NEWS

Problem player

• 49 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!

Re:

« Reply #15 on: <04-04-13/1147:13> »
Also true. The fact perception skill exist doesnt mean you have to roll for every shit :)

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #16 on: <04-04-13/1341:28> »
Still seems that "Lighten up" is what you and your group need to do. Just sounds like you're all getting butt-hurt over nothing.
Sounds like she's the one that needs to lighten up and is acting like a petty, butt-hurt child actually.

"What? I have to play by rules?! *sulk, whine, moan*"

Whining is not conducive to playing nor fun. GM asked you to make a role, make your role and get over it. You have an issue with it - since it's not actually in dispute of a rule - wait until after the game, don't disrupt the table. Don't pretend like GMs out to get you because you can't get it done.

Also worth noting, sounds like you're in the minority here, A4BG, in thinking that it's "everyone else has the problem". Know what that means? It's the trouble-maker that *gasp* is making the trouble.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-04-13/1349:03> »
Honestly, the ones telling the OP to burn the friendship and "boot" the person are the troublemakers, IMO. Someone has to look at things from her side.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <04-04-13/1420:14> »
Nowhere did someone say Burn a friendship. We're just talking about getting her away from the gaming table. Don't overdramatize it A4BG

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <04-04-13/1429:03> »
OP, what you should do is take a phonebook, and beat the problem player about the head and shoulders with it until she stops being an idiot. Or until she shuts up. Either one works for this purpose. Now, I prefer a metro area phonebook, since it has a good amount of heft to it, but is a paperback, so won't leave any incriminating marks or injuries. If this doesn't work, kick her from the table until she learns her lesson.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #20 on: <04-04-13/1453:06> »
Someone has to look at things from her side.
Actually, when you're the only one with a problem, that let's everyone else know something about your side right away - and that is: you're the only one with a problem.

It's not the GMs, nor indeed the entire table's, responsibility to cater to 1 player. Not ever. You can and should work with them, absolutely. But it sounds like she is not working with them. Just being obstinate and indeed offensive;
"... Bullshit, it is obvious!".

... She never concedes, even if her last argument is "I don't buy it".

... she just considers herself right a priori.
Honestly, the ones telling the OP to burn the friendship and "boot" the person are the troublemakers, IMO.
I don't disagree with this, but if she's pulling this kind of crap, it doesn't sound like she's that good of a friend. Of course you talk to her first if things aren't out of hand yet. But only the OP knows the reality of his relationship with her and what it's bounds are. If she makes it difficult for you to talk to her, what are you supposed to do?

Be a decent person or you go home - that's what it comes down to. You should never need to curse at people, especially the GM - he's putting in probably hours of work in his free-time, so you can all get together and have fun. I can't even comprehend what I would ever say to a friend in this situation, because a friend would never put a friend in this situation.

Snake Eyes

• Chummer
  • I am the Matrx
« Reply #21 on: <04-04-13/1458:41> »
I have a problem player that i'm gonna have to deal tomorrow, the way i'm gonna correct the situation is i will be giving a general warning to all the players at my table so as not to pick on the player in front of the group. But i will issue a time out which means that player will forfeit their game session for that week, until the next week if the problem player doesn't correct their situation
Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!

Re:

« Reply #22 on: <04-04-13/1548:49> »
I prefere oranges. Otherwise, i concur.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-04-13/2127:47> »
In general, if you're having a problem with a player, the first step is ALWAYS to have a direct conversation with them on the subject (generally this is best done in private).  In the OP's case, it's generally best not to get into how wrong the player is (you are not going to be able to stop thinking these things in on conversation); rather, explain that it's disruptive and that she needs to stop bringing this stuff up during the game.  If she really thinks something's that unrealistic, she can present her case for that outside of the game.  You can and should at least listen to her, but if you're not going to go with her idea of how things are you should explain why.

Friends don't have to have the same world view, but you at least need to be able to expect one another's right to view things that way.  That means treating her views with respect, but that also means she shouldn't try to override everyone else's world view with hers.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <04-05-13/1945:59> »
One time we gave her a couple of articles on posttraumatic stress disorder, but she still considered it a myth.

Wow, I hear some grade A crazy talk from some people I know, but that almost takes the cake. That said, I'd talk to her privately about her distracting from game time.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <04-05-13/2033:09> »
One time we gave her a couple of articles on posttraumatic stress disorder, but she still considered it a myth.

Wow, I hear some grade A crazy talk from some people I know...

Just because you disagree with it, doesn't make it crazy.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-05-13/2043:56> »
No, but some people do consider actively denying the evidence to be crazy.  Most people who believe things like that also posit mass conspiracies to suppress what they believe the truth, which again tends to come off as crazy.

And in any case, the player is factually incorrect.  PTSD is a real and observable phenomenon that has done a great deal of harm.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #27 on: <04-05-13/2152:58> »

Wow, I hear some grade A crazy talk from some people I know...

Just because you disagree with it, doesn't make it crazy.
People who deny reality are crazy. Just like all the people who say the Holocaust was a myth and the moon landing was a hoax, or that Obama was born in Kenya. Blatantly ignoring reality makes you a grade A nutjob, full stop.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <04-06-13/0057:59> »
I've seen some offensive stuff. "PTSD is a myth" though?

Like it's been said, sit her down. Tell her that what she's saying is slowing the game down, and go on to say that she is being offensive. She doesn't have to agree, but she does have to have the decency to respect her friends. Currently, she is being disrespectful, disruptive, and that just doesn't work.

"I like you. I might even like gaming with you, if you'd stop kicking down the door every time we try to have fun. Why, just why, are you so convinced that this or that simply can't be? It's not like you've snuck into an R&D facility, heavily armed, and shot down a cybered corpsec grunt before cashing in your paydata. Why, do you think, you know better?"

If she doesn't give a straight answer, something that clicks, explains it all, and lets you clear the air or at least work towards an answer, then she's just not the right player for your game.

I'll tell you now, trying to prove things with real-life facts didn't help. You probably should have tried to get her to immerse herself in SR through suspension of disbelief, explaining that it's a fictional setting, where massive firebreathing lizards fire you for refusing to get a bunch of wires shoved into your nervous system.

Her attitude towards things could have been subverted this way, but at this point, it just plain isn't going to happen.

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <04-06-13/0342:38> »
I'm debating whether I should start a debate on the possibility of perpetual motion and seeing if it will last indefinitely.

But beyond that, how you solve the problem really depends on what kind of result you want, and how they would react to what you do.

You obviously don't want to lose the friendship, so dropping them from the game (or beating them with a phonebook) would tend to bring more tension to the relationship, but if it holds for a while anyways it will typically resolve itself.

Privately talking to them in my personal experience does tend to yield good results, but not before I continually remind them in-game: "This is a game, we've got friggen dragons, magic and cyberlegs that can fire grenades! If you wanted realism, this is not the game for you, so either accept the rules as is, or please exclude yourself." so the private conversation is just to confirm that they understand everything and ask if there is some underlying factor to the hostility against the rules (possibly a hate for another player, or stress that others know the rules better so she feels that she has to have some sort of 'edge').

I've had plenty of players try and justify bringing pure cheese into a game and sending me some weebo youtube link of some guy dual wielding whips in his backyard, or firing shotgun slugs loaded with wax, but at the end of the day, YOU are the GM, and when you drop the hammer on a ruling that should be it, and it should be clear among your players that's how it's going to go to keep things simple, smooth, and fair.  If they don't trust your judgement even after that, I'd consider finding new players.