Shadowrun General > Gear

Ship Laser + Banshee

(1/4) > >>

Tester:
I'm only half joking about this. Yes... I want to mount a Winter Systems Mercury Ship Laser on a GMC Banshee. Let's not worry about Cost and Availability for the moment.

So the Banshee has 20 slots, the mount takes up between 4 and 11 slots.
You might be asking yourself what the problem is?
Well its a really big laser, its supposed to be on a ship so, the Banshee wouldn't be able to power the laser well or at all.
This is where I really like the mod Special Machinery, maybe Special Machinery (Batteries) or (Capacitors) or more likely Special Machinery (Reactor).

Thoughts? Laughs? Scathing Criticisms?

The_Gun_Nut:
Well, theoretically you could mount the ship laser on the Banshee just fine.  It's all the fiddly bits and details that bog it down (like a power source, or targetting system, or lift fans capable of propelling the craft...etc.). ;D

The only sad thing is that they don't list weights for the weapons, otherwise we could get a better idea of how big the thing is.  Weight + slots would go a long way to visuallizing size.

I would say it is possible to mount the laser, just like it's possible to mount a 16 inch naval gun on an Abrams tank.  It's just not really practical.

Kontact:
A banshee is a near-supersonic flying tank.

I don't see any problem with mounting a laser which is a scaled-up version of a hand-held device and expecting it to be powered by an engine which can send a flying brick like a T-bird to only 7m/s less than Mach 1. 

The_Gun_Nut:
It doesn't work that way, Kontact.  Electrical generation from a turbine draws an immense amount of power off the turbine, which cannot be used to fly the T-bird.  So, unless you replace both the cargo and passenger compartments with either capacitors/battery or a second turbine+fuel to power the laser (which adds a LOT of weight) you would have to land the Banshee in order to fire the laser.

Kontact:
Weight is pretty relative when you're dealing with a vehicle which comes with 18 armor and has 20 expansion slots.

I really wouldn't get too close to logic or reason when dealing with a big block of steel that goes 98% of the speed of sound.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version