NEWS

Running A Zero Magic Shadowrun Campaign

• 31 Replies

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #30 on: <05-26-11/1654:02> »
I think you could remove metatypes, paracritters, and magic from Shadowrun fairly easily, rules-wise.  The remaining cyberpunk elements are balanced - technology becomes the sole focus of the game's transhuman themes, but you could say that about typical cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk.

The setting - well, how detailed do you really need it?  Megacorporations have become mini-feudal kingdoms waging continual covert war against each other, nations are weaker and often balkanized, the line between the haves and the have-nots is a DMZ, and cyber and bio technology can make people more than human.

You don't really need to adopt SR's history and fluff. You don't need goofy things like Indians taking over half of the country, the South seceding again, the Japanese turning into an aggressive military state, and so on.  You can still keep the megacorporations and criminal organizations.  The only thing I would suggest, since there won't be these eco-friendly magic places like Amazonia, is to play up the eco-activism and neo-anarchism more, to have some foils for the megacorporations (unless you want them to not have any foils, which is a staple of some cyberpunk).

I agree, but it still gets to me. I'm against using rules of a game in another game's scenario.

You wanna play something on your own scenario, I'd suggest D20 or GURPS. A good GM can adapt both to be friendlier and simpler.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #31 on: <05-26-11/1943:15> »
I agree, but it still gets to me. I'm against using rules of a game in another game's scenario.

You wanna play something on your own scenario, I'd suggest D20 or GURPS. A good GM can adapt both to be friendlier and simpler.
It's a lot of hassle, but sometimes really worth it...

Longest, most successful campaign I ever ran was a Dark Sun (Advanced D&D 2nd Edition) campaign converted to use Earthdawn mechanics. Lasted about 3 years playing 1-3 times per week.... Ahhh, Uni days :)

'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law