NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 2029 Replies

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1335 on: <09-14-15/0647:02> »

The specific interference I mentioned earlier seems to have subsided when you and Sammy switch to your back-up links, Clem and O'Conner have not yet mentioned their difficulties to anyone as far as I know, and as I said, it can be a hazard of the Matrix age for the minorly hacking illiterate like them to have to deal with these issues like these.

I don't think it's minor hacking.  I have a firewall 4 and analyse 6 which is constantly scanning everything on my commlink (I've given it the ergonomic option to avoid it using up too many resources).  That should be more than enough to keep out script kiddies and things like that.  I think I've put the script I used in the OOC at one time, but I'm not sure anymore (and not to mention where in that already insane amount of posts it will be :) ).

And while Sammy is not a hacker, she is aware enough of matrix security  to keep her commlink secure.  That has been drilled into her during her time in the spotlights in this city and contrary to most people, she actually listened to it.

What I have as active scanning on my commlink is like the script in Unwired p69, but it doesn't have to track, only warn me if there's an intruder.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1336 on: <09-14-15/0655:28> »
Clem will just turn off her commlink for the time being and leave it at that. Seeing all the calorie count will let her think that the sandwich run flagged her as a health nut and not think more about it, hoping time will just make it fade away.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1337 on: <09-14-15/0739:48> »
There is a reason I mentally put Sammy on a different level than the others besides Snow, (besides knowing that farothel probably has a better handle on hacking than any of us :)  )  she is very cognizant of her online presence and would find it difficult to go about her daily life without a Matrix presence.  You are right, she should be able to protect herself from this kind of nonsense, but she hasn't, and it has reached the point of conscious awareness, the usual protections aren't working and she can't figure out the problem.  The public mourning over Christy Daee is not helping, the two are not connected, but they are causing the the same kind stress.

Real world example:  Person with a car that uses it for work, they takes good care of it, but relies on the expertise of mechanics for anything serious.  There is a catch in the ignition, still works but it takes a second to turn over and there is a new warning light.  The free morning comes to take it to the shop, and the city is visited by the President so the traffic is complete gridlock.

Snow- Fixes it herself with some help from people she knows who are into cars.
Sammy- Struggles to find someone to help her or powers through the gridlock to get to the mechanic.
O'Conner- (to this point) Keeps driving, when the engine fall out of the car it is a real problem.
Clementine- Finds another way to work, or finds a new job.
Sam- Hasn't realized his car has warning lights.

:)

The specific interference I mentioned earlier seems to have subsided when you and Sammy switch to your back-up links, Clem and O'Conner have not yet mentioned their difficulties to anyone as far as I know, and as I said, it can be a hazard of the Matrix age for the minorly hacking illiterate like them to have to deal with these issues like these.

I don't think it's minor hacking.  I have a firewall 4 and analyse 6 which is constantly scanning everything on my commlink (I've given it the ergonomic option to avoid it using up too many resources).  That should be more than enough to keep out script kiddies and things like that.  I think I've put the script I used in the OOC at one time, but I'm not sure anymore (and not to mention where in that already insane amount of posts it will be :) ).

And while Sammy is not a hacker, she is aware enough of matrix security  to keep her commlink secure.  That has been drilled into her during her time in the spotlights in this city and contrary to most people, she actually listened to it.

What I have as active scanning on my commlink is like the script in Unwired p69, but it doesn't have to track, only warn me if there's an intruder.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1338 on: <09-14-15/0826:41> »
Crossbow: something completely different.  Has my agent contact (Jenny Starflinger) something to do with Christy that I know?  Like has she been her agent as well, or something like that?
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1339 on: <09-14-15/0954:57> »
You summed up Clem's attitude to the Matrix pretty well there Crossbow. She'll eventually turn it back on later and if she can't find a quick fix for it she'll just buy a new one.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1340 on: <09-14-15/1208:15> »
So saying, he turned and left the room, scanning the various stars, starlets, and techs as he strolled around the set, looking for anyone who didn't seem to be reacting to the news in a usual manner, idly scanning conversations as he passed for anything that might point him in the right direction.

Thvor I think you have fallen off the turnip truck again, why would anyone on the set of Pandora's movie have anything to do with Christy Daee's murder?  Or are you just hoping for a Maguffin to fall out the sky while you wait on Snow?  Because I am really not that nice a person :)

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1341 on: <09-14-15/1226:32> »
Hey, Hollywood is--and probably will continue to be--an incestuous mess of interconnected circle-fests. Everyone knows everyone, and if they don't, they're not worth knowing. Your posts have repeatedly referred to the matrix being "abuzz" with stuff about Christie. She's not some no-name, fresh-off-the-bus-from-Kansas-looking-for-her-big-break who suddenly showed up dead from an overdose in some random diner's bathroom. She's known. People will be talking about her. And Sam can learn a lot from what they're saying--and what they aren't.

...that, and Sam's got nothing better to do. 8) He doesn't need to clean his guns, cast funky spiritual hoodoo, or go trawling through the matrix. <shrug> I doubt he even noticed Bacchus's Pito update, so he probably doesn't even know that the goaty scum has come up for air.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1342 on: <09-14-15/1312:59> »
<shrug> I doubt he even noticed Bacchus's Pito update, so he probably doesn't even know that the goaty scum has come up for air.

I missed that post as well.  It might be something Sammy does see.  I'll look it up tomorrow.
So Crossbow: I guess that's also a no on my question about my agent?

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1343 on: <09-14-15/2015:53> »
<shrug> I doubt he even noticed Bacchus's Pito update, so he probably doesn't even know that the goaty scum has come up for air.

I missed that post as well.  It might be something Sammy does see.  I'll look it up tomorrow.

Sorry about that, I was getting  to it I swear.  No, Jenny doesn't have anything to do with music acts, the forms of entertainment  do not have a great deal of carryover, which is why Sam is not going to get much.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1344 on: <09-15-15/0141:53> »

Sorry about that, I was getting  to it I swear.  No, Jenny doesn't have anything to do with music acts, the forms of entertainment  do not have a great deal of carryover, which is why Sam is not going to get much.

no problem.  But she might know someone who knows someone... :)
I'll probably give her a call anyway.  But later.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1345 on: <09-15-15/2200:05> »
On the way back she notes a blip on her commlink, Bacchus finally posted while she was dozing:

Diabo Verde is da bomb!

10:12 a.m.: Just ate bacon/egg flavored krill breakfast burrito. It’s a good start to the day for only four nuyen. The burritos are very spicy—wakes up the sinuses! Wish he sold beer. Here’s a link to Verde’s roach coach. Anyone else like Verde’s? Message me. If not, fuck off!!

Anyone still monitoring Bacchus' me-feed will get the post I showed Hydro, but surprisingly, nothing more.  Through the day you will discover the whys of this.  Bacchus' Pito show ""L.A. Gang Life" has been cancelled, he has also been released from the performer's contract with Horizon and finally, he got his Pito account cancelled.

The Bacchus background you may have missed.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1346 on: <09-16-15/1649:38> »
If no one has a good reply to O'Conner, give me a memory roll for a line that might yield an answer.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1347 on: <09-17-15/0943:29> »
Snow is off with the techies getting the commlinks looked at.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1348 on: <09-17-15/0956:42> »
...and getting herself "looked at", as well. ;) ::)
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1349 on: <09-17-15/1008:40> »
LOL  I imagine those guys are more interested in the tech challenge than in Snow.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>