[SR5] Shooting Through Walls

• 5 Replies

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« on: <05-22-14/0708:22> »
Ok, it might be a simple and straight foraward question,... The Idea is:

Mancer, Barett with APDS and RotoDrone.

This is concept, could be possible, but how exacly interpret the rules.

Situation, The mancer is talking to Bad Guy A, in a bulding, have an 'opend AR window' with its sniper roto drone 'Aiming at a wall'. Simple shoot penetrates a wall or two and makes Bad Guy A lose thair head.

Is it possibe?
Penetrating a wall is a simple part. As sniper rifle is a penetrating weapon, it only needs to have bigger DV than Armor of the barier. Than simply the Barier absorbs 1DV from the weapon, and the bullet goes on... How? 12 or 13 AP, right? Barret with APDS, if it is not enought, there is a second option Ammo whamy semi auto makes it 24, or 36 AP,... that will do it, right? No AP to Bariers? ok, lets take a Gauss Rifle,... Toughtest barriers have armor value of 24?

But what with the shot itself? How to aim? Smartlink could allow it, if not... Imaging scope on wireless allows 'sharing vision',... just as imglink in glasses of the mancer... So it is not that much diffrent from shooting with img device around corner,... [-3] or it is blind fire [-6]?
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <05-22-14/0713:36> »
12 or 13 DV, not AP. You need modified Damage to be > modified Armor. I believe this to be intended as >=, like how Physical damage now also checks >= rather than >.

Anyway, reinforced concrete has 24 Armor, so yes with the Double-tap it's possible. Besides, most walls are Concrete or weaker, so an APDS Longarm can pierce.

As for aiming: Firing around a corner involves sticking the gun out and seeing through the gun where the target is. This is sniping, which requires a spotter to tell you where the target is, then use the Blind Fire penalty but the defender only gets 4 defense dice from being behind Cover, there's no defense test due to being unaware so only the cover applies.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #2 on: <05-22-14/0742:18> »
Not sure... isn't the defender anaware of the attack, so there is no defence allowed?
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #3 on: <05-22-14/0817:00> »
Not sure... isn't the defender anaware of the attack, so there is no defence allowed?

Quote from: SR5, p. 189
If the defender is unaware of an incoming attack (he does not see the attacker, the attacker is behind him, or he is surprised), then no defense is possible. Treat the attack as a Success Test instead. This does not apply to defenders who are already engaged in combat (see Character Has Superior Position, p. 187). If the defender is behind cover, the defense dice pool is determined by the cover, according to the Defense Modifiers table.

Emphasis mine.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-22-14/1544:15> »
you only take blind fire if you cant see anything at all of your intended target. if you can see at least something of your target you don't get a negative dice pool modifier at all (at least not due to target is being obscured by cover).

also, the blind fire modifier act as the total darkness environmental modifier. if you are really skilled you could, as long as you have at least some rough idea where behind the wall your target is, try to take a shot from 1500 meters in heavy rain and strong winds without a scope or visual enhancements at a negative dice pool modifier of 10 dice. pretty tricky shot, but since your target only defend with 4 dice while he is unaware it is actually not impossible at all.

LionofPerth

• Omae
  • That's Mind Taking Baby!
« Reply #5 on: <05-23-14/1207:30> »
I'd allow it, but to be honest I'd ask for the character in question to design a piece of software that would integrate information from the drone feed and line of sight of the rifle, corrections for range etc.

I'd also ask for some.... research when its used like this, to know what you need to shoot through and how many layers of it are in between your drone and the target. There's no point trying to shoot through two heavy, armoured walls when there's only a window in the way. Same goes if they've not made the walls entirely up to spec and the glass is highly bullet resistant.

As answered above, the rules do make place for this.
When in doubt, C4.