NEWS

DragonCon 2011 (con attendance, etc)

• 25 Replies

ImmaculateImage

• Newb
« on: <09-18-11/1530:37> »
I'd like to thank Kai and the other GMs for their efforts at D*C this year. There was definitely a shortage of judges (and I'm part of that), though next year I'll go back to running some Shadowrun rather than PFS (2 of the 3 PFS tables did not make). I definitely thought the three scenarios I played (Ancient Pawns, Superbrawl Sunday and  Threads of the Past) were reasonably well structured.

My only negative comments are with respect to table size (nothing you can do about that) and  that a certain player, who will remain nameless, decided that some goodies in a particular scenario warranted initiating PvP combat. While I can understand that sometimes these situations arise, con slots are just too short for this sort of nonsense and IMO you just have to accept certain things that go with an organized campaign.

Looking forward to playing some S3 scenarios in a couple weeks.

RT

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <09-18-11/1645:29> »
Hope ya had fun with Pawns and Sunday!  Sorry to hear you ran into some PvP static (which I'm normally okay with, but I agree with you that the limited time slot of a convention makes those shenanigans a lot less cool).

Spanner

• Newb
  • Good? Bad? I'm the dwarf with the drones.
« Reply #2 on: <09-19-11/1053:03> »
Particularly less cool due to the fact that the guy who initiated the PVP over the items is also a regular judge at D*C. Soured my experience no doubt.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <10-06-11/0220:59> »
Hope ya had fun with Pawns and Sunday!  Sorry to hear you ran into some PvP static (which I'm normally okay with, but I agree with you that the limited time slot of a convention makes those shenanigans a lot less cool).
Y'know, if I'd known you wrote them, I would have made sure to play at least one of 'em.  As it is, I'm trying to find someone to run me through SuperBrawl Sunday all on my lonesome.  Call me crazy...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #4 on: <10-12-11/1948:29> »
This year was, as always, a damn good time.
I hit the majority of the games and found they were all really good Mods this year. With the only fauxpas being the Maps were left out of one of the mods. 

Over all very cool stories and one even almost gave us (yes That DragonCon group) a total party kill......... GOOD JOB!!!!
Don't know who made that "Indiana Jones" run, but you sir made me scared for about 45 mins as we sorted out that encounter.

And as for that other guy and the pvp, to be fair, my group damn near came to pvp over the same part of that mod. So I can see where he came from. 

Can't wait for next year to see some more of those types of challenges!! 

P.S. Hey Bull who wrote the TRO 2073? Is he a BTech freelancer? I didn't recognise the name when they showed it to me.  Hilarious, BTW.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-12-11/2230:53> »
This year was, as always, a damn good time...

Tease.  You don't tell us who you were with -- or what mission caused the party kill and the pvp portion.  I doubt you were at my table, but ...

... stupid info addict deckers, always gotta know what's inside the chip. 
Pananagutan & End/Line

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #6 on: <10-13-11/1137:41> »
Allright, I've just gotta know -- what's with all the PVPness?  PM it if you want, change names to protect whoever you want to, etc, etc...I'm just itchin' with curiosity, is all.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #7 on: <10-13-11/1201:09> »
Allright, I've just gotta know -- what's with all the PVPness?  PM it if you want, change names to protect whoever you want to, etc, etc...I'm just itchin' with curiosity, is all.

Sounds like CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice. :)

[spoiler]Part of Burn Notice involves a chip with paydata that is supposed to be retrieved and returned, unread, to the Johnson.  The data is fairly valuable, but fencing it--or even opening it--is not a good idea.

The other part of Burn Notice is who has the chip and what the runners are supposed to do to her...that lead to a bit of a discussion at the table I GMed at Gen Con.

(Pretty much all of this info is available to the runners near the beginning of the run if they keep their eyes and ears open.)[/spoiler]
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Spanner

• Newb
  • Good? Bad? I'm the dwarf with the drones.
« Reply #8 on: <10-13-11/1531:40> »
Well, the mission the original poster was talking about was the one with the obsidian daggers in the underground, bloodthorn elf complex. The guy thought it would be fun to snatch them all for himself and blow up the rest of the group with explosives.

