NEWS

[SR5] Throwback Cyberdecks....

• 11 Replies

Ragnarok

• Omae
« on: <01-26-14/1107:26> »
When I was going through the Matrix chapter, I came across the term "throwbacks".  It got me to thinking: would the cyberdecks of 3rd and earlier editions work in SR5?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <01-26-14/1149:17> »
Probably not, the entire new matrix structure requires completely-new designed stuff to punch through. Too much difference in protocols.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-26-14/1150:51> »
From a game standpoint, I'd say no, because they have the wrong stats (obviously). In the game world, I'd also say no, only because the Matrix has been radically re-created and uses all new programming to get everything done. At least since Crash 2.0, I think any earlier decks would have incompatible operating systems. Perhaps you could still use those old machines to write programs, but I think you'd be worse than naked in the Matrix if you tried to hack anything with one of them.
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #3 on: <01-26-14/1220:10> »
I'd say yes, but they'd be completely obsolete hardware, so they'll be like a rating 1 or 2 device. But because the way the new protocols work, they won't be able to hack anything, so they don't get a sleaze or attack attribute.

So, they're basically, really large commlinks.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-26-14/1313:33> »
I understand the idea of not wanting to refurbish the old decks so that they're compatible with SR5's level of sophistication, but OTOH, why mention throwbacks at all then?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #5 on: <01-26-14/1329:15> »
The main rule for throwbacks appears to be in the Gear section (p. 421). It applied to all equipment, in case you wanted to fully eliminate the risk of having your stuff hacked other than through direct connection.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-27-14/1518:34> »
It would be like trying to use/hack the current internet with an old 386 running DOS.  Even if you could get a current OS and software to install on it, the hardware is so out of date it would be next to useless.

A cheap Commlink in 4th had faster and more powerful hardware than a high-end 'Deck in 3rd.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <01-27-14/1628:45> »
The best you could do is have an old case with all new guts/software, like Bull has.  It is bigger, but you can put more goodies on the inside.

Or some add some shock padding for all the bumps and bruises Shadowrunners have to deal with that WageSlaves don't.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-29-14/2321:30> »
The best you could do is have an old case with all new guts/software, like Bull has.  It is bigger, but you can put more goodies on the inside.

Or some add some shock padding for all the bumps and bruises Shadowrunners have to deal with that WageSlaves don't.

The ultimate shock padding being the decker who willingly acts as a meat shield for his/her deck . . .

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-30-14/0010:23> »
I understand the idea of not wanting to refurbish the old decks so that they're compatible with SR5's level of sophistication, but OTOH, why mention throwbacks at all then?

For things like, say, guns from pre-2070?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-30-14/0546:26> »
It would be like trying to use/hack the current internet with an old 386 running DOS.  Even if you could get a current OS and software to install on it, the hardware is so out of date it would be next to useless.

A cheap Commlink in 4th had faster and more powerful hardware than a high-end 'Deck in 3rd.
Yeah, said 386 (for the young whippersnappers among you, that was in the early 1990's a top-end machine) would be jealous of the processing power even an average smart phone has these days.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-30-14/0947:50> »

Yeah, said 386 (for the young whippersnappers among you, that was in the early 1990's a top-end machine) would be jealous of the processing power even an average smart phone has these days.

SX or DX?  ::)  ;)