NEWS

What's your favorite heavy pistol?

• 91 Replies

Gonad808

• Newb
« on: <10-03-15/0318:46> »
Looking for a good heavy pistol. I love the ares pred 5 but have done it afew times already any suggestions out there?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-03-15/0327:57> »
There really are only two:

Savalette Guardian: Ha everything the Ares Pred has and more: Burst fire capable

Ruger Super Warhawk: Loud and nearly as effective as an AK 97

Honorable mention goes to the Street Sweeper: It's nice if you need a shot gun you can carry in your pocket.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Gonad808

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-03-15/0344:35> »
Sweet thanks I'll look those up now. Just came across this.

Shiawase Arms Heavy Tactical - A sterling example of composite technology, the Heavy Tactical chambers Magnum® rounds while only weighing as much as our competitor’s small-caliber weapons. The weapon has excelled in numerous trials held by customers worldwide; it will not disappoint purchasers with its stopping power and armor-penetrating capability.
The Heavy Tactical has been assembled with a number of features demanded by today’s military and mercenary operators, including a smartlink, safe-target systems, and a thermal suppressor to reduce the likelihood of the shooter being spotted in limited-visibility environments. The powered slide mount allows purchasers to modify the weapon to meet changing tactical situations at the expense of requiring a larger holster, also offered through Shiawase Arms.
Accuracy: 5(7) Damage: 8P AP: -2 Mode: SA RC: - Ammo: 12(c) Availability: 17R Cost: 3200
Standard Upgrades/Accessories: Advanced Safety, High-Power Chambering, Powered Slide Mount (Rating 1), Reduced Weight, Safe Target System, Smartlink, Thermal Suppressor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <10-03-15/0347:37> »
There really are only two:

Savalette Guardian: Ha everything the Ares Pred has and more: Burst fire capable

Ruger Super Warhawk: Loud and nearly as effective as an AK 97

Honorable mention goes to the Street Sweeper: It's nice if you need a shot gun you can carry in your pocket.

For max bang for your buck, pretty much this.  I preferred the thunderbolt over the guardian in 2-4e... but since its not come back into 5e..... yea Guardian.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Gonad808

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-03-15/0433:28> »
I can't seem to find the stats on the guardian anywhere, anyone got a link or know it off hand?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-03-15/0512:24> »
I can't seem to find the stats on the guardian anywhere, anyone got a link or know it off hand?

It's from Run and Gun P33 not core. The big downside of the Guardian though is despite being BF and having internal recoil comp, it's only got a 12 shot clip

I would also say for anyone who like stealthy weapons the Silvergun can be good, just remember you're shooting flechettes so if you're against armor, use a different gun (like a Lightfire 75 loaded with APDS).
« Last Edit: <10-03-15/0514:13> by ScytheKnight »
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-03-15/1329:40> »

It's from Run and Gun P33 not core. The big downside of the Guardian though is despite being BF and having internal recoil comp, it's only got a 12 shot clip

I would also say for anyone who like stealthy weapons the Silvergun can be good, just remember you're shooting flechettes so if you're against armor, use a different gun (like a Lightfire 75 loaded with APDS).

Small point of correction on the silvergun:

You are firing Unique ammo that is treated as flechette ammo. (Built into the damage code already).

Its good vs lightly armored targets for sure.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-03-15/1612:48> »

You are firing Unique ammo that is treated as flechette ammo. (Built into the damage code already).

And yet the Subtle Gun PACK from Run Faster contains heavy pistol Flechette ammo.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-03-15/1807:43> »

And yet the Subtle Gun PACK from Run Faster contains heavy pistol Flechette ammo.

Oh I know....

Its a case of stat reading and not description reading. It happens all the time (and even lead to some whine fests here on the forums)

Most likely done that way to save space on chart.

But its right there in black and white on page 426
"It fires metal slivers that count as flechette ammunition, which is factored into the damage code"

Means no changing ammo types for the gun.... but that still makes it good against lightly armored targets.

Its been that way since the sliver gun csme out. But back in 3e and earlier, you had 2 types of armor and slivergun worked off impact armor... which was usually less then ballastic, which gave it a more ptominate use.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #9 on: <10-03-15/1905:59> »
What book is the Shiawase Arms Heavy Tactical from? Kinda like the sound of if (even if some of the mods I have never heard of).
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #10 on: <10-03-15/2032:12> »

I think other guns can use flechette, but the Slivergun uses special ammo that is only flechette (don't quote me on that though)

To the OP, my backup heavy pistol of choice is the Ruger Super Warhawk. It's loud and slow-firing, but it packs a wonderful punch!

Gonad808

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <10-03-15/2051:16> »
The  Shiawase Arms Heavy Tactical was on a list I found online. It didn't reference a book. I only have the 5th edition core book so I been looking for lists online but haven't had much luck

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-03-15/2059:50> »
If it goes bag, it's a 95% chance it's in Core, Gun H(e)avan 3 or Run & Gun.

However this is in none of those... so it's likely either a $th Ed or earlier gun, or a homebrew conversion.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #13 on: <10-04-15/0133:47> »
Almost 100% positive it is not R&G and 99.99% positive it is not from GH3. Online suggested GH2, but I thought that book was 4th ed only.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-04-15/0148:36> »
Ares Predator

Colt Government

Just my personal preferences.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen