NEWS

Dragon*Con

• 36 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <09-03-10/2019:04> »
So, some of you are at Dragon*Con this weekend! 

When you get home, let us know how it was!  Did you play Shadowrun?  How was it?  Post some pictures!  Share the con experience with us!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <09-03-10/2108:34> »
Couldn't make it this year (between moving and tuition), but trust me...Dragon*Con is something that can't properly be shared over the internet.   ;D

Jackal

• Newb
  • JackPoint VPN Admin
« Reply #2 on: <09-03-10/2115:22> »
Couldn't make it this year (between moving and tuition), but trust me...Dragon*Con is something that can't properly be shared over the internet.   ;D

That makes Dragon*Con almost sound like a communicable disease.... which giving the cold I picked up at Gencon might not be far from the truth. :)
Dumpshock IRC Server

"This Snow Crash thing—is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?"
"What's the difference?"

"Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <09-03-10/2135:05> »
As someone who's a multi-year veteran of both, I describe GenCon as a gaming convention, with costuming and celebrities on the side, at maybe a 4:1 ratio, and I describe Dragon*Con as, functionally, the opposite.  I'm the weirdo of the Cobra 21st Infantry -- http://www.cobracares.com/index.htm -- because I actually go play the RPGs and wargames and stuff.  A large percentage of D*Con's population just go there to mill around, look and (and show off) costumes, and sit in on the occasional panel.  And get very drunk.  The whole time.  Like, a buddy of mine walks around with a "mobile bar" backpack full of colorfully mixed drinks and just sprays alcoholic beverages into anyone who asks for some, drunk.  It's basically one giant costuming party with a few other things going on in a basement somewhere.

While it's (theoretically) possible to tell someone about all the cool games they played and stuff, that's such a small part of the D*Con experience that the best answer is, in my opinion a Google Image search.  It's a little like Mardi Gras that way.  You still won't get ALL the fun, but at least you'll get to see some fun...uhh...costumes.

Both D*Con and GenCon together, just a few weeks apart?  Makes for an awesome end to summer break, by the way.   ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-03-10/2138:26> »
I haven't been to Dragon*Con, but from everything I've seen, it's more of sci-fi/fantasy "industry" show than a gaming con. They get a lot of the big stars down there, way more than GenCon even dreams of.

Thing that's weird is that PAX is scheduled same weekend as Dragon*Con this year. That would probably skew the Critias' ratio even further away from the gamers this year.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #5 on: <09-03-10/2203:11> »
So Bull nice shiny new forums looks cool can we get you back over on Dumpshock though??
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Backfire

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-04-10/0645:32> »
We will be going today. This is my first time at the con.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #7 on: <09-04-10/1337:25> »
We will be going today. This is my first time at the con.
Have a blast!

Backfire

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-04-10/2038:02> »
Dragoncon was a blast. Took some pictures. The first is the wife at the Catalyst booth Talking to Brent Evans. Then the second was these two guys in front of us at line.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #9 on: <09-04-10/2112:17> »
Awesome.  Brent's a good guy.  Hopefully he's having a good time!

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-04-10/2238:54> »
I keep thinking I should go one of these years, but it never seems to work out.

Ahh well, at least the new books got there.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #11 on: <09-05-10/1945:21> »
It must be good my friends aren't answering their phones lol
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-06-10/0331:12> »
I am hoping to hit multiple conventions in 2011. I sat them all out this year.  :'(

RL can be soooo intrusive!

Of course, I could work at the last few kinks in my time travel machine and go back to hit all the conventions I have missed!  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #13 on: <09-06-10/1756:56> »
You get the time travel machine working let me (Quitely of course) we'll fix more than your missing this years cons.  :P
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-06-10/1806:35> »
No paradoxes though!
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.