NEWS

Tony the Troll Technomancer - 6E

• 38 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« on: <08-18-19/1914:56> »
Pretty much an impossible build in 5th, the Troll Technomancer.  This build is pretty lulzy but overall the Dicepools are achievable by any Burn-out TM. 

ASDF of 5/5/10/5 going to 6/6/11/5 with Novacoke and Psyche, with a floating +1.  19 Dice for Hacking stuff.  15 Dice with a Hand Crossbow with Narcojet Injection Bolts for combat.  Multiple advancement paths.

This particular character basically plays like a Decker with an implanted Cyberdeck.  No Sprites, Complex forms are just short cut Matrix Actions for Fade.

Metatype   E   Troll 1
Attributes   A   24
Skills   C   20
Magic   D   Resonance 1
Resources   B   275000

S   1   5
A   4   8
R   2   4
B   3   
I   5
L   7   10
C   5
W   5

Edge   2         
Resonance    1      
Essence 0.2

Stealth (Sneaking) 4
Athletics (Archery) 5
Cracking (Hacking) 6
Electronics (Computer) 5
Influence   (Negotiation) 1
Engineering (Lockpicking) 1
Con   (Fast Talk) 1
Pilot   1
Perception   1
Biotech   1   

Qualities
Focused Concentration 3      24
Exceptional Logic      12
High Pain Tolerance      7
Analytical mind      3
Impared Str 7      -56
Incompetent Tasking      -10
Net      -20

Karma spend:
Influence   1   5
Engineering   1   5
Con   1   5
Pilot   1   5
Perception   1   5
Biotech   1   5

Specializations      
Negotiations      5
Fast talk      5
Sneaking      5
Archery      5
Hacking      5
Lockpicking       5
Computer      5
Resonance +1     5

Total 70 -20 = 50

Complex Forms
Editor
Puppeteer

Augment   Rating
Bone Density Alpha   4
Muscle Replacement Used   4
Cerebral Boost Used   3
Synaptic Booster Used   2

48750 Nuyen left for gear.  Which is more Nuyen than every 5th Edition Technomancer ever had put together. 

Overall 6th Edition is a huge step up for Technomancers, especially if you're willing to Burn Out.  Your Dice pools are on par with Deckers, your secondary skills are as good as any Decker is likely to have.  You're not living in the gutter fighting off Devil Rats for the last of drop of Soypaste.  If you don't want to derp around with Sprites, you don't have to.  ASDF even with the Deckers.  Psyche and Novacoke are back and aren't addictive yet.  Good times!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-20-19/1342:26> »
Haha. I love it even if it is exactly what I hate about this priority system especially race design.

I honestly wonder did a single optimizer exist on the character creation design team?

The abuse from impaired attribute and metas especially troll is just too damn obvious. I can’t see how anyone with a small optimizer gene would miss it.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-20-19/1426:22> »
Thank you.  The most asinine parts of the build can be stripped out without losing anything critical, and any Metatype is valid.  Analytical Mind is the only important Positive Quality, the rest are just 'cause the points are there. 

If you want to play a "Real" Technomancer reduce Stealth and/or Athletics and pick up Tasking.

Complex Forms are *meh* this time around IMO.  Sprites are interesting, but could be ignored if you don't want to play a pet class.  If you invest heavy in Tasking and Resonance there are certainly worthwhile things to pick up, but if you don't, you're still as good as a Decker would be.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <08-20-19/1443:09> »
Impaired Attribute goes to a minimum of 2 Maximum on the attribute, the most you could take is a Impaired Strength 6, giving 48 Karma My bad, read the wrong line on the table.

Also, your Essence doesn't add up .96 (Bone Density 4 Alpha) + 2.8 (Muscle Replacement 4) + .6 (Cerebral Booster 3) + 1 (Synaptic Booster 2) = 5.36, leaving you about 0.6 Essence.

The costs are also WAAY off. 24,000¥ (Bone Density 4 Alpha) + 120,000¥ (Muscle Replacement 4) + 94,500¥ (Cerebral Booster 3) + 190,000¥ (Synaptic Booster 2) = 428,500¥. That's 153,500¥ over your resources, and I didn't see anything about Karma for Cash.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-20-19/1504:06> »
Muscle Replacement, Cerebral Booster, and Synaptic are all used.  That may explain the Nuyen and Essence discrepancy?  I'll double check the values on my spreadsheet when I get home, though.

