NEWS

The nature of Juan Atzcapotzalco

• 23 Replies

Longshot23

• Omae
« on: <10-15-10/0436:37> »
So has anyone got any theories as to what Juan Atzcapotzalco actually was?

I'm kind of thinking he was a Biomantic construct (like cybermancy, but . . . well, you know).

Or he was a corpse possessed by a 'Blood Shedim' - which could be scarier.

Cos what's to stop the Azzies from doing this again . . .

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-10/0722:58> »
Uhm... who?
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-10/0830:51> »
Mayve he was a :

1. Horror possesed

2. Immortal Theran sorcerer.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <10-15-10/0913:58> »
Uhm... who?
Former president of Aztlan. It's been theorized he was possessed by a spirit, among other things.

I was always fond of the idea that he was possessed by the spirit of a Theran myself. I think the loci being bandied about in the Aztlan book were used by the Therans to "hold" their souls in the centuries between magic being in the world.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <10-15-10/0929:41> »
With Aztlan and the shit they already set loose... anything's possible.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-15-10/1158:03> »
Uhm... who?
Former president of Aztlan. It's been theorized he was possessed by a spirit, among other things.

I was always fond of the idea that he was possessed by the spirit of a Theran myself. I think the loci being bandied about in the Aztlan book were used by the Therans to "hold" their souls in the centuries between magic being in the world.

If that's the case, why did the Azzies finally write him off?  Or was it just the vessel that was disposed of?

Some interesting stuff about it gets raised in 'The Annotated Aztlan Annotations' file at the Ancient Files site.

That about the Locus almost implies that the Therans assumed that magic would return.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <10-15-10/1200:36> »
Uhm... who?

If that's the case, why did the Azzies finally write him off?  Or was it just the vessel that was disposed of?

Some interesting stuff about it gets raised in 'The Annotated Aztlan Annotations' file at the Ancient Files site.

That about the Locus almost implies that the Therans assumed that magic would return.
Nobody really knows. The big thing is he started to put himself above Aztechnology and, thus, became a threat to the corporation.

As for knowledge of magic cycles, remember that the dragons did know of the cycles and may have passed that information on to the Therans.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <10-15-10/1253:20> »
So the current Shadowrun world behind the scenes power plays:

Theran refugees: Controls Aztlan/Aztechnology, world power plays.

Elves: The Elven nations, corporates, artifact hunting etc.

Dragons: Power games , mutually allied/antagonistic but just games towards a long term end.

Corporate court: Well the top AAA corps. Not really united as they have competing interests.

Bit players: Well everybody else.

On the sidelines: Big threat with the horrors just waiting in the Astral plane just waiting to get in en masse.

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <10-15-10/1300:34> »
Thats comparing apples to oranges. The megacorps surely have way more mundane control and power than the other three groups united, but then those three groups for the most part (with such luminous exceptions as Lofwyr) arent really about mundane power, but about mythical power. Its two different things most of the time.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <10-15-10/1300:45> »
Oh yeah, in the Earthdawn era, the Therans is a world superpower. Actually they could stand up vs. teh Dragons, that's how powerful their magic is.

Only the Barsaivians and the Cathayans were able to defeat the Therans in a stand up battle.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <10-15-10/1307:27> »
Frost,

Well the power group which has the best coordination and unity to get to its goals probably have the upper hand.

the Corporates probably have strong military, magical and economic forces but the problem is that they are not united. Very factionalized. Also the other power groups probably have their hands in the Corporate court just in case(especially teh Therans/Aztechnology) and to make sure the Corporate court does not go too far.

Same for the dragons, probably the strongest magical force but very disunited and stuck playing their age old games.

Therans: Probably the best united and most coordinated but the problem is that they have some very powerful enemies who would unite when it rears its ugly head(like in Caracas and Yucatan recently). A lot of people hate their guts too, they made too many enemies.

So in my opinion the Therans are trying to defeat its most powerful threats as fast as possible to get the upper hand.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <10-15-10/1314:07> »
Don't forget the newest power on the block: The AIs. They may be "young" compared to all the others, but their realm of influence is something the others don't really understand and no one knows what may come of it.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-15-10/1315:10> »
They did send their stone Behemoths after a few dragons (a Behemoth is a fortress converted for flying, think Citadel from Dragonlance).  They killed Icewing's mate (Icewing = Ghostwalker) and then he got pissed and wasted one of them (the only time Thera ever lost a Behemoth).  After the assasinations of two dozen key figures in Thera, all of whom profited from the assault on the dragons, Thera decided to back off.  The dragons and Thera had an uneasy truce after that.

The dragons would give a Theran dying of thirst a glass of seawater, just for the chuckles.  They certainly wouldn't give them knowledge of the mana cycles.  The Therans figured that one out themselves, and produced the Rites of Protection and Passage to hold over the rest of the world in order to gain tribute from, and lordship over, the nations of the world.  The dragons didn't like it, which was the cause of the aforementioned hostility.

It's highly doubtful that Aztlan has remnants of the Therans, given Aztlan's past history with the Horrors which Thera actively worked hard to overcome.  Thera was a nation of jackasses, but they knew a bad thing when they saw it.  The Atlantean Foundation is much closer to being in line with ancient Thera than Aztlan.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <10-15-10/1317:58> »
Yeah, I was about to say, I cant really think of many things in SR linking back to Thera. The only immortals from last magic cycle I can think of are the Immortal Elves and the Dragons, and they already hate each other plenty enough. The Atlantean Foundation, too, is led by an IE from the 4th World.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #14 on: <10-15-10/1344:02> »
My rememberance of Earthdawn is a bit fuzzy, but wasn't Earthroot/Root Protector the one that figured out about the Mana cycles and shared the information with all, even the Therans?