NEWS

Let's face it - official Erratas won't ever be released for SR again

• 56 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« on: <06-05-16/1828:00> »
It appears all semi-official statements about them are just to keep people hooked and buying in hopes of corrections while all the money is funneled elsewhere especially to semi-new material which is also in need of Erratas.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

odd

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-05-16/1924:57> »
Sadly you don't seem wrong since street grimoire errata was supposed to come out almost two months ago. I just keep looking for the freelancers and missions crew to keep the lights on.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #2 on: <06-05-16/2300:24> »
Faced.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-05-16/2314:26> »
Hope dies last?

(MInd you, I've been playing for less than a year, so I have not awaited much as you)
Booyah!

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #4 on: <06-06-16/0104:07> »
It's been over two years since the last official Errata update.  Twenty-eight months a week from now, if I remember correctly. 

There's been multiple Errata announcements that have fallen through (which is almost a worse faux pas than no errata in my opinion; I'd rather have no promises made than promises broken). 

We've also got someone saying no price charts was a feature instead of a bug, showing they can't even fess up to their own mistakes. 

At least we've got some awesome writers/Catalyst people who try and support the products as best they can.  Wakshaani, Crimsondude, Critias, Patrick Goodman, Bull, the other good peoples.  Thanks for your support.
« Last Edit: <06-06-16/1021:29> by MijRai »
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-06-16/0250:52> »
Usually I am not one to lose hope (too naive perhaps), nor one to throw logs into the raging flames.
But this has reached a point where nothing said or heard can be trusted. It makes me feel bad for the messenger really.

I loudly applaud the writers' support and dedication to their work. It just makes my heart bleed that nothing is seemingly done to salvage the situation at the top, where actions truly matter.

I wish I could go to the US cons and ask about the Erratas to their faces and be relentless about it so they can't evade answering that question ...

I love Shadowrun, I truly do ... So help it float instead of sink

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-06-16/0254:26> »
since the End of the 4A Edition I got used to add Houserules.
And since 5th Ed I regard them as more valuable than RAW
I either use Houserules or use modified SR4A Rules.
One Campaign (2055  to Replay all the oldschool Runs ) is basically mixture of SR4A & SR5 Rules.
No other Edition was in such a need for Houserules than this one !

HougH!
Medicineman

« Last Edit: <06-06-16/0256:26> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #7 on: <06-06-16/0315:39> »

Quote from: Medicine Man
No other Edition was in such a need for Houserules than this one !
I think that's the point. It seems Catalyst is a publisher of fiction first and rules second. I suspect they may be trying to get out of the game business all together and go all in on fiction. Even the rule books are 50+% fiction and the crunch is incomplete, error ridden, and in many cases poorly considered. It's little more than a vehicle for their fiction, and a broken down Jalopy at that.

So, they want to do the world building and leave the rules to the players. The only reason the rules get any love is because part of their advertising effort is the Missions play and that needs an agreed upon structure to work. Home players are on their own. Basically, Missions FAQ is as close to errata as we'll get.

Sadly (happily?) the world is amazing and gripping. I don't dislike the fiction, but I really want to play in it, so instead of just walking away like we all probably should, I stick with it like you and houserule the hell out of it to make it work. I really wish that a game maker would get their hands on the IP. Paizo or even TSR/Wizards could make it stellar, and I'm sure there are any number of other games workshops (see what I did there?) that could do it justice.

Disclaimer: None of this is fact, though I personally consider it to be. All others should consider it to merely be my opinion. I truly believe there are good people at Catalyst working on this and we regularly hear form them on the boards, but it is disappointingly mismanaged at the top (as was mentioned earlier) and no matter how well the seamen work they are all doomed to fail if the helmsman sends them the wrong way. Or something. I suck at analogies.