Actually, I think I was in the mission that Wyrm is talking about as well. Our hacker decided to view the contents of the chip so the Johnson (we were led to believe it was one of the dragons) didn't pay the balance of our fee. Sigh.

It's stuff like this that really turns me off to the SR Missions. I'm having enough fun trying to outwit the opposition. I don't need the "fun" of trying to outguess my fellow players too.
« Last Edit: <10-13-11/1536:29> by Spanner »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <10-13-11/1548:46> »
Well, part of that's just the risk you run in any convention game -- it's certainly not unique to Missions, or Shadowrun.  It's part of the...hrm...the gamble of organized convention play, for lack of a better term.  Sometimes it's a totally awesome experience and you get to have a good time, half-assedly make a new friend or two over your common interest in a hobby, and everyone has a lot of fun.  Other times, you get hosed by getting stuck at a table with "that guy," or a GM that has little business running a game, or whatever.

It's like trying a new restaurant, sort of.  You're either gonna love it and wish you could eat there all the time, or get food poisoning and wish you were dead so the misery would stop.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #10 on: <10-13-11/1748:20> »
Unfortunately, it's one of those things you occasionally have to take a chance on, when writing adventures.

When it comes to actual cash payments, I have a standing rule that the Johnson/Whoever never offers a blanket sum:  (i.e., 50K for the team).  The runs are always supposed to offer up X Nuyen per player.  This is done so that A) there's no fighting over payments (and no "if Bob doesn't survive, we split it 5 ways instead of 6"), B) So that no group is getting hosed on money (Group A runs with 4 players, so they get 12.5K each, but group B runs the adventure with 8 players so they only get 6.25K each), and finally C) so that the money always divides up evenly (50K divided by 7 sucks :))

However, we like to try and occasionally include non-monetary rewards.  They're fun, they're interesting, and sometimes they inspire characters to try something different (I know one player who already said he wanted to buy a power focus, and was going to use the Dagger as the "base" for it).  But...  It's hard to always work in "Each player gets X".  With the daggers in CMP 2011-03 Threads of the Past, the module is written so that the group finds enough daggers so that each player can get one (So there are only 4 in a 4 player game, and 8 in an 8 player game).  Ideally, the group splits them evenly.  But as Critias notes, you run the risk in any convention sty;e game with a bunch of strangers that people will be greedy.

We minimize it and try to reduce the chances for the game to breakdown, but at the end of the day we can only do so much.  The rest is up to the gamemaster and the players at the table. 

Bull

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #11 on: <10-13-11/1749:58> »
It's stuff like this that really turns me off to the SR Missions. I'm having enough fun trying to outwit the opposition. I don't need the "fun" of trying to outguess my fellow players too.

Yeah, this is a tough one.  :(  It's good feedback to get though, so we know the kinds of things to look for down the line, and maybe help put some better "Debugging" notes in for Gamemasters.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-13-11/2107:34> »
Too bad a player can't be tagged with "Bad Rep" so later players are warned...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-14-11/0528:34> »

Sounds like CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice. :)

That's the one.
Actually, I think I was in the mission that Wyrm is talking about as well. Our hacker decided to view the contents of the chip so the Johnson (we were led to believe it was one of the dragons) didn't pay the balance of our fee. Sigh.

Hey, Spanner -- which were you?  I shot the decker with Gamma-Scop, though I should have put a round into the idiot Russian before he drew too.  It essentially got retconned, though, mostly before I realized how truly nasty I was just in comparison to their crew.  Pretty sure I would have had backup too... but anyhow.
Pananagutan & End/Line

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #14 on: <10-16-11/0157:47> »
Yeah it was Burn Notice...... LoL. And I walked away from ours with two daggers.....  ;)

And since Blanco is an adept, I too had thought  to atempt to get them enchanted.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept