NEWS

Shapeshifter Technomancer?

• 7 Replies

Desiani

• Chummer
« on: <08-16-17/1643:04> »
I'm currently at school so I'll be throwing the character itself later tonight.

Is this possible? According to Rub Faster Shapeshifters don't start with a Magic rating of 1, like pixie or naga (how I'd love to play a pixie techno).  So RAW can a shape shifter Emerge? I grant that this is such a Snowflake idea on it's own and probably quite dumb, but I'd like to get others opinions about the Lore and mechanical aspects of such an idea.

Sadly my Gm disallows meta sapiens and SURGE so this is strictly a thought process I want to explore. I know Shifters aren't augmentation friendly except for cultured bioware, so a decker is outside of feasibility with the need for Jacks.

Techno however needs no such things! Well let me know what y'alls thoughts Are! Thanks for your time! <3

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-16-17/1703:45> »
No they can't, they do start with a Magic rating of 1 but the table is shifted, instead of CHA MAG INI it should be CHA EDG MAG INI, also this sentence page 102 imply that they do have a Magic attribute:

"Metasapients and shapeshifters who select Priority A, B, C, or D for Magic have their natural Magic of 1 replaced with their new Magic attribute. "

By the way if your shapeshifter Magic go down to 1 they lose all abilities tied to Magic which means… their ability to shift into humans so you end up playing a clever animal  ;D

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-16-17/1712:43> »
Oh... that table shift made me think blech. :( If they go below 1 mag could they THEN Emerge? I know I'm being weird. I just really am interested in the idea.

If not a shapeshifter, what about a Technocritter. I know there are no rules on it, could a sentient Technocritter emerge?

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-16-17/1819:36> »
Even if their magic reach 0 I don't think they can ever emerge. Not sure about technocritters, don't know them enough.

Maybe you could try an AI rigging a robodog  ;D

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <08-17-17/0039:17> »
The primary issue I think in this case is, i think is if a shifter goes to effective magic zero it's ether dead or no longer a shifter. But if we ignore that, Emergence is still to limited in scope and definition in 5th. This was something that  might have been consider somehow in 4th. But in 5th we lack any sort deeper meta concepts concerning emergence combine that with the issues of the nanite Zombies, and really we just stuck on trying to exploring any deeper concepts on TMs. I don't know when we will see the TM book, and i would be shocked if it reached anything like the level of detail we had at the end of 4th.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

&#24525;

« Reply #5 on: <08-17-17/0316:36> »
Oh... that table shift made me think blech. :( If they go below 1 mag could they THEN Emerge? I know I'm being weird. I just really am interested in the idea.

If not a shapeshifter, what about a Technocritter. I know there are no rules on it, could a sentient Technocritter emerge?
A technocritter has already emerged... that's why it's a technocritter

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <08-17-17/0400:53> »
Going to MAG 0 isn't the same as not having a Magic attribute, by the way.  Once you have a Magic attribute, you always have one.  If the maximum hits 0, which can only be done through extensive augmentation, you are effectively treated as mundane, but you can't just Emerge later--  And even if you did, your RES would have a maximum of 0 too, and so you would immediately lose all your technomancer powers.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <08-17-17/1128:32> »

A technocritter has already emerged... that's why it's a technocritter

I was more asking if there is a playable critter set of rules xD

Thank ye fine people for answering!