NEWS

Women in Front Line Combat Roles in the Australian Defence Force

• 65 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #15 on: <10-01-11/0558:52> »
The only thing I hate worse than strapping down a woman in the ER or mental floor, is having to strap down an elderly person who is confused because of alzheimers or dementia.  It always makes me feel like a bully.  I hate that feeling.

That's gotta be a tough job.

Had a friend that worked with cancer patients - that took a special kind of person, too, I've gotta say.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-01-11/0730:30> »
The only thing I hate worse than strapping down a woman in the ER or mental floor, is having to strap down an elderly person who is confused because of alzheimers or dementia.  It always makes me feel like a bully.  I hate that feeling.

That's gotta be a tough job.

Had a friend that worked with cancer patients - that took a special kind of person, too, I've gotta say.

I love my job, it might be tough on the heart but it's a good one.  but Back on point...

I just don't see why they think that women can't perform in combat roles.  it's been proven since the War on Terror that there are no front lines anymore.  anybody could have to fight.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <10-01-11/0752:58> »
I just don't see why they think that women can't perform in combat roles.  it's been proven since the War on Terror that there are no front lines anymore.  anybody could have to fight.

The primary problem, I believe, is the same as women in any other role (military or otherwise) - the old boys club. It's the same reason there are fewer women CEOs, politicians, etc.

The culture is set up to exclude women as much as possible, and it is ingrained and reinforced from year to year, rather than any reform being made. It's hard to break the cycle, because the people that are in the positions to do so seldom want to, and those that the task to do so, have been doing what they've been doing for so long, they don't feel the need to alter things. It's an unfortunate case of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Unfortunately, it is broke, but if they don't, or can't, see it that way, they'll drag their heels to avoid fixing it, or just assume that the person that steps into their role after they retire can deal with the mess. Unfortunately, the person that steps into that role has usually been trained by the person leaving it, so the cycle continues.

That's why I suggested that we attempt to change things as early as possible - early Elementary schools - so that, hopefully, the next generation that comes through doesn't have all the old boys hang ups (and it'd be nice if all the Victorian-inherited sexual repression was gone, along with the current rebellion-to-those-mores).

We'll see. The ADF is hoping to roll this out in 5 years, so it gives them a bit of time to lay some groundwork, and make some inroads. Ultimately, time will tell.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <10-01-11/1156:54> »
Of course, one would hope that they could train them to focus the crazy if they wanted to be in a combat role in the military. ;)
Crazy doesn't work as well for Soldiers as it does for Warriors.  It also works a lot less when you have a Assault Rifle/DMR/SAW.

Now, up close and personal with bayonets, knives, tomahawks, and entrenching tools...  Yeah, you want crazy then.

Actually, women would probably make damned good "Tunnel Rats" if they still have to have people in those roles, would they not?  (I'm just a dumb civvie, what do I know?).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #19 on: <10-01-11/1225:29> »
Ugh, now i am reminded of someone talking about motivation related to self defense. I think one of his standbys in his female classes was to tell them to imagine the attacker going after their loved ones...

As the saying goes, do not get between mama bear and her cubs...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <10-01-11/1332:53> »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #21 on: <10-01-11/1452:28> »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <10-01-11/1704:17> »
Not exactly on topic, but an episode of Black Lagoon (Good Shadowrun material there, BTW) had a little girl with a dangling little dolly...  On her gift wrapped BAR, which she used to wipe out the bar completely as if it was a bloody .22 SMG of some sort!

She missed one.  Luckily her brother was around with a fire axe.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #23 on: <10-01-11/1858:03> »
Check out the recent ova, where a mini-version of the battle maid drops by.

btw, i love how "casual" the bartender gets about his bar being trashed ;)

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <10-02-11/0228:18> »
Of course, one would hope that they could train them to focus the crazy if they wanted to be in a combat role in the military. ;)
Crazy doesn't work as well for Soldiers as it does for Warriors.  It also works a lot less when you have a Assault Rifle/DMR/SAW.

Now, up close and personal with bayonets, knives, tomahawks, and entrenching tools...  Yeah, you want crazy then.

This why it's good that they have Physical and Psychological requirements. ;)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <10-02-11/0544:57> »

The sad thing is, they don't do all the tests upon going in, sometimes someone has to see something is wrong before they start doing testing.  Could be a year or 10 before someone sees something is wrong.

This why it's good that they have Physical and Psychological requirements. ;)
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <10-02-11/0549:54> »
Ummm, you seem to have quoted me, but then not actually said anything?

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #27 on: <10-02-11/0558:23> »
He must have glitched.

Phylos Fett

• Omae

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #29 on: <10-02-11/0604:27> »
That's be pretty bad considering Arc is the name of his technomancer character.