NEWS

Giving an experienced team a bad day

• 75 Replies

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #15 on: <12-31-11/2256:56> »
They're both really specialized, so theyre fairly useless out of combat, so I've tried to focud on more investigative missions, but then it feels like giving the other 2 time to shine but not the warriors. I judt thought of cutting off or at least attacking the vamps food supply. That'll make him manageable and cripple the party's meler power.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <12-31-11/2302:51> »
All right, I want you to look your players right in the eye, and, with a completely straight face and a matter of fact tone, say, "So what if you feel useless? That's what happens when you make a one trick pony. You suck at everything else." And then offer to let them transfer their karma to new characters, which you will perhaps take better care in going over before approving.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-31-11/2306:53> »
And don't forget to let your players make rolls with their social skills. Too many GMs fall into the trap of "just play it out, no rolling" when it comes to the social stuff. Doing this does nothing but punish the players who aren't 'social butterflies' themselves and makes putting points into the social skills a waste of points.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

nightslasthero

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <12-31-11/2324:36> »
Sniper Rifle (or the Elephant Rifle( + Ex Explosive Ammo (or some hardcore vehicle ammo) Alternatively a troll with a really really big gun. A Panther XXL big. (With really explosive ammo)

Give a couple of the opponents Wired Reflexes x3.

Add a mage to the encounter that summons (Or already has) a spirit. If players don't think quick, a spirit can be really deadly.

A grenade or two.

Since the Trolls impact armor is probably the lowest, give him a couple of enemies that take advantage of that.

Flamethrower...Not sure if that is in any of the Shadowrun books....but who says a GM can't have a flamethrower?

Have your guys wear specially made miilitary grade armor. (Il.e to keep player characters from using it..alternatively you can have the design rather obvious to not wear... who exactly is brave enough to walk around in red samari armor?)

Drones...Lots and Lots of Drones.

An explosioin.

Send them to the artic or desert and if they aren't prepared start tossing some negative penalties their way for the environment.

Complex runs that really tax the players.

Tir Ghosts who happen to have two or three or four edge themselves (maybe the player average)

Illusions and other reasons to add penalities to them. Maybe they get gas tossed at them or perhpas the lights get turned off.

And if after all that they refuse to go down...

....One Very Very Very Hungry Dragon who wants to eat a human sized french fry with ketchup.

nightslasthero

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <12-31-11/2327:32> »
Works fine on the troll, but I'm going to have to build one devil of an NPC to hit the vamp, and then hope he dies before regen. At least he's just a sneaking dodging blade machine, no other tricks up his sleeve

Get a Vampire Hunter decked out in cyberware and bioware. Top of the line. And give him a crossbow with exploding arrows. Of course you would want to play this up in story details.

Vampire meets Vampire. Have the opposing guys end up having another Vampire on their side....this could help even up the field.
« Last Edit: <12-31-11/2334:11> by nightslasthero »

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #20 on: <12-31-11/2356:45> »
'm seriously considering a Nosferatu adept with a team of suitably strange comrades, like a cyberzombie or a rogue cyborg, possibly under the control of aforementioned Insect Shaman. Then numerous traps in the Hive to weaken the non-regenerating party members and their spirits/drones.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <01-01-12/0011:00> »
Martin de Vries! *ahem*

Seriously, I definitely echo the comment about escalation. We call it Sowden's Law round here, after the GM who introduced me to it.

As for snipers, don't forget to call a shot to the head. IIRC, cranial/spinal damage isn't fixed by Regeneration. Add that into the two sniper idea from earlier and your vampire problem is solved. Or, yeah, Martin de Vries (from Street Legends).
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #22 on: <01-01-12/0024:16> »
Gotta agree with the calls for a vamp hunter like Martin DeVries here.  He is a cannon npc.  Beyond that there is the massive social consequence of being a vamp.  And needing to eat and all the fun that causes.  The troll is ultimately easy.  Stunbolt.  That is all.  No need to go against his body/armor.  After all what mage in their right mind doesn't immediately think STUNBOLT the second that they see a big hostile troll...  And if NPC casters know that the vamp is a vamp, why the hell attack him.  Attack his suit.  Once its done you get to stand back and watch the vamp bake. 

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #23 on: <01-01-12/0053:35> »
Canon NPC. Kane is a 'cannon' NPC.

Seriously -- force them to split up.

Two opposing forces, equal in lethality, that they have to either wipe out or negotiate out of being nasty.  The one group -- let's use the Ancients, because they're an easy group to talk about -- is at least neutral to the party, maybe even likes them a little.  The other -- we'll say the Red Hot Nukes, because when you have to face down PsychoTroll and SlickieVampire you just can not go wrong with an entire gang of dwarven adept explosive experts who like to booby-trap entire apartment complexes as kill-houses for kicks and grins -- is, so far as the players know, considerably  less inclined to open the conversation with the PCs with a 'hi, howya been??'

