NEWS

Idea for riggers / drones and some new spell amps

• 18 Replies

kla060365

• Newb
« on: <10-15-16/1713:50> »
Here's an idea for riggers / drones and some new spell amps:

Drones and Combat

A rigger may control up to 2 drones with a Control Rig and take a move and attack action with each, every Narration. If the rigger has more than 2 drones in the area additional drones (running on inbuilt programs) provide 1 Plot Point each per Narration (maximum of 2).
A rigger may swap which drones he is controlling each Narration.

Control Rig 1, 2, 3 (Amp Leve 2, 3, 4): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 1/2/3 dice on vehicle actions. A rigger may directly control up to 2 drones. If he only directly controls one drone he may also take another action if using AR. –2 Essence

Drones Amps
Drones come in 3 sizes Small (S), Medium (M) and Large (L). When a drone amp is selected define the type e.g. flying, tracked, wheeled, aquatic etc.
Small Drones (2) (Amp Level 1): Basic drone [A3, D6]

Medium Drone (Amp Level 1): Basic drone [A6, D9]

Large Drone (Amp Level 2): Basic drone [A9, D9]

Armor (Amp Level 1): Adds 3 to drone’s armor.

Drone Weapons (Amp Level 1): Melee  (M/L only), Light Pistol (S/M/l), Heavy Pistol (M/L), SMG (M/L), Cannon/Launcher (L)

Spells
Power Bolt (Spell) (Amp Level 3): Combat. Damage of 6P. Defense = S + W.

Power Ball (Spell) (Amp Level 4): Combat. Damage 6P. Affects up to W targets. Defense A + W.

Ram (Spell) (Amp Level 3): Combat. Damage 6P. Affects inanimate only.

Combat Sense (Spell) (Amp Level 2):
Provides 1 additional Plot Point per Narration the spell is sustained.

Levitate 1, 2, 3 (Spell) (Amp Level 2, 3, 4): Effect. Magically lift items/people with Strength 6, 8, 10 (GM to assign a Strength equivalent to weight where applicable). Sustained.

Magic Fingers (Spell) (Amp Level 2): Effect. Telekinetic fingers with a Strength of 1. Sustained.

Physical Barrier (Spell) (Amp Level 3): Effect. Reduce damage by 2 for the duration of attacks passing in or out. Barrier is a dome approximately WILL meters in diameter or a wall WILL meters long. Sustained.

Ice Sheet (Spell) (Amp Level 2): Combat. Agility + Agility vs Average (8 dice) or slip over.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-16/1858:47> »
These are really good.  More spells are always valuable.  Bringing Control Rigs and Cyberdecks closer together is great too.  Your version of a Drone Amp is more intuitive.  I might suggest the following: 

1. I would be super wary of uncontrolled drones adding Plot Points per Narration; That is REALLY powerful.  More powerful than the best Wired Reflexes.

2. Stratify Control Rigs like Cyberdecks and run drones like programs:

Control Rig 1 (Amp Level 2): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 1 die on vehicle actions. May control 1 drone at a time. -2 Essence

Control Rig 2 (Amp Level 3): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 2 dice on vehicle actions. May control 1 drone at a time. -2 Essence

Control Rig 3 (Amp Level 4): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 2 dice on vehicle actions. May control 2 drones at a time. -2 Essence

Control Rig 4 (Amp Level 5): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 3 dice on vehicle actions. May control 2 drones at a time. -2 Essence

*Then use your Drone Amps as listed but each drone still adds +1 attack/movement like in the rules (but only if controlled; like running a program, you only get its benefit if slotted).  And remember you don't have to buy a Drone Weapon for the drone.  You can give it one of your own weapons (like Hardpoint does, p.79).

3. Add Tasers/Tranqs to Small Drone Weapons.

4. Add Drone Skills (Amp Level 1, 2, 3): Add 1/2/3 to a single Logic-based Skill or Test.  [This is how you make the MCT Fly-Spy (+1 Perception).  You could also make a Tracking drone, a repair (Engineering) drone, a medic (Biotech) drone, etc.]

