NEWS

A little spark of creativity

• 6 Replies

Grynder

• Newb
« on: <08-17-15/1831:54> »
Hey all, just thought I would throw this up in air and see what sticks.

I am pretty new to Shadowrun, heard of it and only recently decided to dive right in there and take a go. I have my group and there characters are all pretty much done bar a few details. If it would help for the next question I'm about to ask, in my group I have a human Canadian Face/Mage looking for his inheritence, a disgruntled dwarf Decker who worked for Aztechnology and thought to screw them over, an ex Lone Star HTR squad member, a Native American Cyb-ork and an elven rigger (not much on this character is finished).

The issue I'm having is that Shadowrun is so expansive and I'm seeing very few avenues to pursue. Is there any help, inspiration, plot hooks, campaign ideas that you guys have used/wanted to use/thought of an abandoned that could help make a spark.

Cheers all
Grynder

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-17-15/2046:41> »
Not to brag, but my blog (link below) runs regular "10 in Ten" feature, of 10 ideas for runs. No rules, just the basic concept. There are 4 so far, one each for magical runs, rigger-based runs, the 2075 Olympics and new one for runs out in the country. There is also an ABC of meeting places, which may spark ideas. I am working on a second Olympic 10 in Ten, and 1 for Extractions and another on Retrievals. I also just put up a run concept in response to a question by Dampfish, about getting his players to understand and respect orks and trolls. Find it in Dampfish's thread here.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <08-18-15/1238:12> »
Check out some of the Missions modules. Not only are they good for something to run when you're in writer's block, but you can use them as a guideline for making your own runs.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <08-18-15/1618:37> »
Have you decided on their home setting? ( Seattle, etc) yet?

What negative qualities have they taken?

Those questions aside, Missions (on this site) season one, mission one, is not a bad starting point.  It was written for an older edition of the game but is very easy to adapt.  It gets the characters together and gives them a chance to do some things, and in my experience by the end of it they will already be giving you ideas.

Grynder

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-19-15/1359:41> »
@ Mr Black: Had a look at your blog and thought it was pretty insight (mainly the GM's stuff). Certain things for this game just don't seem to be clicking with me and that put some of them into place.

@Mirikon: Its not the runs that I'm having difficulties with to be honest, it is more of the structure/content for a campaign and mainly how they can link together. What I have looked at them for is antagonist stuff, so that was helpful.

@Beta: Its going to be in Seattle as there is quite a bit of free reign there compared to anywhere else country/state wise. The Face/Mage has Gremlins 3 and Unsteady Hands, the Decker has Uncouth, the ex LS HTR member has National SIN (UCAS), the Cyb-Ork has Prejudiced (Anglos, Biased) and Code of Honour (warriors code), and my rigger is a severe rating alcoholic.

So after all of this I did spend some time trying to come up with a plot using Mr Blacks blog and decided to run to non plot related runs to get the PCs their street rep as a group of runners up, before I take them into the story. So far my ideas are bit muddled but I have two.

Idea 1 - A large section of the city is to be renovated by (enter Big 10 here) and it is being backed by (enter government official) here. The people who are going to be effected are low income families and gangs/organised crime, but the (government official) is actually funding the criminals to carry on commiting crime AS WELL AS getting paid handsomely to back the (Big 10) in its efforts.

Idea 2 - The runners are sent to hijack a pharmaceutical company truck and what is inside will shock them; a cryosleep pod with a human child in it. The sleep pod has (Big 10) logo's on it. Why is the child in sleep? No one knows, but the company (and a few others) are going to be after it. Do you help or do you rat them out?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <08-19-15/1617:54> »
I'd strongly agree thar the first run be a simple thing.  Food Fight, Missions 1-1, etc.  Let everyone get used to the rules and characters before they have to make real decisions.  You could even have a fixer pay them a bit to do a practice course to see how they'll do.  Get used to the rules and abilities before things get complicated.

Your idea 1 is kind of perfect--2076 Olympics are hosted by Seattle and Salish-Sidhe.  For sure things will happen much as you suggest.  Startt in 2075, they are behind schedule and getting extra shady in bow they do things.  Then things play out largely as you described :)

friczvonbrock

• Newb
  • Strength Determination Merciless Forever
« Reply #6 on: <08-20-15/1100:21> »
Other nice ideas are described in many adventure books, in Chapter 0.

I some adventures you can get every player together gettin' them in the jail. Or gettin' a fixer contact. Is everybody from Seattle? Those who aren't, how much time they're there?
For example, one of my new players in my table is a Greek elf who had his family killed by the AFA in the Euro War II, he's comin' in Seattle now in a cargo ship runnin' from the Turkish mafia.
His contact is another player character, who becomes a NPC (cause the player stopped to play), and was a combatant of the Euro War II in the same chapter.
Join them in common things, but usually in the first adventure, gets the fixer choice, it's a good begginin.
And in the book Run Faster there are some flesh up questions for the players that can help them to create a nicer BG that you can link everybody easier.