NEWS

Magic cant work we broke it

• 9 Replies

DANGER

• Newb
« on: <06-21-18/0928:19> »
So I did a bunch of math about back ground counts, and guess what you magic users are taking a -6000 or more dice pool penalty every time you use magic on earth or the moon thanks to nuclear and military testing. If anyone cares to hear the math ill be back.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-21-18/1006:00> »
I am morbidly curious.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-18/1009:04> »
I can't tell if the post is serious or if the trollbots are learning how to make their posts sound quasi-relevant to the forums they've infiltrated.  The lack of a link to penis enlargement pills or what-have-you make it really hard to tell...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

DANGER

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-21-18/1815:47> »
SO here's the math, every nuclear weapons power is compared to megatons of TNT as a quick example Hiroshima was 15 kilotons of TNT equivalent. using shadowruns 12p per 1 kilo of TNT, we can calculate that the blast from that explosion would create a damaging force of 180000p. back ground count goes up 1 per 20 points of dmg after 95p (pg.178 run and gun) so take our damage value and divide by 20. That gives you a hefty background count of 9000. That was a small bomb though and the back ground count expands outward in a spherical shape prom ground zero at a rate of 1 meter per DV so in a 180 kilometer radius in all directions you will be getting the aforementioned background count. Now for the big one. The Tsar bomba created by the soviet union and tested in 1961 to date it is The largest Nuclear bomb ever detonated with a TNT equivalent energy of 50 Megatons 50 megatons is eqaul to 50000000000 Kilograms of TNT, HOLY SHIT RIGHT! so the explosion of the Tsar Bomba would do 600000000000p, Roll body and armor shazbots. so thats a back ground count of -30000000000 covering a distance of 600 million kilometers  the earth is only 12,742 km in diameter and in fact the Back ground count radius would expand as far as Mars or even Jupiter. and so that my friends is why magic is a no go. Russia canceled it. If you see a problem with my math feel free to let me know.

« Last Edit: <06-21-18/1822:51> by DANGER »

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-21-18/2023:12> »
Very nice.

I won't add too much seeing as how this is a bit of a laugh, but I suppose the mitigating factors would be that:

1) assuming people survive they would be acclimating to the background count. So the point where the background count is gone isn't F hours but meets an equilibrium somewhere short of that
2) the bomb creating a background count is one thing, but there are other forces that can counter that. The earth awakened with magic (... I know right), so it's lore that nuclear bombs don't work at their true capacity because mother earth just kinda says nope.
3) if we all had a dollar for every inconsistent or self contradicting element within this system we'd be rich enough to hire editors :)

So my only contribution would be that the environment would return to normal sooner than you'd think

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <06-21-18/2044:26> »
I think it's a spam bot, though certainly the most colorful one I've seen yet.
Thinking
com
speaking

DANGER

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-21-18/2142:47> »
I just thought it was funny, the "because magic" rationale is basically unarguable. I was just trying to Blow a hole through a floor and noticed I was gonna make a background count so I went off on a tangent about nukes.

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #7 on: <06-22-18/0247:51> »
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!  >:(

That said, interesting tangent LOL

Crunch~

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-22-18/1514:01> »
And now we know.

My question is now how long does it take for that background count to dissipate?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-23-18/1013:18> »
Minutes to hours to never.

Also consider that all the nuke testing was done during the downturn of magic, so in essence there's a literal power vacuum to fill with all this irradiated BGC, and that after the awakening the gaiasphere is limited to within Earth's atmosphere and most all magic above that gets violently dissipated into the Void.