NEWS

It Must be stated

• 107 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #75 on: <09-08-10/2100:41> »
Y'know for a issue that's 'not that big a deal', 31 replies in 7 hours is pretty impressive.

Two things (as someone that has seen many strange behaviors/ideas from working in corporate America and also with marketing reps):

1)  You fail to take into account that the average gamer has no idea of the difference between a magazine or a clip. Or cares that there's a difference. Neither terms are used in great degree, even in movies where guns are prevalent. Most of the time, they simply say "I'm out!" when talking ammo. (If they are shooting 15 rounds without loading a revolver.)

2)  Words cost money. Magazine is twice the length of clip. Might not seem like a lot, but when you're dealing with printed materials, every penny counts. And if you can shorten a book by 2-4 pages by misusing a term that everyone thinks is similar to the correct term, chances are you're going to go with the shorter term. And hope that the minority of your customers that would recognize the difference are forgiving enough to not make a big deal out of it.

I'm so glad we've now found the official representative for deciding on if things are important or not and judge of who "average gamers" are  ::) I mean if you didn't announce yourself, my self identity would be lost in the ether! Thank you so much!
Sorry, it wasn't my intent to speak for anyone. I was just trying to posit that on average, this isn't that important. I didn't mean to belittle anyone's opinions.

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #76 on: <09-08-10/2147:30> »
Sorry, it wasn't my intent to speak for anyone. I was just trying to posit that on average, this isn't that important. I didn't mean to belittle anyone's opinions.
Ya know, I think I still have Dumpshock forum troll syndrome from previous experiences of posting but I honestly didn't expect a positive response after I posted that comment... I'm happy to see people can actually speak there minds and not turn threads into flame wars. I really hope this forum experiences a lot less trolling then Dumpshock does.
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #77 on: <09-08-10/2210:05> »
Well, unless the troll is 8' tall and has horns. They're allowed. ;)

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #78 on: <09-08-10/2236:53> »
Well, unless the troll is 8' tall and has horns. They're allowed. ;)

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100707
Looks to me like this guy's a real troll, in both ways :D
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #79 on: <09-09-10/0017:23> »
Nice, throw a grenade at your enemies and than create a physical barrier around them to imprison them in the explosion area 8).

Genius... gotta remember that one...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Elseabea

• Newb
« Reply #80 on: <09-09-10/0026:53> »
It's informative and interesting, but I don't imagine many will stick to the technical terms regarding firearms.

Trust me, as a former Navy Nuclear technician, whenever I hear the TV spout "The reactor's going CRITICAL!"  I just want to laugh/cry/hurl heavy objects.

For those who don't know, "critical" means that you have TURNED THE REACTOR ON.  It is at the CRITICAL point where it is now a self-sustaining reaction.

I get where you are coming from, but TV and Hollywood (and, by extension, most of the public) will always use terms they have very little knowledge of.

I work on submarines, carriers, and what not for the Navy (hey, the money is good) and you have no idea how much some of this kind of thing drives me nuts at times. Other times, I just get over it.

Same thing with Seattle 2072. I live near Seattle and the little things in there I find.... odd. Wrong.  Oh well.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #81 on: <09-09-10/0054:29> »
Tell me about it. I am living near the city of Munich in Germany. There is a Munich Sourcebook (published only in german). Need I say more...? :)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #82 on: <09-09-10/0216:18> »
Nice, throw a grenade at your enemies and than create a physical barrier around them to imprison them in the explosion area 8).

Happy that you like the idea  :D
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Pepsi Jedi

• Newb
« Reply #83 on: <09-09-10/0403:46> »
Seeing as Clip is common slang for Magazine when speaking of guns and in context. The Shadowrun writers may have chosen "Clip" on purpose. As to avoid confusion with people who's only knowledge of guns, is through RPGs.

Calling it a "Magazine" might conjure images of Toyfare or Newsweek or Wired, or Entertainment Weekly. Or.... Guns And Ammo.  A clip in reference to a gun has fewer ways to be confused. Sure you can clip your gun to your belt but you can put your magazines in your belt as well but what if you have a magazine on guns and in the magazine there are clips or news clips about magazines?

lol

IRL It's nice to be clear and use proper terminology.

In a game. use what's fun and common.

If you want to use Magazine in your games. Use it. :) It's not like it's a consistantly mis-spelled word. It's slang or a synonym through common parlance.

Lighten up!

Be excellent to each other!

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #84 on: <09-09-10/0648:03> »
It's informative and interesting, but I don't imagine many will stick to the technical terms regarding firearms.

Trust me, as a former Navy Nuclear technician, whenever I hear the TV spout "The reactor's going CRITICAL!"  I just want to laugh/cry/hurl heavy objects.

For those who don't know, "critical" means that you have TURNED THE REACTOR ON.  It is at the CRITICAL point where it is now a self-sustaining reaction.

I get where you are coming from, but TV and Hollywood (and, by extension, most of the public) will always use terms they have very little knowledge of.

I work on submarines, carriers, and what not for the Navy (hey, the money is good) and you have no idea how much some of this kind of thing drives me nuts at times. Other times, I just get over it.

Same thing with Seattle 2072. I live near Seattle and the little things in there I find.... odd. Wrong.  Oh well.

I've found a few discrepancies in my old hometown as well... must have totally missed Aztlan getting thrown out of town by a huge freaking dragon, for example. See what happens when I only have time for the sports page?  ;D
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #85 on: <09-09-10/0953:26> »
LOL But this ain't your Seattle any more. Nor is it my Detroit. It's Shadowruns. So the discrepencies are there because the writers don't live in our home towns and it is supposed to be a fictional setting. So I figure its cool. If I were to GM a Detroit game I'd just use a City map and fluff the Sprawl. In our case I MIGHT have to tone it down a bit... ;D
« Last Edit: <09-09-10/1103:40> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Juxtamon

• Newb
« Reply #86 on: <09-09-10/1051:20> »

Just have to get the barrier strong enough so it doesn't pop with the explosion.  If you get a nice small one around, and it holds against the blast?  Tupperware for your chunky salsa!
"Was it in Tahiti?  Were we on the Nile?"

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #87 on: <09-09-10/1104:54> »

Just have to get the barrier strong enough so it doesn't pop with the explosion.  If you get a nice small one around, and it holds against the blast?  Tupperware for your chunky salsa!
Ok dude... I'm eating pizza rigt now. I almost shot it out my nose! ;D
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

rockstar

• Newb
« Reply #88 on: <09-09-10/1203:25> »
 the thing is that its not a mis-stated term because some of the guns do use magazines. if it was as simple as that then they'd all use a clip.

as for the physical barrier aroun a grenade thing.... hells yeah!!!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #89 on: <09-09-10/1211:39> »
It's 2072, 62 years from now. Maybe they DO all use a clip?