Okay, I think I'm good for another few months before I need to vent over the sorry state of the game again. Cheerio!
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-06-16/0508:44> »
>>> It seems Catalyst is a publisher of fiction first and rules second.
Battletech ? ;)

>>> Even the rule books are 50+% fiction and the crunch is incomplete,
it's easier and not so time intensive to write Fiction than to create functioning Rules

>>>> Basically, Missions FAQ is as close to errata as we'll get.

only for You US Guys .
Here in Germany the Pegasus books are more of an Erratta than the Missions FAQ
Most players I know use the Rulebooks and I know of not even one that uses the Missions FAQ .

>>> Paizo or even TSR/Wizards could make it stellar, and I'm sure there are any number of other games workshops (see what I did there?) that could do it justice.

Look beyond the US Companies ;)
(did I tell You that I'm a big fan of Pegasus ? :D )

>>>  I truly believe there are good people at Catalyst working on this and we regularly hear form them on the boards,

fully correct
I wrote that before and I'll write it again.
I'm totally on the side of the Freelancer

He who dances Shoulder to Shoulder with the Freelancer
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <06-06-16/1024:36> »
Yeah, house-rules are the way to go.  I estimate I'd need to write at about 50 pages of them to make Shadowrun functional at my table, which is why I've not done it.  I don't have the time or the players to dedicate to such an undertaking; the one group I know who've thought about playing Shadowrun said 'probably not' when I described the state of 5th Edition. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-06-16/1033:54> »
I introduced SR5 to a number of new players here in Japan, and they have giving up learning the rules, relying on me to teach them what is necessary. That does give me an amount of leeway into what to use and what not to use, which ends up with us being very loose with the rules.

But still this should not be necessary.

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-06-16/1047:41> »
Looking over at Battletech it seems to me that Catalyst can do errata so there must be a problem with the shadowrun line or something.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-06-16/1122:29> »
Comments like this is what worries me deeply. It gives the impression that SR is just the scheme to fund Battletech.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <06-07-16/1559:54> »
Comments like this is what worries me deeply. It gives the impression that SR is just the scheme to fund Battletech.

Granted Battletech is a LOT better at errata but that has a lot to do with the fact they organized a volunteer system to do the lion's share of the work.  They just released a whole new round of errata for all their core rule books just this week.  The only exception is the Alpha Strike Companion and it should have errata within a couple weeks. 

Like I've said before, SR could duplicate BT's success in this area if they chose too.  It's only speculation on my part but the only reason I can see that they don't is that they just don't want to relinquish even the smallest amount of control over the dev process. 

Equally important to regular releases of errata would be a formalized rules question forum.  On the BT side they have separate sub-forums for each core rule book.  If you have a question you create a thread in the appropriate forum and ask your question.  The only people that can post to that thread is the person that created it and those devs that are authorized to answer questions.  It may take a while to get an answer to a tough question especially if the answer ends up spawning errata but generally you do get an answer sooner or later. 

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <06-08-16/1340:57> »
It's always best to judge people by their actions and not their words.

And Catalyst's actions speak very loudly.

1). The company owner spends all his time with battletech and has left Srun to a second stringer to manage and her could care less (otherwise Randall would have posted/ responded/ got involve with fixing things by now).

2). It's clear that Catalyst's Srun process is broken and has been for a long time. It could have easily been fixed by now by any competent manager. The fact that it has not is clear evidence of either lack of talent or lack of will.

3). Catalyst could easily have resolved the ongoing customer satisfaction problems by issuing errata. They've had years now. The fact that they haven't conveys the message that they really don't care at all about their customers. We are only money to them.

4). Catalyst has an addiction to fiction as it's easier to write and shovel into a book/ supplement/ etc. You can see the line editor spending time writing srun novels rather than you know, doing his job. He could have easily taken the time he spent on ONE of those books to get errata out for ALL the srun rules books. The fact that he did not indicates that he could care less, he wants to write fiction and he will dammit!

So given all of the above how can you continue to buy product from a company that could care less about you as a customer?