NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1110 on: <11-23-18/1927:30> »
I kind of disagree that something that can take away the entire point of your character is good for the game.  I agree that magic is powerful and ways to moderate can be good, but either missed/resisted OR everything you are good at has gone away, that doesn't seem like fun gameplay to me (especially given that it doesn't make much sense for every moderately professional security service to have this)  Granted to people who hate mages perhaps there is entertainment in seeing mage players sad?  But if you have reached that state I think your group may have other issues?

Well again with a caveat that I haven't seen the hard crunch (resist mechanics, nuyen cost, etc)

But it sounds like its the sort of thing players are more likely to be using on NPCs than NPCs will be using on players.  But I guess it depends on the GM afterall. Besides, if a GM is determined to shut down Mages all he's got to do is throw BGC's out willy nilly. (Boom! you're in a fight, BGC from the intense emotions!  Boom, you killed one of the mooks in that fight, BGC just got even worse!  etc)

Kill Code introduced some gear so that a Hacker-less party can more feasibly get by without having a Hacker around.
It sounds like this is introducing at least one piece of tech to un-make having a mage around mandatory as well.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1111 on: <11-23-18/2012:14> »
I don't think the grey stuff is in effect any stronger the elemental resistance gear armor addons. Compared to the advantages and new power and spells, yeah the balance shifted a little but it could still stand to shift more. You could have an 18-20 DV unarmed troll adept from this book. That fact isn't really new or game changing, but it is possible to add rather more significant to unarmed damage.

« Last Edit: <11-23-18/2041:16> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #1112 on: <11-23-18/2157:59> »
Does CGL just not advertise SR products at all anymore?  I only found out this book happened because someone linked it on another forum, absolute silence from any of the usual CGL channels.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1113 on: <11-23-18/2241:22> »
To be fair i think it came out with the last 48 hours. Advertising typically takes longer, and I suspect the US release was more in response to Pegasus' release. I suspect they would have prefered  to wait until the dead tree version made it to shelves. But I could totally be wrong about that.
« Last Edit: <11-23-18/2333:57> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1114 on: <11-23-18/2329:02> »
They posted on FB and then had a blog post up earlier this morning.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1115 on: <11-24-18/0043:10> »
Whats the Neo-Anarchist Encyclopedia tagged in Jackpoint?
Probably the Neo-Anarchist Encyclopedia.

If we’re gonna be honest, you probably should panic.
🤔
« Last Edit: <11-24-18/0046:28> by Crimsondude »

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #1116 on: <11-24-18/0148:59> »
They posted on FB and then had a blog post up earlier this morning.

I don't use facebook, so was checking the twitter.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1117 on: <11-24-18/0522:06> »
I kind of disagree that something that can take away the entire point of your character is good for the game. 

I agree that magic is powerful and that ways to moderate it can be good -- but having:  either missed/resisted OR everything you are good at has gone away, that doesn't seem like fun gameplay to me (especially given that it makes sense for every moderately professional security service to have this) 

Granted to people who hate mages perhaps there is entertainment in seeing mage players sad?  But if you have reached that state I think your group may have other issues?

Yeah, the poison is really dangerous - but then so is nearly every kind of stronger poison. Compared to a Seven7 attack, it's downright harmless (and a good reason to invest in antidote patches and toxin resistance spells)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #1118 on: <11-24-18/0648:10> »
I have the theory that the newest books, mainly the advance rule books, are a test for 6E. Looking at BtB with this in mind I think Greyware is probably the future of Cyberware. Like the different types of spirits and more restrictive traditions in FA or having different types of hosts (with a more host based matrix in the works according to the metaplot) greyware seems to be a throwback to the "good old times" of cyberpunk. Not only is it stronger (basically beta quality for alpha cost), it is always obvious, not wireless and does not play well at all with awakened characters. That is exactly the combination I think they will be going with SR6. Back to the roots.

Another thing which might be a test for SR6 imo is the Pretoria SIN system. It is certainly more oppressive than the current system and you can't simply buy a rating 6 SIN and be golden. But I dont know if that kind of SIN management will be accepted at the table in the end or glossed over. Would be nice if someone who does a Pretoria campaign would post his experiences.

To give an example for those whi do not have the book yet, the districts are grouped into 3 classes. Rich, middle class and poor. In which class of district you live and work is encoded into the SIN.
Going into a district which is rated too high for you is reason enough for the police to intervene and to ask you (once) to leave except when it is a shopping district which are a bit more lenient with who can come.
If you go slumming instead its ok for the police, but criminals there will be very interested in you.

Additionally you have the usual nationality, down to which megacorp you are a citizen off and, if applicable, tribal affiliation. All those informations are color coded and must be displayed all times as ARO.

When buying a fake SIN all those things have to be specified and modify the price.

So a rating 6 middle class Xhosa national who works in a upper class district and a rating 6 Evo tourist  with no tribal affiliation cost differently and also lets you do very different things.
« Last Edit: <11-24-18/0753:33> by Ixal »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1119 on: <11-24-18/1201:08> »
Now that I've had a chance to see the crunch directly, I'm not seeing anything upthread as being inaccurate*.

So I'll go ahead and finalize my proverbial assessment that I feel the "anti-magic" tech in BtB is good for the game... beyond the impact a peripheral sourcebook usually has.   Being able to shut down hostile spirits/defend against hostile magic without a mage of your own is good for the game.  Just because it could also be used by a hostile GM to shut down a PC has no bearing on this in my opinion.  (because a hostile GM can already shut down a player's mage without needing it).

*Edit: There is one potentially important distinction I didn't see made upthread: The RAW on spirits losing ItNW is probably going to need errata/clarification. It explicitly says ItNW is lost when the toxin is mixed with DMSO and delivered as a contact vector, implying this combination is required to achieve that specific effect.  However if delivered "naturally" as an injection (ala Dart Gun) the subject loses "the ability to perform any task associated with magic" as well as any adept powers and "et cetera" making the list of lost powers non-exhaustive. Implicitly that seems to say the subject should lose any magical critter powers, which ItNW is.  So.. kind of a weirdly worded rule entry.
« Last Edit: <11-24-18/1224:54> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1120 on: <11-24-18/1244:07> »
They would lose the ability to materialize and sapience though - I'm pretty sure that would suffice too.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1121 on: <11-24-18/1301:47> »
Hrm, after obsessing over the language for a bit I'm thinking the caveat about ItNW with regards to the combination of DMSO and Blight is referring solely to ItNW not protecting against the Stun damage resulting from that combination of drugs.  Which is just a clarification that is plausibly necessary since the injection (without DMSO) doesn't deal any stun damage so there's no rules complication regarding ItNW getting in the way of the effect.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1122 on: <11-24-18/1835:38> »
To be fair: How would you even inject a Spirit anyway? They don't have a bloodstream, so Injection vector can't touch them. Unless it's Possession/Inhabitation. Which means players wouldn't be harmed, but Shedim/Bugs are in trouble, with bugs even losing ItNW.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #1123 on: <12-02-18/1106:38> »
... to come back to the topic of this thread :) - here is the upcoming releases for Shadowrun from CGL:

• No Future
  • Neo Anarchist's Encyclopedia
  • "Chicago Chaos"
  • "Complete Elf and/or Dwarf"

Still no news from the "10 AIs" ebook? Or what is next in the PDF line? (as far as I know everything but 10 AIs that was announced a while back for the PDF line has been released)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1124 on: <12-02-18/1316:56> »
I believe that "No Future" and "Neo Anarchist's Encyclopedia" are one in the same. Also, not sure if there is anything formal on either an Elf or Dwarf book (though I'd certainly like to see them).