5. Power Bolt and Power Ball seem overpriced for what they do (compare to Mana Bolt).  The Spell Effects and Cost Table (p. 207) would suggest a cost of 2 and 3 respectively.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

kla060365

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-16/0621:38> »
I was adding Plot Points for uncontrolled drone (with a limit of 2) so the rigger gains the equivalent of Wired Reflexes.

Also maybe the Small Drone should give just one drone and we should add:

TinyDrones (2) (Amp Level 1): Basic drone [A3, D3]

Which would be for very small drones e.g. MCT Fly-Spy that cannot have a weapon added.

Good catch on the Powerbolt/ball for some reason I had the idea that 5P was basic damage for spells and was adding +1 Amp for +1 damage!

Deckers/Hackers
On another note, as far as I have seen deckers cannot get more actions or bonus Polot Points during combat unless they take Wired Reflexes (and would these even work in the matrix?).
We could just give deckers +1 action when in VR in the matrix as it is supposed ot be so much faster than real life.
Or perhaps a modification to cyberdecks - essentially the equivalent of Wired Reflexes for cyber combat only?

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-16-16/1358:14> »
Micro drone is a good add.

I was thinking Plot Points per Narration was too much, but if you meant Plot Points per Scene, that is more reasonable.

Increased Reaction (+1 Attack, +1/+2 Plot Points) is available to all, you just have to make it.  It's just a shadow amp. 

You could have a cerebral booster, a fork program that allows extra attack, a boosted data processing chip, etc.  Just make the "AR/VR only."

Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

kla060365

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-16-16/1653:50> »
OK this is a collection of my posts here and on RPG forums with amendments/suggestions by Gingivitis

Riggers and Drones
Drones and Combat
A rigger may control up to 2 drones with a Control Rig and take a move and attack action with each, every Narration. If the rigger has more than 2 drones in the area additional drones (running on inbuilt programs) provide 1 Plot Point each per Scene (maximum of 2).
A rigger may swap which drones he is controlling each Narration.

Control Rig 1 (Amp Level 2): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 1 die on vehicle actions. May control 1 drone at a time. -2 Essence

Control Rig 2 (Amp Level 3): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 2 dice on vehicle actions. May control 1 drone at a time. -2 Essence

Control Rig 3 (Amp Level 4): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 2 dice on vehicle actions. May control 2 drones at a time. -2 Essence

Control Rig 4 (Amp Level 5): Cyberware. Control vehicles by VR, +1 die to vehicle actions, may reroll 3 dice on vehicle actions. May control 2 drones at a time. -2 Essence

Drones Amps
Drones come in 3 sizes Small (S), Medium (M) and Large (L). When a drone amp is selected define the type e.g. flying, tracked, wheeled, aquatic etc.

Tiny Drones (2) (Amp Level 1): Basic drone [A3, D3]

Small Drones  (Amp Level 1): Basic drone [A3, D6]

Medium Drone (Amp Level 1): Basic drone [A6, D9]

Large Drone (Amp Level 2): Basic drone [A9, D9]

Armor (Amp Level 1): Adds 3 to drone’s armor. May not be applied to Tiny Drones

Drone Weapons (Amp Level 1): Melee  (M/L only), Taser/tranq pistols (S/M/L), Light Pistol (S/M/l), Heavy Pistol (M/L), SMG (M/L), Cannon/Launcher (L)

Drone Skills (Amp Level 1, 2, 3): Add 1/2/3 to a single Logic-based Skill or Test.  [This is how you make the MCT Fly-Spy (+1 Perception).  You could also make a Tracking drone, a repair (Engineering) drone, a medic (Biotech) drone, etc.]

