NEWS

New to Shadowrun - Where to start?

• 4 Replies

Phatzlewtz

• Newb
« on: <02-14-18/1100:30> »
Hello,

I'm new to Shadowrun, but have 25 years experience in a lot of other RPGs. I'm mainly a GM for my Group.

Just wondering where to begin. What books should I get first? What books after the core?

Thank you in advance
PhatzLewtz

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-14-18/1236:47> »
The Alphaware box set is a good start. It has an abridged rulebook ("Rules of the Street") that makes a handy reference at the table, and a campaign book ("Plots and Paydata") with a series of six adventures meant for beginning players and GMs. There are also sample characters, location maps, spell and gear cards, and other useful bits.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-14-18/1403:14> »
If you're at the very beginning of your exploration, I would suggest checking out the Quick Start Rules:

http://shadowruntabletop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/E-CAT27QSR_SR5-Quick-Start-Rules.pdf

In addition to being free, they give you an overview of the game world and its mechanics. There are four sample characters and a short job/mission to get you started. It's a good taste that will let you know if you like the flavor of the Sixth World.

If you already have the core rulebook and are looking for next step after that, then Run Faster will be the most broadly applicable to all characters.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #3 on: <02-14-18/1647:38> »
I'd recommend following the aspects of the system that interest you, if that's magic, the Street Grim, and Forbidden Arcane, if it's the matrix then Data Trails, Chrome Flesh for Cyberware and Rigger 5 for vehicles, If none of that interests you then perhaps the plot books. SR plot books are great, I really liked Book of the Lost and London Falling personally.

Well best of Luck and Have Fun!
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

KidFreeze

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-20-18/2105:30> »
I would also throw out there to keep an eye on the Shadowcasters network.  Once the closed beta is over, you will be able to sign up to play Shadowrun Missions online.  I have played a couple of games in the closed beta as my first Shadowrun experiences, and it has been amazing, the GMs and players are very helpful and welcoming, so it makes learning the system a breeze!  I had went through the quick start rules Tecumseh mentions, and also had read through portions of the Core book, and I was plenty prepared to not be a burden in the games (I think!).