NEWS

Roger Soaring-Owl and Ares' Insect Secrets

• 23 Replies

IKerensky

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <06-18-12/0528:16> »
If she is Mantis then it could even be possible she is a willing ally with Damian Knight.

Perhaps Ares isn't bug infested/infiltrated at all. Perhaps Ares choosed to ally with some of the foes that share the same goals, or manage to turncoat against their own kind some of them (and Mantis are the ideal candidate for that).

If anything Chicago show Ares how badly prepared they are and how strong the menace really is, the way they use to cure the city proved not to be a viable solution in the long term. So Damian Knight need more time to slow and study the bugs. He is not alien to allying with awakened creatures (Big D) and corporate "daggers and shadows" behaviour, so he make sense he try to use bugs against bugs in order to buy time.

This kind of extreme "solution" could be what bring Roger Soaring-Owl to leave Ares in disagreement while not enough for him to publicaly denounce the situation in the case that could work. But he probably will keep an eye on things.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <06-18-12/0537:55> »
I'm not sure it was Mantis. At least, they never mentioned what kind of bug it was in House of the Sun. But why would Mantis be working with the other kinds in the UB? Help make your food more united?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <06-18-12/0641:11> »
The short fiction at the end of Street Legends addresses Ares' Insect Spirit problem. A lot of the speculation here is answered, or at least strongly hinted at, in it.

Details inside the spoiler box.

[spoiler]The Exchange sent Roger Soaring-Owl video of Unlimitech (which I'm assuming is a subsidiary of Ares) not just experimenting on bug spirits, but also investing them into Knight Errant personnel. Soaring-Owl recognized the woman who was taken over by a mosquito spirit. He went to the Unlimitech facility to pull a "surprise inspection" and confirmed that it was true. He went to Damien Knight to demand answers, but Knight just laughed it off and bragged megalomaniacally about all the powerful biotech they could get from the bugs. So Soaring-Owl quit in protest and went to Denver.

Knight turned Soaring-Owl's protege Tyler Climbing-Bear into an insect hybrid and sent him to kill Soaring-Owl. But Knight doesn't really control the insects, and the bug wearing Climbing-Bear's face offers to cut a deal with Soaring-Owl if he'll help free their queen from the labs. Soaring-Owl refused, opened fire on the bug, and then ran like hell from it until the Zone Defense Forces blasted it.[/spoiler]

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <06-18-12/0940:59> »
Something tells me Bull's going to be pulled out of semi-retirement soon...  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <06-18-12/0942:03> »
Mantis.
In 2XS it definitely were Wasps. In House of the Sun there is no exact info on the kind of spirit, but the shaman is male and Theresa voluntarily goes back to the bugs because she was craving for sense of belonging and unconditional love by the queen. That rules out Mantis (only female shamans and no queens), and strongly suggests she's gone back to the same kind of hive again.

PS: In Corp Guide there is a short story about a runner infiltrating an Unlimitech facility. Last sentence is something like "let's hope I'm not poking a wasp nest"...with the mosquitoes Narrator mentioned that would already be two species, and why stop at two?
« Last Edit: <06-18-12/0947:45> by Sengir »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <06-18-12/0944:24> »
Mantis.
In 2XS it definitely were Wasps. In House of the Sun there is no exact info on the kind of spirit, but the shaman is male and Theresa voluntarily goes back to the bugs because she was craving for sense of belonging and unconditional love by the queen. That rules out Mantis (only female shamans and no queens), and strongly suggests she's gone back to the same kind of hive again.
Hm, weird.  I had read the book...

Oh, that was years ago.  Damn, I was still...

Where does the time go?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <06-18-12/1012:10> »
Mantis.

PS: In Corp Guide there is a short story about a runner infiltrating an Unlimitech facility. Last sentence is something like "let's hope I'm not poking a wasp nest"...with the mosquitoes Narrator mentioned that would already be two species, and why stop at two?
Threats 2 definitely mentions a Roach queen, as well.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-18-12/1144:03> »
I like roaches more, as it just seems more their style. Wasps fly around making angry noises and attacking, ants quietly go about their business in plain sight, but roaches? Roaches scuttle around teh edges, feeding off of humanity's leftovers, and always stick to the shadows. They can live in your house for years and never be seen.

They're cunning little bastards, and they continue to evolve. (See also: Cuban Flying Roaches)

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #23 on: <06-24-12/2035:48> »
If bull and a few of the others are coming out of retirement to handle this i'm in.......hell its bugs, i'm in anyway
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget