NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings DUSK

• 445 Replies

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #105 on: <10-02-16/2352:45> »
I, the player, don't see any issues with this situation. If anything, I see it as a great opportunity for role playing our characters, and am willing to give it a go :)
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #106 on: <10-03-16/0004:49> »
Given the time of the day, I do not see the issue she might have with me saying I will need to work miracles to get immunizations.  Now, I can change that idea if it really is easy to get that sort of thing at this time   I was planning on using my Vory contacts to get that set up.  And she is absolutely crazy if she thinks this is not an inconvenience to me or others.  She really is asking quite a bit of us other than risk and if she cannot see that, she is not a businesswoman.  Like I said, she would not want to be treated like that if she was the other employer.  So, yes.  I do think that the woman has been incredibly unwilling to bend or to even show concern for what she was asking us to do when she knows that I have an engagement already.

I am more than willing to play qualities out, but this is a positive quality, not a negative one.  I have not had a chance to RP that part out yet, but that is the next step if the group decides to go for this woman's offer.  I, too, am willing to RP this out, but so far all the RP has done is piss her off and get her to leave with not one shred of a thought to compromise.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #107 on: <10-03-16/0311:52> »
I've done this part of this run before, on another PbP (it unfortunately stopped right after we arrived in Lagos) and on that PbP the Mrs. Johnson was pushy (as they all are), but she did arrange for the immuziations for the team (as arranging those in a couple of hours is close to impossible), and we left the following morning.  Also, having one member absent during a meeting is something I've had before and it never posed a problem (and we did in fact get here there).  Thirdly, I think Snow was very reasonable in saying she would have to do a lot of work to get immunizations on time and most runner teams I've worked in wouldn't be able to do it at all.

The fact that Snow is dressed for a date and not a business meeting means nothing, as a business meeting can require that sort of clothing or Snow was planning on going out after the business meeting and was already dressed for it.  That's just pure assumption on Mrs. J's part without any foundation at all.  And I also agree with Mercy that it's a positive quality, so she should get more advantages out of it than disadvantages (with my Dependent negative quality, things are different of course).

For Sammy things are easy at this point: unless the Johnson comes back, it's game over.  It's not her problem that the Johnson had unrealistic expectations.

From what I can see there might have been some misinterpretations:
-we only gave our names, not what we did in the team (but we've never had to do that on other jobs, and if she knows so much about us to have certain expectations, she should already know)
-Snow wasn't there (but as I said before, it's not unheard of for one member to be absent during negotiations, as long as it's understood who that member is and what s/he does).
-Torley talked about knowing her before (that might be a goof, but in my opinion a small one and if the J had simply ignored it, the rest of the team would never have picked up on it).
-during the negotiations she offers some money and of course Torley asks for more.  If she's a runner, she should know that this is what happens during that part of the negotiations
-I also think the Johnson was way too pushy and yes, Torley might have been a bit too arrogant, but all faces are and a Johnson who can't deal with that has no business being a Johnson.
Some of these might be due to the format, as PbP has some disadvantages that way (not being able to read facial expressions is one of the big ones here).

I think the best way to solve this, is to give the team a bit more time to do the immunizations (or have some arrangements where we can get them) and also to get their stuff ready.

I'll also remind you that from next week I'll be out for 3 weeks, so whatever we decide, I won't be able to post for quite some time.
« Last Edit: <10-03-16/0357:03> by farothel »
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #108 on: <10-03-16/0621:31> »
To play devil's advocate here, I don't think the Johnson's reaction is that far-fetched. I assume she has heard of the team through the secret magical society, which might have informed her about the recent trip to Hollywood. So she might be expecting a certain degree of professionalism, but at the same time she comes into a room expecting 5 runners, and one of them is missing while another one is apparently freaking out for no reason, wanting to somehow get out of the room by all means. On top of that, she offers what she thinks is a fair pay rate and gets rebuffed with a ridiculous offer (and by that I mean a terrible roll).

So her walking out doesn't sound so strange to me. And at the same time, I'm sure Crossbow as the GM wouldn't create an impossible situation for us; after all, where is the fun in everything grinding to a halt?
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #109 on: <10-03-16/0804:50> »
The Johnson got pissy from the start when the team didn't lay out their roles. I don't know what of kind of Johnsons you've encountered, but in my experience with Shadowrun they rarely even ask for names. If a single runner isn't there, the Johnson may get miffed but it's never been a dealbreaker like this. Hell in the opening story for Shadowrun 4th, Buzzkill, the Johnson doesn't ask for names or team roles and doesn't even comment on the hacker not being there. This bitch doesn't have the goddamn right to get offended when she's the one breaking standard operating procedure.

You made complications out of Snow's positive quality and then punish all of us when she isn't willing drop to everything and cross the goddamn Russian mob?

On top of that, you've completely changed the parameters from the Johnson being able to handle the innoculations and leaving early in the morning, to "You're on your own fuckwads and we're leaving at midnight." How in the hell are we expected to get our hands on this crap in less than six hours?

From the start of this meeting you've been acting like you don't even want to run this adventure. So why go through all this? For the fun of jerking us around and wasting our time?
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #110 on: <10-03-16/0938:50> »
Whoa Necro, let's not get too worked up here. Having been on both sides of the partition (yeah, I used partitions in my AD&D days), I hated nothing more than players that bitched and moaned every time I made a DM (or in this case GM) decision. I would set up this awesome situation where things all fell into place, or would test the players to see if they could come up with an original solution (and reward them accordingly if they did), but had to struggle because someone didn't like the "probabilities" of something happening, or I didn't apply all the rules as they were laid out. Sometimes I let things slide for the sake of storytelling, but I expected the same slack when I restricted some mechanics for a certain situation.

In the end, what I am saying is trust in the GM. If he made the meet more difficult, I'm sure there is a good reason behind it. Crossbow has nothing to gain from our characters not accepting this run: if anything, he has to rack his brains out to find an alternative reason to get everyone in a plane.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #111 on: <10-03-16/0952:14> »
I agree with Hydro.  I think the J has been way too pushy, but there is probably a reason.  I have not had a chance to RP my way out of the client complication, but I do have a plan, and the same with the inoculations.  However, I do feel that the J pushed too hard.  And in my opinion, it is very unreasonable to expect that anyone can get immunizations like this in the time frame she is talking about and then threatening to dump us when told that.

I believe that I have a way out of the situation, as long as that is not torpedoed in some fashion.  A lot depends on whether or not the GM accepts the story I write for this or not.  We could be in a hurt box if my Vory contacts cannot help.  But that is the strength of this sort of contact, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: <10-03-16/0953:57> by Mercy Merchant »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #112 on: <10-03-16/1033:54> »
I just posted.  I am going to continue another post to set up my plan, but wanted to get the first part out so others could respond to it.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #113 on: <10-03-16/1106:27> »
If we're going to take this run (and it seems like it), then someone has to contact the J and I would ask for two things:
-she sets up the immunizations
-we leave in the morning, not in the middle of the night

If not, then the run is off.

EDIT: Hydro already beat me to it. :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #114 on: <10-03-16/1109:26> »
Oops, sorry for that F :(
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #115 on: <10-03-16/1112:01> »
I think I can set the immunizations up and it might impress her more if we can manage it.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #116 on: <10-03-16/1145:18> »
LOL  I do not know what time it is in the game.  I know it is after the dinner started, but does anyone know the time so I have an idea of what my schedule needs to be?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #117 on: <10-03-16/1612:57> »
We had our meeting at 17.00, but I'm not sure how much time has passed.  I doubt it will be much more than 1 hour.

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #118 on: <10-03-16/1822:13> »
Whoa Necro, let's not get too worked up here. Having been on both sides of the partition (yeah, I used partitions in my AD&D days), I hated nothing more than players that bitched and moaned every time I made a DM (or in this case GM) decision. I would set up this awesome situation where things all fell into place, or would test the players to see if they could come up with an original solution (and reward them accordingly if they did), but had to struggle because someone didn't like the "probabilities" of something happening, or I didn't apply all the rules as they were laid out. Sometimes I let things slide for the sake of storytelling, but I expected the same slack when I restricted some mechanics for a certain situation.

In the end, what I am saying is trust in the GM. If he made the meet more difficult, I'm sure there is a good reason behind it. Crossbow has nothing to gain from our characters not accepting this run: if anything, he has to rack his brains out to find an alternative reason to get everyone in a plane.

I will not roll over and pretend to be okay with the GM putting us in a bad spot just so he has an excuse put us in a worse one. Crossbow's already said that it was on us to "make it work" and has smugly and contemptuously dismissed all of our raised concerns over this meet with "I don't see the problems you see." So no, I don't think he has a good reason or a plan behind it all.

He also doesn't have to rack his brain for an alternative reason, us wanting to play this adventure forces us to dance to his tune. The Johnson doesn't like us, and most of our characters don't like her. In reality that should be the end of it, but we the players want to do this. Crossbow has given us an [snide sarcasm]oh so gracious out[/sarcasm] against all logic if the Johnson can really line up another team in time. Now we as players have to almost break character or force ourselves through twisted logic loops to agree to this run despite already thinking or voicing a reticence to work with her.
« Last Edit: <10-03-16/1827:37> by Necrogigas »
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #119 on: <10-03-16/1838:50> »
Okay, let's make something clear, FROM ME.  I am not trying to sabotage anything or force you guys into a scenario where you are unhappy.  I am trying to realistically run the character of the Johnson, and get the game moving in that direction.

I may have misinterpreted some intentions, but I have reasons for what I did, and it makes sense to me.  What doesn't make sense is what I have done to earn all the vitriol.