NEWS

Problem player

• 49 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #45 on: <04-08-13/0816:44> »
Glad to hear it, E. Really, making the initial breakthrough is the toughest part. Once you've got that down, you can work with her on the rest.

And glad to hear someone took my advice about the phonebook. Part of the reason it works is (assuming you don't get angry and swing hard) is that it is so over the top that people understand it is a semi-serious thing, whereas hitting someone (even in jest) with your bare hand could easily be taken the wrong way.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #46 on: <04-08-13/0826:10> »
Glad to hear it worked, but one thing I'll point out from your post: an agreement to raise these issues after the game rather than during the game is the best result.  I may detest some of the ides she apparently espouses, but that changes not one whit the fact that she has a right to be heard - the problem is simply one of providing a space for her to be heard without being disruptive, and then isolating the complaints to that space.  If you were to get her to stop brining this stuff up at all, it wouldn't be because you managed to get her to change her world view because she realised she was being disruptive - it would be because she still has the same complaints, but stays silent.  And then those complaints will, at some point, be joined by more legitimate grievances, and down the line it would cause you serious trouble.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #47 on: <04-08-13/0939:56> »
The beatings will continue until the problem goes away.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <04-08-13/0945:05> »
To quote Leroy Jethro Gibbs:

"A slap to the face would be humiliating. Back of the head is a wake-up call."
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #49 on: <04-09-13/0258:57> »
Glad to hear it, E. Really, making the initial breakthrough is the toughest part. Once you've got that down, you can work with her on the rest.

And glad to hear someone took my advice about the phonebook. Part of the reason it works is (assuming you don't get angry and swing hard) is that it is so over the top that people understand it is a semi-serious thing, whereas hitting someone (even in jest) with your bare hand could easily be taken the wrong way.

Thanks) At first I considered the whole phonebook thing a joke, but turns out... from now on I'll never underestimate the power of it)

Glad to hear it worked, but one thing I'll point out from your post: an agreement to raise these issues after the game rather than during the game is the best result.  I may detest some of the ides she apparently espouses, but that changes not one whit the fact that she has a right to be heard - the problem is simply one of providing a space for her to be heard without being disruptive, and then isolating the complaints to that space.  If you were to get her to stop brining this stuff up at all, it wouldn't be because you managed to get her to change her world view because she realised she was being disruptive - it would be because she still has the same complaints, but stays silent.  And then those complaints will, at some point, be joined by more legitimate grievances, and down the line it would cause you serious trouble.

Thanks, but the only way to know for sure if it is the best result this time is to wait and see. You never know what's going on in someone's head, although I really hope you're right :)
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”