NEWS

[SR5] Need help building Drone defense force

• 18 Replies

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <10-10-14/0220:55> »
The RCC is part of what allows you to control multiple drones simultaneously, from what I understand of the chapter.  It also provides better protection for your drones; an RCC can handle up to Device Rating x 3 drones slaved up to it, while I'm not sure how many a commlink or 'deck can have.  In addition, RCCs let you choose the better of your stats or the drones for defense tests; the example used is your Willpower instead of its Device Rating, if the former is higher.

For defense test, you either use your Reaction + Intuition + Control Rig while jumped in or using remote control, or you use the drones Pilot + Handling when running on autopilot. It is NEVER the better of the two as situations will change.

Jumped in > VR Remote > AR Remote > Autopilot

You need an RCC to run multiple drones and issue commands to all of them in one simple action. If you want to tell five different drones to perform 5 unique tasks, you cannot do it with just a normal commlink or cyberdeck using the Control Device action. This is what makes a RCC important for Riggers. Also, you can always slave an RCC to a Cyberdeck or Commlink. You can also run drones on Commlinks and Cyberdecks, but you're limited to device rating and giving orders as complex actions.

8-bit

« Reply #16 on: <10-10-14/0226:06> »
The RCC is part of what allows you to control multiple drones simultaneously, from what I understand of the chapter.  It also provides better protection for your drones; an RCC can handle up to Device Rating x 3 drones slaved up to it, while I'm not sure how many a commlink or 'deck can have.  In addition, RCCs let you choose the better of your stats or the drones for defense tests; the example used is your Willpower instead of its Device Rating, if the former is higher.

For defense test, you either use your Reaction + Intuition + Control Rig while jumped in or using remote control, or you use the drones Pilot + Handling when running on autopilot. It is NEVER the better of the two as situations will change.

You need an RCC to run multiple drones and issue commands to all of them in one simple action. If you want to tell five different drones to perform 5 unique tasks, you cannot do it with just a normal commlink or cyberdeck using the Control Device action. This is what makes a RCC important for Riggers. Also, you can always slave an RCC to a Cyberdeck or Commlink. You can also run drones on Commlinks and Cyberdecks, but you're limited to device rating and giving orders as complex actions.

Don't RCCs have to be the master of the drones in a PAN to give them commands? I don't believe you can make a master device a slave in a different PAN, otherwise the PANs would be completely overpowered and broken. You would be able to have a Fairlight Caliban be the master of 7 Fairlight Calibans which could then be the masters of 49 other devices. That's only one step down the chain, you could technically go on into infinity.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-10-14/0250:49> »

Just to clarify, you have to tell all the drones the same command as a single simple action.  You can't tell them to do five different things as a single action.  That would be 5 simple actions.  Also there is no rule stating that giving orders to a drone is a complex action using a commlink or a deck.  Remote controlling a drone from a link or deck is a complex action.  The only place it talks about giving orders is for the drone to carry out using its own pilot + autosoft(s) is in the rigger section. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <10-10-14/0600:14> »
Where does the Handling come from? I cannot remember the book stating it properly, and the assumption most Missions GMs seem to use is Pilot+Maneuver.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!