Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Smartgun/smartlink/contacts/glasses, how does it work?

(1/5) > >>

PMárk:
Well, I've read through the assorted threads, regarding the topic, re-read the book's connected paragraphs a dozen ties and it still isn't clear to me. I thought it might worth asking, if the community reached a consensus since then.

So, how I see it at this point:

a, Smartgun in the gun, Smartlink either in external device, or in 'ware. Gives the +2 to accuracy and the +1 to attack pool (if run wirelessly). You can do this with wire (goggles, glasses), or wireless (goggles, glasses and contacts).

What makes me think this is that the example gunslinger adept does have contacts (which can't be connected via cable, because, well, contacts...) and has Smartlink on them (with no image link, mind you). Why would he, if it doesn't give any benefit? It didn't get errata'd either.

b, With cybereyes, the same as above, but +2 to attack pool (more direct connection).

c, If, on top of the above, you have some sort of DNI and either wire, or wireless (maybe just with wireless), if it's an external device, you'd get to use the nice free action stuff (ejecting clips, changing fire modes, etc.). Or are they accessible by simply having the smartlinked external device and the smartgun? I don't know, eye movements, AROs, voice?

Am I right? I've seen in the other threads some people stressing the need for DNI for any of the wireless stuff, but then again, why the sample adept has smartlink in contacts, without any kind of trode, or datajack?

There isn't anything official on this in the errata document/thread, or the missions FAQ. I'm doing a search on the "Rules clarifications/FAQ" thread above, but I thought it won't harm to ask.

PiXeL01:
The two devices are directly wirelessly connected, or maybe the gun is connected by wire to the commlink which the contacts are wirelessly (think Bluetooth) connected too.
You won’t get the dice if the mod in the gun is not wireless connected because it needs the local weather/environmental conditions. However, without the wireless function enabled you can safely get the accuracy bonus without fearing hackers.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
A) Yes.  Smartgun is in the gun.  An implanted smartlink is in your cybereyes or in your meat-eyes. A smartlink can otherwise be installed in non-implanted gear.

B) It's not a matter of the connection being more or less direct.  Implanted smartlinks give a better bonus "just because".  Well, that and from a game balance to incentivize actually taking them as cyberware... because who would if you could save the essence and just get the same benefit from cool mirrorshades?

C) A DNI isn't necessary for a smartlink.  Nor is image link.  (and mind you that image link is unnecesary/redundant if you do have a DNI) The smartlink has everything it needs by communicating with the smartgun.  Not having a DNI or image link is still generally a bad idea because you can't see AR or AROs, but the smartlink still works without that.  You don't need image link to see the targeting reticle or the other benefits a smartlink gives you.  One might argue that DNI is required for the "eject a clip or change firing mode as a free action", but I don't buy it.  For one, it never says you need DNI to do those things.  And beyond that, you can still rationalize an equivalent to "mental input" as glancing at a designated "eject clip" or "change firing mode" point in your field of view.  Real world tech can already do this.  It's basic/low technology by 2080.

Wireless vs direct connection:  Don't forget that if you do have a DNI, you can physically plug a cable from your datajack/trodes to the gun, and go all 1st edition in your appearance.  Full functionality, and without a wireless signal you can't be remotely hacked!  Well, not unless they put a data tap on your cable, and presumably you'd notice that...

RickDeckard:
Here's how I understand it.

Gun must have Smartlink, external or internal, doesn't matter and doesn't affect the accuracy or dice pool bonus either way.

That Smartlink must connect to your vision somehow: Smartlink installed in Normal Eyes, Cybereyes, Contacts/Goggles/Glasses.

The two Smartlinks must be connected somehow:
1. Wireless: +2 Acc, +2 Dice Pool, Free Action Eject/Switch Fire Mode
2. By physical cable (to Data Jack or Goggles since Contacts and Normal Eyes cannot contain a jack): +2 Acc, +1 Dice Pool, No Free Action Benefits

In order for Wireless function to work, you need a DNI, which can be either a Data Jack, Built-in Cyberdeck or Control Rig.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Even if DNI is necessary, it's easy to get.  A set of trodes costs 70¥, and can be installed into lots of kinds of headgear/armor you might already be using anyway.  Kill Code has the more expensive option in a Trode Patch, but it's a little dealie the size of a quarter and is pretty concealable.  In case it's ever important to have concealable DNI that costs no essence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version