Awakened
For my game I don’t like the idea of characters mixing spells and physical adept powers so I am going to have Awakened – Magical and Awakened – Physical Adept both costing 2 Amps and being mutually exclusive.

Spells
Power Bolt (Spell) (Amp Level 2): Combat. Damage of 6P. Defense = S + W.

Power Ball (Spell) (Amp Level 3): Combat. Damage 6P. Affects up to W targets. Defense A + W.

Ram (Spell) (Amp Level 3): Combat. Damage 6P. Affects inanimate only.

Combat Sense (Spell) (Amp Level 2): Provides 1 additional Plot Point per Narration the spell is sustained.

Levitate 1, 2, 3 (Spell) (Amp Level 2, 3, 4): Effect. Magically lift items/people with Strength 6, 8, 10 (GM to assign a Strength equivalent to weight where applicable). Sustained.

Magic Fingers (Spell) (Amp Level 2): Effect. Telekinetic fingers with a Strength of 1. Sustained.

Physical Barrier (Spell) (Amp Level 3): Effect. Reduce damage by 2 for the duration of attacks passing in or out. Barrier is a dome approximately WILL meters in diameter or a wall WILL meters long. Sustained.
Note: the size here is to just give an idea of how much space a barrier can ward, GMs and players should use the narrative to actually define the barrier.

Ice Sheet (Spell) (Amp Level 2): Combat. Agility + Agility vs Average (8 dice) or slip over.

Increase Reflexes 1, 2, 3 (Spell) (Amp Level 2, 3, 4): Effect: 1 = Gains +1 attack. 2 = +1 attack, 1 Plot Point per Scene. 3 = +1 attack, 2 Plot Points per Scene. Sustained.

Deckers/Hackers
A couple of ideas for speeding up deckers in the matrix.

Cerebral Booster (Cyberware) 1 (Amp Level 2): Effect: Gains +1 attack when accessing the matrix via AR or VR. –1 Essence.

Fork (program) (Amp Level 2): Gain +1 attack in cybercombat.

Weapons Range Amendments
A minor change to make SMGs worth taking:

Assault Rifles: Damage 8P, Close -2, Near OK, Far -2

Question
Should the ability of a drone to fly be based on size? e.g. only Tiny and Small can fly?

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-16-16/1853:30> »
I really like that Assault Rifle change.  I am going to adopt that.  Close Quarter Combat is what the SMG was made for.  Makes sense.

Ram (spell) might be over-priced too, btw, for what it does.

Awakened:  Do you not allow Mystic Adepts in your game?  It is a relatively new addition to SR but it's been generally accepted since 4th.

I gave flying a specific Amp effect.  Flying: Take +1 damage; attackers must reroll 1 successful die.
Basically it is dodgier but more delicate because of the flying parts.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-17-16/1435:23> »
Mind if I add some of these to my excel character generator? Duely credited of course!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

kla060365

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-17-16/1520:20> »

Ram (spell) might be over-priced too, btw, for what it does.

Awakened:  Do you not allow Mystic Adepts in your game?  It is a relatively new addition to SR but it's been generally accepted since 4th.

I gave flying a specific Amp effect.  Flying: Take +1 damage; attackers must reroll 1 successful die.
Basically it is dodgier but more delicate because of the flying parts.

You're correct again with the Ram observation, it should be Amp Level 2.

I'll add Flight as a drone amp on my next update.

I've skimmed SR5 & can't see that you can have Physical Adept powers & be a spell caster but I may have missed something.

kla060365

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-17-16/1523:20> »
Mind if I add some of these to my excel character generator? Duely credited of course!

I'm quite happy for my stuff to be used anywhere. Hopefully someone more  artistic or skilled with a layout package can perceive a presentable document of these & others from the community for all to use 😉

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-17-16/1613:44> »
Check out p. 69 of SR5 Core Book.  Under Mystic Adepts.

kla060365

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-17-16/1634:21> »
Check out p. 69 of SR5 Core Book.  Under Mystic Adepts.

