NEWS

Tony the Troll Technomancer - 6E

• 38 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #30 on: <08-22-19/0908:27> »
Oh, I'm sure. All I'm saying is - that must take a significant amount of effort, both in prep and at the table. Kudos to them for being up for it :)

A big part of it is that the demo team won't let just anyone run a game. You have to show some degree of competence in your application. I didn't like that at first, but after seeing how a few of these GMs for other living campaigns have done things, I wish it was required for all of them.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <08-22-19/1018:51> »
Oh, I'm sure. All I'm saying is - that must take a significant amount of effort, both in prep and at the table. Kudos to them for being up for it :)

A big part of it is that the demo team won't let just anyone run a game. You have to show some degree of competence in your application. I didn't like that at first, but after seeing how a few of these GMs for other living campaigns have done things, I wish it was required for all of them.
I do know that for Herolab for Pathfinder (maybe D&D Beyond?) has it in the settings to meet the requirements for Society play, so it will show if the character is valid or not. But if the player doesn't use that, it's up to the GM to validate it.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #32 on: <08-22-19/1034:36> »
I do know that for Herolab for Pathfinder (maybe D&D Beyond?) has it in the settings to meet the requirements for Society play, so it will show if the character is valid or not. But if the player doesn't use that, it's up to the GM to validate it.

That is helpful for some players and some GMs, but I wasn't referring to sheet/character issues so much. Specifically with Pathfinder, it was GMs changing things/stats in the scenarios (which is flat against the rules in PFS, unlike Missions), changing the way certain class features or feats worked just because they didn't like them, and/or enforcing their house rules at the table.

I will never understand the GM mentality of "I have to challenge the players" or "I need to teach this person a lesson for daring to have fun building characters and bringing them to my table the way they do!". When I sat down to run PFS games, I would ask my table if they wanted me to run "story mode" (focus on RP and run my NPCs as easily as possible), "standard" mode, or "ruthless mode" (I'd use optimal tactics and focus fire hard as the material I had to work with allowed). That question and its answer, and providing the requested experience, was the only thing I concerned myself with past knowing the rules.

I say this as a nerd of the nerd community, but the simple fact of the matter is there are a lot of petty shits in our collective ranks that have no business guiding anyone's fun.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #33 on: <08-22-19/1310:44> »

That is helpful for some players and some GMs, but I wasn't referring to sheet/character issues so much. Specifically with Pathfinder, it was GMs changing things/stats in the scenarios (which is flat against the rules in PFS, unlike Missions), changing the way certain class features or feats worked just because they didn't like them, and/or enforcing their house rules at the table.

I will never understand the GM mentality of "I have to challenge the players" or "I need to teach this person a lesson for daring to have fun building characters and bringing them to my table the way they do!". When I sat down to run PFS games, I would ask my table if they wanted me to run "story mode" (focus on RP and run my NPCs as easily as possible), "standard" mode, or "ruthless mode" (I'd use optimal tactics and focus fire hard as the material I had to work with allowed). That question and its answer, and providing the requested experience, was the only thing I concerned myself with past knowing the rules.

I say this as a nerd of the nerd community, but the simple fact of the matter is there are a lot of petty shits in our collective ranks that have no business guiding anyone's fun.
Oh... That's not good. In fact, I'd say report them the next time you'd see that happening. They aren't supposed to change anything for PFS.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #34 on: <08-22-19/1316:38> »
]Oh... That's not good. In fact, I'd say report them the next time you'd see that happening. They aren't supposed to change anything for PFS.

Unfortunately the main local issues was Michael McNerny (sp?), our venture captain for the state lol. Both our attempts to reason with him and to go over his head failed for obvious reasons, so we simply reformed the game day around him and got the store's permission to bar him from playing with us. Vote with your feet when all else fails.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #35 on: <08-22-19/1318:39> »
Oh... That's not good. In fact, I'd say report them the next time you'd see that happening. They aren't supposed to change anything for PFS.

Unfortunately the main local issues was Michael McNerny (sp?), our venture captain for the state lol. Both our attempts to reason with him and to go over his head failed for obvious reasons, so we simply reformed the game day around him and got the store's permission to bar him from playing with us. Vote with your feet when all else fails.
WOW.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #36 on: <08-22-19/1321:36> »
WOW.

That is my most extreme example, but hardly the only one. Douchebag GM ratio is about 1/5 from my experience, though SR Missions has been substantially lower than that. One problem guy in 5 years.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <08-23-19/1158:33> »
I'm glad I'm not investing in 6e...

But dont make me roll a 5e troll techno proof... they don't have a lot going for them but they can play.
« Last Edit: <08-23-19/1207:08> by FST_Gemstar »

Sprite

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <12-12-22/0048:56> »
Im interested in starting a cyberadept...but not going as deep as Tony the troll...ie still a bit of sprite action.

How would a build look like with at most going as low as resonance 3 or 4?
Also, i dont think you cant use used on cultured cyberware, right?

I basically want to go for a technomancer who specializes in going on site, rather than just staying in the van...at least he should have the option to do so.