NEWS

SOPA

• 39 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« on: <01-18-12/1556:45> »
Has everyone checked out SOPA and the troubles yet?

Look for it, learn about it, and for Ghost's sake DO something about it.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-18-12/1600:06> »
Yeah, I've seen the stuff about it, and it's complete crap. If that goes through, the internet will become all but totally worthless to everyone in America, and not long after, to everyone else in the world as other governments take a cue and enact similar crap in their own countries.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-18-12/1605:46> »
Other countries already have something similar.  Restrictive regimes hardly like it when people have the ability to learn how to live without them.

Corporate interests are feeding congress money in the hopes of aquiring huge amounts of power.

The sad thing?  Based upon the language of SOPA, someone could accuse the U.S. goverment websites of facilitating piracy, and force them to shut down in 5 days.  Entire sites.

It's absolutely ludicrous.
There is no overkill.

Ryushiroi

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-18-12/1807:31> »
Opposing the SOPA... One of the few things that can get Glenn Beck to agree with those who would want to lynch him...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <01-18-12/1823:45> »
Sorry folks, as good an idea as this is, we're going into politics with is against the ToS...

Me, I'm just bitter.  It's going to affect me just as much as my neighbors to the South, and I can't do JACK FRAGGIN' SQUAT about it!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

EclipsiumRasa

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-18-12/2037:30> »
I've not been playing Shadowrun that long, but already I'm missing when I thought the fluff was pie in the sky.

"Corporate courts? Pssh. Where'd they think that up."

Dystopian futures in RPGs shouldn't be so prophetic...

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #6 on: <01-18-12/2118:34> »
Sorry folks, as good an idea as this is, we're going into politics with is against the ToS...

Me, I'm just bitter.  It's going to affect me just as much as my neighbors to the South, and I can't do JACK FRAGGIN' SQUAT about it!

Out of curiosity, how does US legistlature effect Canadians?
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-12/2157:51> »
Well for starters... SOPA itself affect domain names like .com and .org, domains, we also use. Also some of our ISPs uses resources located in US territory, resources that also will be affected by the bill. Not to mentioned that it lay the groundwork for lobbyists in Canada to push our government into passing something similar here. I may be wrong about that but, US based website that don't have the budget to be hosted in different countries using local domain names won't be censored just for the US but for pretty much every other countries. Also, things like Paypal are affected and I sell/buy stuff on ebay from time to time, which may affect my ability to make transactions in the US. So we won't be as affected by this as a US citizen but it does affect us and other people from around the world.

The US is the most economically powerful country in the world and many other countries are closely tied to US economy. Every time the US passes a bill, no matter what it is, it always affect other countries at least in small ways.

But yeah, we're getting into politics here and it's against policy. So I'm gonna leave it at that. :P
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <01-18-12/2202:46> »
Also, when hasn't Canada bent over backwards when the US wanted a criminal that did a crime in the US while being a Canadian Citizen on Canadian Soil, and never left the country?

The RCMP will smash your door down for that Michael Jackson collection you just up/downloaded, send you to the USA, where you do five years of hard time...  A year more than the man who killed him!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #9 on: <01-19-12/0512:38> »
The RCMP will smash your door down for that Michael Jackson collection you just up/downloaded, send you to the USA, where you do five years of hard time...  A year more than the man who killed him!
That just prove that you shouldn't listen to MJ  8)

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <01-19-12/0907:54> »
That's just an example of how stupid the law is.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #11 on: <01-19-12/2043:04> »
Rather informative this post has been Jedi.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #12 on: <01-19-12/2122:24> »
I've not been playing Shadowrun that long, but already I'm missing when I thought the fluff was pie in the sky.

"Corporate courts? Pssh. Where'd they think that up."

Dystopian futures in RPGs shouldn't be so prophetic...

But why is it always the bad stuff!  When am I going to get my gosh darn mana bolt!
  >:(

Did see a dwarf with a pink mohawk the other day though...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-19-12/2202:20> »
That's the point of cyberpunk.  It looks bleak and folks say "Oh, that could never happen, but the guys writing it aren't going with crazy, out there ideas.  They are taking a look at what we have right now, and just extending the trends out about 30 to 60 years.

It's SF doing what it does best:  getting people to think and warning them of the consequences of their actions.
There is no overkill.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <01-19-12/2224:38> »
It's SF doing what it does best:  getting people to think and warning them of the consequences of their actions.
Too bad it doesn't seem politicos read Sci-Fi.   :'(

Nor do the masses of Sheeple.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11