NEWS

Star Citizen Free Week

• 8 Replies

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-02-16/0018:15> »
Star Citizen is having a free week from today until Friday; all you need to do is make a free account and download the game. You can make the account here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?jumpto=%2Ffly-now The game size is about 28 Gb, and make sure to download the manual: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?jumpto=%2Ffly-now

Here is the announcement from the website:

"Greetings Citizens,On the fence about Star Citizen? Why not give it a try and see what we’re building! For the next week, we’re enable Free Fly access to all accounts… which means that anyone can jump in to Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 today! The Free Fly event gives everyone access to three unique parts of the Star Citizen experience:
  • Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 – Also known as Crusader or the “mini-PU,” this is the nucleus of the world we’re building! Featuring multiple space stations and environments, scripted missions, places to explore and more, Alpha 2.1.2 is your first look at a much larger universe!
  • Arena Commander – Arena Commander is a ‘game within a game’ that we’ve used to develop our flight mechanics and ship combat balance. Take on human opponents or an AI swarm in single seat fighter.
  • Social Module – Interact with other players while you explore our first landing zone, ArcCorp! The Social Module is intended as a starting point for our world building,
You can register for an account here to get started. If you already have an account from a previous Free Fly, you’re all set! Just log in via the Star Citizen launcher. This is the first Free Fly that includes Crusader, so there’s more to explore than ever before. Free Fly accounts will have access to the Hornet F7C military fighter, the Aurora LN starter and the Mustang Delta interceptor."

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-02-16/0822:55> »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-02-16/0909:25> »
To be fair, I spent 50 grand on a sportscar. Hobbies are hobbies, right?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-16/1129:07> »
Without a doubt.  ;D

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-02-16/1346:42> »
On the topic at hand, I've been enjoying Star Citizen for a good year and a half now. Backed during the original Kickstarter, and I'm far from 30 grand in, but I've got a few nice ships. The local vs global physics grid is seriously one of the most impressive pieces of technology I've ever witnessed.

It's hilariously frightening to EVA out of a Constellation's loading elevator (heck, or even an Aurora with an open airlock) while it's spinning around one or more axes; just the simple act of getting back in your space ship after taking a spacewalk was an experience in and of itself.

So yeah, I can heartily recommend the project, though just be prepared to wait for a long time. RSI is moving at a positively glacial pace compared to their plans, so if we see Squadron 42 (the first single player module/episode) in 2016 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

And as a shameless self-plug (since Dinendae didn't); if you sign up with the following referral code you'll get 5,000 UEC (in-game credits) if you end up buying a game package :)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-MMZ9-VRYG

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-02-16/2057:57> »
Forewarned is forearmed...

Meet a fan who has spent $30,000 on Star Citizen ships

:o :o :o

Ah, but the important thing was this part:

"I’ve not spent a single dime out of my main account. I’ve done side jobs to come up with the funds. Some people buy real boats; I buy pixel boats. I haven’t financed anything or put anything on credit cards. Everything is clear in the up, disposable income. I wasn’t stupid in that regard, you know. Putting things on credit cards, that’d be dumb."

At least he was smart about it, unlike that woman who spent everything on that recent Megamillions lottery, lost, and then was trying to use GoFundMe to recover from her stupidity while openly admitting she would do the same thing again.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-16/0902:31> »
I'm note questioning...just amazed at the amount of money he has put into the game. I can't imagine spending that much money on anything hobby-related (well, unless you accrue over 15+ years)...too many other demands.

Kinda jealous, but not really. ;)

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-16/1126:32> »
Quote from: Herr Brackhaus link=topic=23309.msg431678#msg431678 date=1454438802
So yeah, I can heartily recommend the project, though just be prepared to wait for a long time. [/quote

No need to pay as of now then.
I'll wait and see. If its a decent game when it comes out, i can always get a copy.
Getting into the original Kickstarter was probably also a valid choice if you are interested in space games and believe in the Concept of Kickstarters (basically making a bet).
First is true for me, second not so much. There have been a few successfull kickstarters and i backed a few myself (Divinity OS II, SR Hong Kong and Battletech), but that was by companies who already had to show something done in recent times. Roberts project seemed a bit to ambitious and still does so. Doubt it will fullfill its promisses, but it might still end up a fun game. We'll see.

There are free game weeks several times a year (Christmas, GamesCon etc), so you can follow the progress without shelling out money.

Feel free to do it though, just don't see any use for it NOW. A techdemo is imho not worth the cash that this company demands for their virtual goods, but your personal valuation might differ.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-04-16/1048:11> »
I'm note questioning...just amazed at the amount of money he has put into the game. I can't imagine spending that much money on anything hobby-related (well, unless you accrue over 15+ years)...too many other demands.

Kinda jealous, but not really. ;)

When I first got into online gaming back in 1999, the big three were Everquest, Asheron's Call, and Ultima Online. People spent crazy amounts of money for in-game items for EQ; a Cloak of Flames (best haste item at that time) was selling on eBay for $8,000.00 (when eBay was still allowing auctions for such things). A few years later, EQ put a special server that you paid 5x the normal monthly subscription for to get extra things (like actual customer service from Verrant/Sony). As I remember, it was fairly popular, just like selling (and buying) virtual items in the game.

From what I understand, Star Citizen is supposed to be a "buy to play game" where you pay for the initial game and don't have to pay again, with the ability to get the various ships available in the game when you get enough credits (or whatever their money is) together. With that in mind, he probably went quit bit wild, but at least it's not another "I spent all this and now I'm broke" story. Given all that I've spent on games (regular, MMO, and pen & paper) over the years, I've probably far exceeded what he spent. Heck what I've spent on Shadowrun's 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions is probably a good percentage of that amount, but I really don't want to tally it all up. As they say, ignorance is bliss!  ;D