world that players should cry if their characters run into him. Yeah, it'll be fun, yeah, it'll be a trip. But it means once you run into Harlequin, if you survive, you finally got out of the kiddie pool. He goes beyond megas pulling your strings. And I love that. Just wish I could maintain a group long enough to run into him...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #8 on: <01-13-12/0945:11> »
Hey there,

I have enjoyed the Street Legends and SL Supplemental books a lot. Especially Harlequin's profile, since he remains one of my favourite characters of the Shadowrun mythos. However I have been puzzled by a little detail.

[spoiler]Bull hates Harlequin because of Johnny's sacrifice. But if I recall correctly Harlequin's Back, the sacrifice at the end was purely "symbolic" and the characters would come out of it alive and well. So is it a retcon, or are the events as told in HB still considered canonical, and it's Bull who is hiding some things?[/spoiler]

By the way I can't remember if Harlequin being in Bug City was mentionned in a previous book or not, but I think that's a great idea :)
« Last Edit: <01-13-12/0949:52> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <01-13-12/0949:37> »
Hey there,

I have enjoyed the Street Legends and SL Supplemental books a lot. Especially Harlequin's profile, since he remains one of my favourite characters of the Shadowrun mythos. However I have been puzzled by a little detail. Bull hates Harlequin because of Johnny's sacrifice. But if I recall correctly Harlequin's Back, the sacrifice at the end was purely "symbolic" and the characters would come out of it alive and well. So is it a retcon, or are the events as told in HB still considered canonical, and it's Bull who is hiding some things?

By the way I can't remember if Harlequin being in Bug City was mentionned in a previous book or not, but I think that's a great idea :)
Bull stated elsewhere that Johnny's sacrifice may not have been from Harlequin's Back, but another adventure entirely, since H has been preventing Horrors from coming over in multiple instances.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-13-12/0956:27> »
Bull stated elsewhere that Johnny's sacrifice may not have been from Harlequin's Back, but another adventure entirely, since H has been preventing Horrors from coming over in multiple instances.

OK, thanks for the clarification :)
Although the way it is written in SLS definitely gives the impression said sacrifice happened at the end of HB since it mentions the site of the Great Ghost Dance and the following "red mescaline trip" (perfect way to describe HB adventures in my opinion ^^)

Sorry for the off-topic, but while I'm at it, is there a topic somewhere for new members to introduce themselves? I tried to locate one with the search engin but couldn't find any. edit: never mind, I found it ^^ It didn't occur to me to simply look for "Welcome" :)
« Last Edit: <01-13-12/1017:26> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <01-13-12/0958:57> »
There's been more than one Great Ghost Dance.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <01-13-12/1305:09> »
Like he was in "House of the Sun" novel.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

snowRaven

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-17-12/0525:18> »

OK, thanks for the clarification :)
Although the way it is written in SLS definitely gives the impression said sacrifice happened at the end of HB since it mentions the site of the Great Ghost Dance and the following "red mescaline trip" (perfect way to describe HB adventures in my opinion ^^)

Yeah, that is the general impression people get - myself included - at a first read. However, in the text in SLS Bull states specifically that the sacrifice happened a few years after Bug City, whereas Harlequin's Back took place during the same year as Bug City. So by canon they can't be the same - it requires people to remember exactly when the stuff occurs, though.
« Last Edit: <01-17-12/1540:15> by snowRaven »

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-17-12/0546:25> »
in the text in SLS Bull states specifically that the sacrifice happened a few tears after Bug City, whereas Harlequin's Back took place during the same year as Bug City. So by canon they can't be the same

Good point :)
(Groucho Marx)