NEWS

Desert Wars

• 53 Replies

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <09-07-10/1002:07> »
Sure is a shame, would have liked to have more info to maybe create a run for my players that would have played in the Desert Wars or something like that. Well, i can still do it, just have to be creative  ;D
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #16 on: <09-07-10/1204:41> »
Weren't Desert Wars to be covered in the upcoming "War" sourcebook?
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-07-10/1208:54> »
Hmm, wonder what all that book will cover...

Seriously, though, what wars will the book cover?  Desert Wars (TM)?  The Yucatan conflict?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: <09-07-10/1212:59> »
Well so far, its got redacted, and  redacted, plus some redacted.. OH and  redacted!!!!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <09-07-10/1347:46> »
You, sir, are not a nice person :(

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #20 on: <09-07-10/1411:55> »
Well so far, its got redacted, and  redacted, plus some redacted.. OH and  redacted!!!!
If I didn't like you so much, I'd smite your Rep. ;D

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-07-10/1533:37> »
It is indeed real war rather than have massive scale wars over things they fight these smaller wars to settle diferences.
Not sure real wars rules apply there since the major issue might be audience.
These wars might as well have been planned way long before, as might be victories and losses.
Of course, don't think soldiers know it.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-07-10/1633:18> »
WWF meets Desert Wars?

I think that would work only if there were a McMahon in charge of it all. But, I certainly would never say that you couldn't do that as a GM.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #23 on: <09-07-10/2026:09> »

See I need to find a way inside so I too can know things even if they never make it to print.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-08-10/0441:34> »
WWF meets Desert Wars?

I think that would work only if there were a McMahon in charge of it all. But, I certainly would never say that you couldn't do that as a GM.  ;D
That's it, WWF meets Desert Wars.
Actually, find it hard to imagine how it couldn't be. See, two megacorps obsessed with profit, they disagree on some obscure point, and then one says "Hey ! I throw my gloves to your face ! let's meet in the desert, and lose in struggling half our armies, plus our brandnew miltech, it'll be just fine. Don't worry explaining to the board why we found it smart losing billions, it's honor business, they'll understand."
Can't imagine these corporations would do something that doesn't earn them more money than they lose, and the best way to make sure they win more than they lose in a Desert War is to plan the war with their so-called foes.
What if the war isn't photogenic enough ? What if there's no really heroïc battle ? What if a corp win too easily ? Audience may dive.
So why take such a risk ?
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-08-10/0541:08> »
Corps blowing each other up for our entertainment, but when they contract a runner and it gets posted all over the news, we don't get any royalties for entertainment. Maybe I should start recording some sim when I take a run, and sell them as training vids...

You do in Los Angeles...
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <09-08-10/0549:37> »
WWF meets Desert Wars?

That's it, WWF meets Desert Wars.
Actually, find it hard to imagine how it couldn't be. See, two megacorps obsessed with profit, they disagree on some obscure point, and then one says "Hey ! I throw my gloves to your face ! let's meet in the desert, and lose in struggling half our armies, plus our brandnew miltech, it'll be just fine. Don't worry explaining to the board why we found it smart losing billions, it's honor business, they'll understand."
Can't imagine these corporations would do something that doesn't earn them more money than they lose, and the best way to make sure they win more than they lose in a Desert War is to plan the war with their so-called foes.
What if the war isn't photogenic enough ? What if there's no really heroïc battle ? What if a corp win too easily ? Audience may dive.
So why take such a risk ?

Contracts. Maybe 2000 soldiers and 20 tanks get blown up. But if that helps you secure a contract for 20000 soldiers and 200 tanks from some country with to much money and an itchy trigger finger: well placed investment!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-08-10/0603:43> »
And the casualties are usually nowhere near that high.  Advanced medical and cyber technology has seen to that.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <09-08-10/0623:30> »
Without searching through unpacked boxes...I am going by memory here.

Desert Wars was more about bragging rights. Competitions were put together with rules governing the size and composition of forces for various scenarios. Rescue the hostage would have a time limit, collateral damage penalties, bonuses for marksmanship, etc.. Being able to claim that Ares new door breaching charge was used by their team that won the Rescue the hostage scenario during the 2072 Desert Wars was seen as its own rewards.

I envision it more as the Military Channel meets the Roman Coliseum. But that is just me and certainly not the only way to run it!  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #29 on: <09-08-10/0931:10> »
And the casualties are usually nowhere near that high.  Advanced medical and cyber technology has seen to that.
Unfortunately, this is true of our modern military. One of the biggest "issues" is the fact that we've gotten so good with saving the lives of our soldiers, we've have a lot more recovering from wounds than in previous wars. And some who have lost a lower extremity may go back out to the front lines with the advancement in prosthetic legs.