NEWS

scaring the players?

• 69 Replies

Jeeves

• Chummer
« on: <11-15-10/1049:14> »
I need advice on campaign antagonists that would genuinely scare the players. Right now we have a r8 mage who can spellsling and do crazy stuff, and a beastmaster with a force 8 ally spirit.

I was considering making a cyberzombie to combat them.

any suggestions on how many points past zero i should take the essence?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-15-10/1335:56> »
The advice for scaring players could (and already has) fill a book.  The short of it is this:  Don't give your players all the information.

Have something happen, and don't tell them how it was done.  Have them become aware of something nearby, but don't tell them what it is.  Have a creature attack them, have it do something to one of the PC's, but don't tell them what is happening to the PC.  Let their fertile imaginations do the work.  Fear of the unknown is powerful.

As for the specifics for a cyberzombie:  If they are potent enough to warrant this kind of attention, and you want it to be a recurring enemy, then a minimum of 3 under is what I'd recommend.  I would say most groups capable of producing a cyberzombie wouldn't just go slightly beyond the edge, they'd take a running leap over the side.  With delta grade cyber, the zombie is walking around with effectively 24 unmodified essence worth of augmentations (12 from cyber and 12 from bio, cut in half from delta grades, with one of the types further reduced because of stacking rules).

That is a hard target if I ever saw one.  And pretty scary to boot.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <11-15-10/1349:31> »
A really great way to freak out players:

Have the run go really badly. None of the objectives were met, covers got blown, barely got out alive type of deals. When they meet up with their Johnson to give him the bad news, have the Johnson absolutely beaming with delight at how well they did the job, gives them an extra 10% and leaves, humming a happy tune.

Watch the confusion set in, quickly followed by paranoia.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-15-10/1350:58> »
Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.
There is no overkill.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <11-15-10/1401:36> »
If you're having trouble directly challenging the players (they aren't scared when confronted by much of anything in a head-on fight), start going after their friends, loved ones, contacts, etc, that aren't protected by Force 8 friendly spirits. 

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-15-10/1512:17> »
Also, if brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it.
There is no overkill.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <11-15-10/1608:54> »
Spam golems and Alma.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #7 on: <11-15-10/1708:45> »
Alos, bear in mind that scaring the players is completely different than challenging them. If your threat is a big "scary" tough bad guy then its not gonna scare them. It may challenge them and make them aware of the fact that the characters may "die", but if you're looking for true fear, that is - in the sense of running a horror game - then just making big bad guys isn't gonna do the trick.

If you just want to put the fear of god into them - threaten their characters with a bigger badder bad guy - then make a big bad guy and withhold some info as already mentioned. Then go from there...

But if you really want to scare the players, well, that's a whole other ball of wax. For that I would say look into some books on amazon, there's quite a few good ones. the two I would recommend are on writing horror & Nightmares of Mine.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #8 on: <11-15-10/1709:31> »
For reasons I don't quite understand, the easiest time I have scaring my players right now is to quietly put this mini on the table. Don't have to use it, don't have to be in combat, or thinking about combat.

As Gun Nut said, lack of information scares players, they don't know what that mini is, how it would be represented in-game or anything else. They just know that I'm crazy enough to use it.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #9 on: <11-15-10/1825:25> »
An eight year old girl who speaks in calm Shakespearean English with a voice of someone much older that echoes even when it shouldn't. Said eight year old advances slowly and calmly, shrugging off absolutely anything the characters throw at her. Done right, the overall impression is that the party is about to be overtaken by a walking nuke. Great as a recurring character. Have her guarding something not on the objective list (like that armory with the rail gun). She calmly but adamantly refuses to let anyone past. Actual stats for this monster are your problem.  ;)

Alternately - a pack of vampires. Be sure there's plenty of lead-in so the characters know exactly what vampires can do to them. Permanent essence loss will send everyone ducking for cover, playing smart not strong and reaching for the big guns.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #10 on: <11-15-10/1830:42> »
"You're all going to die down here." /shiver.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-15-10/1838:44> »
An eight year old girl who speaks in calm Shakespearean English with a voice of someone much older that echoes even when it shouldn't. Said eight year old advances slowly and calmly, shrugging off absolutely anything the characters throw at her. Done right, the overall impression is that the party is about to be overtaken by a walking nuke. Great as a recurring character. Have her guarding something not on the objective list (like that armory with the rail gun). She calmly but adamantly refuses to let anyone past. Actual stats for this monster are your problem.  ;)

Sadly, due to the overwhelming number of horror / wanna-be horror movies and video games that have used this idea, my characters generally pat said little girl on the head, give her a lollipop and go on their way. If they then get nuked, they roll their eyes, tease me for using such a tired cliche and roll up new characters.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <11-15-10/2009:45> »
Gah! You're right. That was much scarier in the mid-90's when I was using it. Same concept, though. Take something seemlingly innocent and give the players just enough info that they know something is horribly wrong.

Step 1: Allow Emotitoys RAW. Go with the logic on this and pretty everyone who uses social skills frequently will own one. Don't bother with too much description but every time the party meets a Johnson, a Fixer or any corp type at all, casually mention that the character has an emotitoy on a necklace, a Share Bear drone on his shoulder, whatever.

Step 2: For the next run Mr. Johnson is a cute Emotitoy and no matter how hard they try the team tech types can not find an incoming signal controlling it. If they're rude enough to try and hack it, the toy fries itself the moment they break through. He has the team do something quick and seemingly innocuous on the first run. Like pick up a car at location x and drop it off at location y. Don't open the trunk. 5,000ny for an hour's work. There's a numbered account and an escrow, so the team doesn't even need to meet again for the second half of their pay.

Step 3: The job goes down without a hitch and the team gets paid with no problems. Then something terrible happens. SCIRE's doors break open, a bomb blows up in the middle of a shopping center killing a ton of civilians, whatever. Whatever it is, its clear that the easy money run was part of a bigger plan. Further investigation (and it will take a lot) determines that a dozen teams were all given innocuous instructions. No one thing caused the event but the collective total of the actions added up to something awful done in such a way that no surveillance systems saw a thing. Stranger still, everyone got their instructions from a talking toy drone. If they dig too far, whichever character is drawing too much attention may wake up in the middle of the night to find half a dozen toy rats drones (the famous Desnai Rat) with chainsaws surrounding his bed.

Step 4: Let that sit for a while, but every time the characters see a cute fuzzy toy drone in a store display, in a kid's hand, on some Johnson's shoulder (see above for how common they are), point it out, especially if its the same model as the one they took a job from or its a playfully cute rat (sans chainsaw). Further investigation of the proprietary emotitoy software and production may reveal certain anomalies. Basically, get them thinking that every Tickle Me Jojo is out to get them.

Step 5: Those other Runner teams that helped set up the Bad Event start disappearing one by one. Are those omnipresent emotitoys watching them as they pass? Does anyone in the party have one of their own?

The enemy is everywhere. It can't be captured (if the toys attack in the night, any that are disabled fry themselves). There's no way to tell a good one from a bad one. They're cute and no one else is ever going to believe a story that the emotitoys are plotting a revolution. They only strike when the characters are weakest and more often than not, there's no direct proof. They have the resources to blow up an entire shopping center without leaving any evidence. The implications should put the shakes in even a hardened Troll.
« Last Edit: <11-15-10/2011:38> by nomadzophiel »

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-15-10/2031:19> »
I like it, if only for step 3.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <11-15-10/2050:23> »
Short form, take something harmless and slowly reveal that its been scary all along. Bonus points if its something the party relies on.