NEWS

Magic-type situation

• 16 Replies

gruegirl

• Newb
« on: <09-12-10/0220:24> »
Alright, I'm playing a Shaman of an unusual sort in my SR4 campaign. She's a hardliner communist, and follows a tradition based around propagandizing spirits to her cause. She has in her possession an artifact of historical significance and significance to her tradition (if not necessarily magically active). This is an issue because the Russian government wants it back, and slaughtered the main compound with the bulk of people following the tradition to try to get it.

The Russian government contacted my character in the current session after holding her bound focus for ransom. Basically saying "We can't find where you kept the bloody thing you clever SOB. So steal us something of similar power and we'll forget about it and give you your focus back." Then the team gets a call from a Russian accented Johnson who offers to have us steal a Leonardo Da Vinci mechanism of unknown purpose.

Now, I know OOCly that Leonardo the elf is Leonardo Da Vinci but I can't use that knowledge ICly. Next session begins with me contacting my mentor spirit for an official word on the tradition's stance of this job, but I want to know what you guys think.

Is it better in the long run to do the job and possibly anger my tradition and lose connection to my magical powers until I find another tradition and start over? Or the alternative is it better to piss off the team by not doing the job or destroying/hording the Da Vinci artifact before giving it to the enemies of her tradition.

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #1 on: <09-12-10/0247:16> »
Bad situation you've found yourself in. Unfortunately you can't switch traditions, but you can atone for your mis-deeds. Usually with a quest for your mentor spirit. In this case it wouldn't surprise me if the quest was to steal back the davinci artifact if you turn it over to the ruskis. My advice, piss off your team, they're more likely to forgive you than your totem is  ;)
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: <09-12-10/0322:03> »
I seem to be missing something... where exactly is the problem in doing the job, other than that it is based on ransom?
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-12-10/0324:42> »
First of all: Afaik, Leonardo the elf isn't Leonardo da Vinci (just a fan). Also you can't "anger" a tradition, as a tradition is a way of thinking and not an entity. You could perhaps anger a mentor spirit, but that doesn't automatically influence your tradition, just the connection to the mentor spirit.

And I really don't see from your description how the run is "bad" from the tradition's viewpoint... As Doc says: What's the problem?
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-12-10/1138:12> »
Actually, Leonardo the Elf is Leonardo da Vinci. He's an immortal elf and there was a shadowland conversation between Ehran and Harelquinn that pretty much confirmed it. (Let me know if you want details. I'll have to look up the books and pages, but I can get them for you.)

Regarding the tradition, I'd recommend asking the team to turn the job down. If possible, you might even be able to convince them to make a run to get your focus back, since it endangers them as much as you.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-12-10/1207:17> »
Nope, the Novel "Technobabel" makes it clear: The Elf is NOT Leonardo da Vinci, just an immortal elf obsessed with Leonardo da Vinci.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-10/1218:44> »
Really? Figures, one of the three novels I haven't read...  ::)

gruegirl

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-12-10/1551:56> »
@doc, @Irian, It's working for the people that are a: usurping the "Ligitimate people's government" this is a communism-based-tradition after all, and b: killed every other person following this particular tradition.

Working for them is really violating something... I wouldn't call it a code of conduct, but it certainly comes close.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-12-10/1611:15> »
You could do the run and double cross them at the exchange. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't their intent. I also like the idea of going after your focus instead.

What type of focus is it? I mean power, summoning, spell casting etc. Could your character do without it for a while (not that this would be my first choice)

Pray to your mentor spirit for guidance on how to do the right thing and get your focus back.

Hope these ideas help you

"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

gruegirl

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-13-10/0009:49> »
Yeah that's the plan, Walks.

It's a power focus, namely an actual hammer and sickle (Subtlety? Whazzat?). It'd be nice to have back, but yeah I can deal without it for a few runs. They have the focus, mostly because it was confiscated when the last run went sour. I had to burn TWO points of edge to survive it.

LFG

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <09-13-10/0021:25> »
@doc, @Irian, It's working for the people that are a: usurping the "Ligitimate people's government" this is a communism-based-tradition after all, and b: killed every other person following this particular tradition.

Working for them is really violating something... I wouldn't call it a code of conduct, but it certainly comes close.

Almost sounds like you could play this mechanically as a geas (p.27 street magic) if you decide to go against what you tradition / totem might encourage.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <09-13-10/0054:08> »

Do the run, but contact EVERYONE you can get your hands on you know that knew the other followers.
Get as much intel on the people holding you ransom as possible and feed that to said friends/family of the dead followers.
Plot revenge.
Execute revenge.
?
Profit.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <09-13-10/0859:41> »
Do the run, but contact EVERYONE you can get your hands on you know that knew the other followers.
Get as much intel on the people holding you ransom as possible and feed that to said friends/family of the dead followers.
Plot revenge.
Execute revenge.
?
Profit.
See, it's always that 5 step that runners forget about so they never make it to Profit.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-13-10/0913:37> »
Can't give out my best tricks for free, can I?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <09-13-10/1033:37> »
Plot revenge.
Execute revenge.
?
Profit.
See, it's always that 5 step that runners forget about so they never make it to Profit.

I usually have that one as "complete previous steps and get away alive"

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.