NEWS

Street Grimore

• 14 Replies

TechnoGolem

• Newb
« on: <02-09-16/0742:55> »
Recently started picking up Shadowrun 5th edition and it seems this book is out of print. The few places I've seen selling it are asking for absurd prices. Any chance this book will be reprinted and, if so, when?

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-09-16/0944:55> »
If you can't wait I rather recommend the PDF. But I wonder, is the PDF a good option for you?
Booyah!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <02-09-16/1112:17> »
TG, do like my group, and have a laptop or two at the table loaded with all the books in PDF form. You'll have an easier time rounding up PDFs, and a laptop is easier to cart around than a suitcase full of books.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-09-16/1205:12> »
Looking into the status...will advise what I learn.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-09-16/1207:13> »
I also have a lot of books on PDF (not only for Shadowrun).  I load them on my tablet and take that to the games.  Easy to look up (I either know the page number and type it in directly, or a search for keywords) and it weighs a lot less than books.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <02-09-16/1218:09> »
I'd honestly not buy a hard-copy of Street Grimoire at the moment, if I was you.  The editing on that book was absolutely atrocious, and some of the mechanics were bad as well in my opinion.  PDFs can eventually be updated, while your actual books are much less amenable to updates. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-09-16/1219:35> »
I'd honestly not buy a hard-copy of Street Grimoire at the moment, if I was you.  The editing on that book was absolutely atrocious, and some of the mechanics were bad as well in my opinion.  PDFs can eventually be updated, while your actual books are much less amenable to updates.
Agreed.
Playability > verisimilitude.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-09-16/1725:38> »
I confirmed with Jason that Street Grimoire is sold out at distribution...hence, they're starting to queue up a reprint. The intention would be to include errata/corrections, but no firm confirmation on timing or what would be included...somewhat dependent the amount of time before they need to send the files.

TechnoGolem

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-09-16/1859:29> »
Thanks for the info AJ.

I know there benefits to buying PDFs but I'm not really a fan of them. I like the feel of a book in my hand and seeing my collection on a bookshelf. Besides, I never had a problem making a call on the spot and saying we would look it up later. Not to mention I dislike spending long periods of time reading at a laptop or tablet. Plus I got robbed years ago and all he took was my wallet since I just had gaming supplies in my car. If I would have had a tablet or laptop I could have kissed them goodbye.

I guess it wouldn't hurt picking up PDFs to supplement the books but books will always be my primary source of info.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <02-09-16/1948:12> »
Well, if you get your gaming stuff through a site with a profile, they give you access to your books online.  You could go anywhere, sign in and download them.  I agree with you about the feel and use of books; if I am to actually play a game at a table I need a hard-copy book of my own. 

That said, I'm not going to buy a single hard-copy Shadowrun book until I know for sure things have been fixed.  I don't trust the situation at this point.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-10-16/1540:57> »
Well, if you get your gaming stuff through a site with a profile, they give you access to your books online.  You could go anywhere, sign in and download them.  I agree with you about the feel and use of books; if I am to actually play a game at a table I need a hard-copy book of my own.
I store ALL my gaming material in the Cloud (currently using OneDrive)...very convenient (as long as I've got a wifi signal ;)).

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-10-16/1544:05> »
Well, if you get your gaming stuff through a site with a profile, they give you access to your books online.  You could go anywhere, sign in and download them.

With DriveThru you can, but last I used the 'official' web store, you had like a month or two to download your PDF. This leads it to appear that after that time you'd have to buy it again to go to the site and download it on another computer.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-10-16/1924:07> »
With DriveThru you can, but last I used the 'official' web store, you had like a month or two to download your PDF. This leads it to appear that after that time you'd have to buy it again to go to the site and download it on another computer.
Yep...a bit of a pain...kinda why I load everything into the cloud. However, I've never had any issue when requesting the downloads from a order be reset.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #13 on: <02-10-16/2201:42> »
I upload mine to Dropbox so I always can access them anywhere
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #14 on: <02-11-16/0016:16> »
Google drive has all my SR 5 books. Makes for a great resource for when I want to read a book, all I need is decent WiFi or cell strength and boom which ever book I want.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.