NEWS

[SR6E] Drones and vision enhancements

• 11 Replies

Moloch1066

• Newb
« on: <10-22-21/1501:47> »
So I have a rigger, and I want to be able to spy in darkness, but I'm a little confused on what upgrades I would need.

These are the circles my mind is going in:
If I have thermographic vision, I assume I wouldn't be able to use it when rigging (remotely, or jumped-in) because that sense is linked to my meat-eyes. If I have cyber-eyes with thermographic enhancements, I still couldn't see thermo, because the drone's sensors aren't picking up that frequency.

But if my drone has a thermographic vision upgrade to its sensor array's camera, I will be able to see thermo when jumped in, but what about when remotely piloting? 
What if I choose ultrasound as one of the sensor functions for my drone's sensor array? Would I need an ultrasound link?

And for that matter, if my drone has a smartgun equipped, who needs to have the smartlink?!

Thanks for any help. I have game tomorrow, and I think I made a mistake when building my character!

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-22-21/1524:29> »
Ultrasounds links and smartlinks are just for overlaying info in your vision.  When you're remote piloting, think of it like you're looking at a screen that gives you the output from your drone/vehicle's sensors.  You don't need that info overlaid and integrated into your vision with a special device because you're operating via a screen, like a video game.  Possibly an AR virtual screen.

As to the smartgun question though, I'm not actually sure.  Does a smartgun system even do anything in those cases?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-22-21/1540:36> »
As to the smartgun question though, I'm not actually sure.  Does a smartgun system even do anything in those cases?
Not sure if same in SR6, but in SR5 you were typically allowed to take benefit of a mounted weapon's smartgun if you had an implanted smartlink. As as long as you you were remote controlling it in VR mode / being jumped in.

Moloch1066

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-22-21/1605:55> »
Thanks, that's what I originally did.  ;D

Not sure if same in SR6, but in SR5 you were typically allowed to take benefit of a mounted weapon's smartgun if you had an implanted smartlink. As as long as you you were remote controlling it in VR mode / being jumped in.

Yeah, I seem to remember something like that too.

Moloch1066

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-22-21/1629:00> »
Quick followup:

Drones have a built-in sensor array with a rating equal to their sensor stat (2 for my drones). If I want to add a sensor to a drone, can I just buy a single (ultrasound ;) ) sensor for Y300, or do I need to pay for a whole new array with a rating of 3 for Y3000?!

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-25-21/0550:11> »
Pretty sure the Missions FAQ has notional sensors per rating. I would think you would be able to swap out one function for your new ultrasound sensor! Arrays are capped by drone size too…
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Moloch1066

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-25-21/0923:09> »
Pretty sure the Missions FAQ has notional sensors per rating. I would think you would be able to swap out one function for your new ultrasound sensor! Arrays are capped by drone size too…

Yeah, that's definitely the easiest/least expensive. But with only 2 functions it's really hard to give up cameras or microphones...

I guess microphones aren't critical on a combat drone as long as I have it on my surveillance drones..

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-25-21/1150:11> »
I’ve always assumed that the camera is the same as a stand alone one and therefore incorporates a basic mic for video. Not surveillance quality perhaps but good enough for situational awareness!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-25-21/1217:36> »
My opinion is that visual and audio sensors are standard equipment on any vehicle or drone.  The former is absolutely necessary for remote operation, and the latter for issuing verbal commands to an autopilot.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-25-21/1339:34> »
Personally I see all vehicles (drones are vehicles) that have a Sensor attribute of at least 1 having all sensor types and make no distinction between any specific slot or type as ultimately it really doesn't matter. The attribute measures the quality of the sensors and not the type.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-25-21/1856:47> »
Hardpoints p. 123 of Double Clutch "For shadowrunners, a hardpoint usually means a place for a weapon to be attached, but for civilian vehicles it's most likely a place for a trailer hitch or other tool like a winch or a hoist."  Or a Sensor Array Housing even.  I'd say a Small Hardpoint could easily hold one if you wanted to add such a thing.  See Core Rule book p. 277 for building Sensors. 

If you just want to add Ultrasound (for example), a Single Sensor is 100xRating, if your drone is Body 3 or more you've got a Standard Hardpoint just sitting there, that can be two Small Hardpoints.  Rating 3 Ultrasound Sensor, 300 Nuyen and a Glue Sprayer, all set.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <11-01-21/1618:52> »
I am pretty sure SR6 continued SR5's exclusive-only rule for Ultrasound, if you are using it you aren't using anything else sensor-wise. Which was a change from 4th edition where you could layer however many sensor feeds as you liked.