I was stupidly looking in the magic chapter! I stand, well sit, corrected.

I'm still not sure I'd allow them in Anarchy - why would you not play a Mystic Adept when you could take the Adept Improved Reflexes ability over the sustained Improved Reflexes spell?

As an aside we could allow Aspected Magician - Conjuring and Aspected Magician - Sorcery for perhaps 1 Amp point (rather than the 2 for Awakened)

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-17-16/1655:33> »
So... Awakened is a "barrier to entry" to free (no Essence cost) Shadow Amps (spells, foci, adept powers).  It is similar to Emerged (for complex forms), and even Cyberdecks (for programs).

If one messes with Awakened, they run the risks of unbalancing the whole setup.  After all, Shadow Amps are just story devices and dice modifiers.  You could ask why would anyone pay Essence for a cyberlimb when they could just be an Adept?  The answer should almost always be: because this is cooler for my character concept.

Also we should be wary of adding granularity (crunch) where it needn't be.  Obviously if a GM doesn't like the concept of Mystic Adepts or TMs for that matter, the table can disallow them.

kla060365

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <10-19-16/1409:22> »
So... Awakened is a "barrier to entry" to free (no Essence cost) Shadow Amps (spells, foci, adept powers).  It is similar to Emerged (for complex forms), and even Cyberdecks (for programs).

If one messes with Awakened, they run the risks of unbalancing the whole setup.  After all, Shadow Amps are just story devices and dice modifiers.  You could ask why would anyone pay Essence for a cyberlimb when they could just be an Adept?  The answer should almost always be: because this is cooler for my character concept.

Also we should be wary of adding granularity (crunch) where it needn't be.  Obviously if a GM doesn't like the concept of Mystic Adepts or TMs for that matter, the table can disallow them.

Sorry I haven't been ignoring you - real life got in the way!

I think the problem with allowing mages to pick physical adept powers is really the 6 Shadow Amp limit. For the Increased Reflexes spell to be really useful it needs to be sustained so ideally you also need the Sustaining Focus amp (so you can sustain another spell). This has been mentioned on the RPG Forums, see this page: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?779798-Shadowrun-A-rules-light-announcement-It-s-been-released!-Staff-Pick/page88

Anyway rather than keep adding posts here with our amps I've started a Google Document that anyone should be able to read and comment on - I'll update it if people want changes or to add things: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1APRUy91cuCIsdMof6q6FuHhut_fsqgnGD_yU_fRpmHQ/edit?usp=sharing

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-19-16/1600:57> »
I think the problem with allowing mages to pick physical adept powers is really the 6 Shadow Amp limit. For the Increased Reflexes spell to be really useful it needs to be sustained so ideally you also need the Sustaining Focus amp (so you can sustain another spell). This has been mentioned on the RPG Forums, see this page: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?779798-Shadowrun-A-rules-light-announcement-It-s-been-released!-Staff-Pick/page88

Can't access Google Docs from work, so replying here.

I disagree. The Increased Reflexes spell has one major use case that the adept power doesn't. You can target other people.

So yeah, if you just want to boost yourself, take the adept power. But if you want to boost whoever needs it at the time? Take the spell. If you take the spell and a sustaining focus, you can do both at once.
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-19-16/1730:54> »
IIRC the sample character "Rose" is a Mystic Adept with a mix of spells and Adept powers.  Could be recalling wrong on that one though.

And Mystic Adepts have been around since 3rd or 4th Edition.  Full on Mages with Physical Adept Powers.  With the mechanics of Shadow Amps it's no particular advantage to be able to throw spells and have powers, they cost the same.  Plus there is the Adept Spell Power that lets a Physical Adept throw a spell in 5th edition, may have been in other editions.

Ultimately if it's an Adept power, Quickened Spell, or a Sustaining foci its just fluff because it's 1 point plus 1 per die.