I thought Trolls went to Str 9?  Ah well, drop High Pain Threshold and somehow soldier on. 

Thanks!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <08-20-19/1510:00> »
Muscle Replacement, Cerebral Booster, and Synaptic are all used.  That may explain the Nuyen and Essence discrepancy?  I'll double check the values on my spreadsheet when I get home, though.

I thought Trolls went to Str 9?  Ah well, drop High Pain Threshold and somehow soldier on. 

Thanks!

Ahh... I somehow missed the "used" attribute. The nuyen and Essence totals work out then. :D

And I had edited my original post, my eyes slipped to the Ork line instead of the Troll line. All good!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-20-19/1511:47> »
No worries, I always appreciate a critical eye.  Thanks again for the double check!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <08-20-19/1529:27> »
Here's a question, without Resonance, you'd no longer be able to hot sim to the matrix (or even view AR) without a device, correct?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-20-19/1535:58> »
Yeah without resonance you're not a Technomancer. However, 0 Resonance isn't the same thing as no resonance attribute  at all.

And yeah used augmentations are going to revolutionize character designs, methinks. They were always an option, but the price reduction has never compared so favorably against the increased essence.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <08-20-19/1550:49> »
It's on my houserule list. -,- But I'm not posting that list until the PDF is out.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-20-19/1556:49> »
5 Karma on Resonance +1 to bounce back up to 1 after hitting 0.  Some version of Burn-out rules or a concrete order of operations could force a change.  Likely dropping Muscle Replacement for Muscle Toner and probably dropping the Bone Augmentation completely to save on Essence / Benefit Points.  Get the Essence loss under 1.999 and buy Resonance up to 3 with Benefit Points and/or Karma, then lose 2 from Augments. 

Exact tweaks would depend on the specifics of any Errata though.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <08-20-19/1611:52> »
I'm not sure you can bounce back though, since the maximum is zero. It's an ongoing question regarding this.

Edit: Ah! Here's where I found it, p. 195:
Your Submersion grade can’t exceed your Resonance attribute.

With Submersion and Initiate grades starting at 1 (the same is for Magic, p. 167), it means you can't Submerge/Initiate with a zero Resonance/Magic.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-20-19/1638:05> »
Correct, but Resonance is 1 at the end of Char gen/before play starts.  5 Karma buys it up from 0 to 1.  Currently RAW.  Was RAW in 5th edition as well, with the caveat that your Max Resonance (Magic) didn't hit 0.  6th Edition doesn't have any burn out rules, and nothing currently reduces Max Resonance (or Magic).   

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <08-20-19/1713:05> »
With the current steps of 2) Assign Priority (sets Resonance to 1), 3) Select Qualities (no increase/decrease), 4) Spend customization (no increase/decrease) then 5) Buy gear. The final step reduces the Essence of your character. With how it reads now (and I know things are fluid on these attributes right now), anytime Essence goes down one whole point, your current Magic/Resonance goes down one point (below). Wouldn't the implication be that you're going down in Resonance from 1 to (effectively) -5 since it starts at 1? I'm reading it that you're not getting free "extra Resonance" that burns off with the Essence loss before it gets to 1, but that when you take the first point of Essence loss, your Resonance drops to zero, and stays there as you go deeper.

Quote from: p. 38
...as your Essence declines (specifically, anytime your Essence goes below any whole integer, you lose a point of Magic...

Errata is trying to clarify a lot of this due to some change blindness in the edition change, so it's not exact yet.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-20-19/1727:06> »
Dear god, this "bounce back from Zero Magic/Resonance" bullshit is so in need of an Errata, it´s unbelievable. Does anyone really think that this is supposed to be a valid concept for building characters? It turns burning out into an absolute joke as long as you augment yourself to the gills right out of chargen. What do you want to achieve here, Hobbes? Is this supposed to illustrate how ridiculous the new, totally not patchy and defective RAW about burnouts is? Or do you really think that characters like this should be the new meta in Shadowrun? Apparantly, the the first. God, the madness in this Edition has jaded me .

That being said: Even without Errata you can´t "bounce back from Zero" at chargen, because you buy Gear and Augmentations after Karma purchases. You´d have to wait for the first 5 Karma to get your Resonance and your Living Persona back.

(Oh, wait. Please, someone tell me that they haven´t also forgotten to add a line that Technomancers need Resonance to form their living persona....)
« Last Edit: <08-21-19/1305:19> by Finstersang »