Even better -- use two lower-tier groups or gangs that the PCs have run into in the past, for good or ill.  Have them having 'contracted' with the aforementioned groups ...

Anyhow.  Face, probably hacker as well, go over to talk to the Ancients.  Yay, they get to talk.  Let them talk, and shine.  Combat monsters get to go fight and kill stuff ... right??

Wrong.

They charge in, shooting and cutting and ... well, wait a second.  Nukes are in no way stupid.  The things cut and shot?  Drones, manikins, even stuffed dummies, all with lame-o guns on simple 'fire/don't fire' triggers.  You can even do this remotely, and do not think the Nukes wouldn't enjoy that ability.  They get inside an area -- any area -- and have the walls come tumbling down.  AND the floor, except for the patch they happen to be standing on.

Let them meet the leader of the Red Hot nukes, with the rest of the gang scattered around.  After this amount of time, word is sure to have gotten around about them and their abilities -- AV rocket launchers, grenades, interesting chemicals, let them be really visible.  And then open with "Now, I could wipe you out right now, but this guy," hugs the leader of the local gang or whatever, "he had some fine hits of (Bliss/Zen/whatever drug you feel like doing -- even pot would work).  So really, all is right with my world.  What say we talk this out?  Or do you really wanna die right now?"  Lifts hand to gesture the order to wipe 'em out, rocks fall, everyone dies.

As said previously, yes, they are going to suck.  They made one-great-trick ponies in a world where you need one good trick, and two or three or four other useful tricks.  They, frankly, deserve to get screwed, because that's how the SR world works.  They've had their time in the spotlight; I bet they spent all their karma on making themselves even more kickass.  Great.  Now's the time they pay for that.

AFTER this session, THEN you propose new, less-insanely-focused characters, carrying over the karma from the current ones.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #24 on: <01-01-12/0058:20> »
And here I thought Kane was a NPC with a Cannon...  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #25 on: <01-01-12/0718:53> »
's what I said.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <01-01-12/0940:11> »
I think this has already been covered, but I'll say it anyway:

If these characters are that good/well equipped, then they should have a reputation as being such (subject to exaggeration, inaccuracy & incompleteness).  So an adversary should be able to tailor their operation to hit 'em where they're (apparently) weak. 

Honestly, it sounds like your next benchmark will be a shedim horde.  Or experienced Drakes.  Or shedim-possessed Drakes.

Alternately, if your players have scruples, hit them there.  Say they get offered a run to take out a terrorist training camp.  Fine and dandy - only at some point after they get right in the zone, they discover the 'training camp' is in fact an orphanage. If there isn't some soul-searching happening after that . . .

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-01-12/1047:34> »
Reputation is a double edged sword.  Yes, people will start figuring out how you operate, but more importantly, people will hire you for what your good at doing.  Those two guys are really good at killing.  So you're going to get a lot of attrition jobs.  Not so much the assassinations.  While those two will have ROFLstomps, the reputation and notoriety builds.  When payback comes, it won't be at the combat monsters, it will be their support staff.  Contacts are going to start turning up dead, or refusing to associate with them.  When the assassin's bullet comes, the saying is "Geek the mage first".  That means their face is going to get splattered.  Then they'll lose their tech support, and probably their bank roll.  Skirmishes will deplete supplies.  Eventually, it will just be the two of them.  Alone in a dark room and hungry.  When they fall, it will be at their own hands because that is the only thing they know how to do.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #28 on: <01-01-12/1114:18> »
They drink to a well-done job!

And wake up naked save for some kind of collar in a shipping container with a bunch of other Shadowrunners from the Sprawl.  On a deserted island.  It opens up to blinding, painful light...  And a bunch of clubs and knives and other simplistic weapons...

"You've all have explosive collars attached to your necks, try to remove them, boom.  Try to not play the game, boom.  The game is...  SURVIVAL...  Only one of you is getting out alive.  The prize?  Well, we get the prize...  RATINGS!!!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #29 on: <01-01-12/1435:54> »
They drink to a well-done job!

And wake up naked save for some kind of collar in a shipping container with a bunch of other Shadowrunners from the Sprawl.  On a deserted island.  It opens up to blinding, painful light...  And a bunch of clubs and knives and other simplistic weapons...

"You've all have explosive collars attached to your necks, try to remove them, boom.  Try to not play the game, boom.  The game is...  SURVIVAL...  Only one of you is getting out alive.  The prize?  Well, we get the prize...  RATINGS!!!"

So Super Smash TV crossed with Survivor?

"Big money! Big Prizes! I Love it!"
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me