NEWS

Getting out of restraints

• 18 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-13-19/1354:19> »
So, basically.. "Yer F'ed."  Barriers ignore stun damage, with is all unarmed damage (except for some cyber weapons, and adept abilities - Some of which won't work here), so you have no hope of damaging the restraints.   

You need a way to inflict physical  damage the restraint to have a chance... and your options are going to be limited to what restraints and how (position) you are in.

As a GM, I would allow the use of the Harder Knock called shot (SR5, p. 195) to convert unarmed damage from Stun to Physical so that barriers can be destroyed. Otherwise you end up in illogical scenarios where you can't break a window because glass is technically a barrier and your elbow only does Stun damage.

Of course the GM needs to apply common sense in what's possible. If the character is restrained to the point where no movement is possible, then an unarmed attack against the restraint is unrealistic. But if the troll is tied up in rope and just wants to brute force his or her way out, I would at least allow a Attribute-only roll to try to accomplish it. STR+BOD, or STR-only, whatever's reasonable for the situation at hand.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <03-14-19/0257:41> »
page 447 has this to say:
<deleted>
So they are treated as barriers. Going to page 197 we find:

Destroying Barriers
<deleted>

So, basically.. "Yer F'ed."  Barriers ignore stun damage, with is all unarmed damage (except for some cyber weapons, and adept abilities - Some of which won't work here), so you have no hope of damaging the restraints.   

You need a way to inflict physical  damage the restraint to have a chance... and your options are going to be limited to what restraints and how (position) you are in. Even under the "Escape Artist" entry it says that not all restraints can be escaped from (and that has way lower thresholds on the test)

Sometimes, you need a helping hand... or a swift kick to the junk (followed by retrieving the keys!) to get out of bad situations.

Right.. this is really what I was talking about.
Since they are barriers you can clearly attack them as such (@JudgeMonroe this is certainly covered by the rules and not a "house rule) so you could shoot at them or any other barrier damaging attack according to RAW, but making an Unarmed attack doesn't make a ton of sense. So I do like the idea of replacing the Unarmed Attack with a pure STR attack with modifiers for position, etc.
And yes.. the character in my game who is restrained is a Troll with Titanium Bone Lacing. :)
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #17 on: <03-14-19/0327:25> »
Booyah. =D *snaps cheap ones off in an instance*
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <03-21-19/1359:09> »
Yeah what people can do when determined is pretty crazy. I know several years ago I watched a documentary about Super Max prisons and some of the inmates they house. One of they guys they covered was doing life with out possibility of parole and was like in his 40s and had been in prison since he was like 19. He was only moved by a full team of 5 correction officers in a straight jacket and shackles. They showed multiple prison surveillance videos of him injuring corrections officers when he literally tore his way out of a full on straight jacket like he was Hulk Hogan ripping of his T-shirt. The guy was not even that big, He was on the larger side but nothing massive. He was absolutely ripped though. He basically spent every day doing nothing but working out, like seriously not joking he did like 500+ push ups, Situps, Leg Lifts, and chin ups a day, and I mean 500+ of each 7 days a week. The officers said he spent most of his time in solitary because hes generally only out for 2 or 3 days before he gets in a fight and generally seriously injures a couple guys and goes back into solitary. But watching that guy go from being in a straight jacket to punching out a corrections officer in less then 10 seconds was pretty chilling.