NEWS

Adept increasing Magic and Power Points

• 5 Replies

theclaw

• Newb
« on: <09-09-20/0849:18> »
Hi everyone

I think I know the rule but can't be too sure so here's the thing:

A player at my table plays an Adet, with Magic 6. He just went trough his first grade of initiation and decided to increase his Magic to 7 by spending 35 karma.

Questions:

1- Initiation is the only way an awakened character can increase their base Magic (not counting Power Foci or exotic stuff), am I right ?

2- Does increasing his Magic from 6 to 7 grant him 1 PP to spend in adept powers ?

3- Does he still get to pick a metamagic or another extra PP due to Initiation ?

Thanks !

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-20/0955:00> »
1. No. You can spend karma to raise Magic even when you don't initiate. Initiation is a natural opportunity to do so though, since it just raised your maximum Magic.
Edit: note that Power Foci do NOT increase your Magic attribute. They just grant bonus dice to tests where you roll Magic.

2. Yes. But for Adepts only, not for Mystic Adepts.

3. Yes. Mystic Adepts may also pick the PP metamagic, as well.
« Last Edit: <09-09-20/1000:16> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-20/1000:15> »
1. No. You can spend karma to raise Magic even when you don't initiate. Initiation is a natural opportunity to do so though, since it just raised your maximum Magic.

2. Yes. But for Adepts only, not for Mystic Adepts.

2. Yes. Mystic Adepts may also pick the PP metamagic, as well.

1. Yeah, I guess you mean if you're not already at 6. Then I agree :)

3. So if you initiate AND increase your Magic like he did, he can actually get 2 PP worth of adept powers.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-20/1001:41> »
Yes.  Also note that I slipped in an edit above:
Clarification that Power Foci don't increase your Magic.. and therefore Adepts don't get PPs from them.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-20/1004:35> »
Yes.  Also note that I slipped in an edit above:
Clarification that Power Foci don't increase your Magic.. and therefore Adepts don't get PPs from them.

Yes, I remember that the Mystic Adept's only way to get more PP is through Initiation.

Agreed on the Power Foci :)

Thanks.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-20/1122:54> »
As he spend karma to increase his current magic he can now also bind more foci. Ki Foci is a third way (in addition to raising current magic rating and initiate for power point instead of metamagic) to get access to more power points and new adept powers.