NEWS

How are you playing Shadowrun.

• 23 Replies

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« on: <08-29-19/2058:34> »
I figured it was time for a new poll as 6th is out, and I felt the last polls wording was kind of off.

I thought it would be interesting to see what the current brake-down of the Shadowrun community was.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-19/2102:36> »
I'm in a 5th ed campaign right now.

Our GM read through the 6th ed rulebook, and said we're going back to 4th once our current campaign is over...

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-19/2108:21> »
I'm currently in 5th Edition, as our group began a couple months ago. I tried 4A once, and would like to try it again. I'd also like to try 3rd, which I haven't done before. I figure by then, 6we will have its supplements out, along with errata and stuff.

(Edit) As to "how am I playing Shadowrun", I reply with "Very Carefully". I ended up spending 12 karma so that my Uncouth decker could by a hit on Etiquette, just in case.
« Last Edit: <08-29-19/2109:55> by BeCareful »
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-29-19/2122:26> »
I'm currently in 5th Edition, as our group began a couple months ago. I tried 4A once, and would like to try it again. I'd also like to try 3rd, which I haven't done before. I figure by then, 6we will have its supplements out, along with errata and stuff.

(Edit) As to "how am I playing Shadowrun", I reply with "Very Carefully". I ended up spending 12 karma so that my Uncouth decker could by a hit on Etiquette, just in case.

I highly recommend SR3, just know it is a radically different system.  Target numbers, Rule of Six, Rule of Ones, totems, dice pools...and the thing I miss the absolute most, shadow slang and profanity.  (I know several of those names have been slapped on things since the system was revised, but they're really not the same).

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-29-19/2126:00> »
Currently 5th once the Chicago campaign wraps up I may move onto 6th. But I think we are taking a Sr break for d&d or something where I get to be a player for 6 months or so. By then depending on state of 6e May move to 6e to give it a try.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-19/2132:28> »

I highly recommend SR3, just know it is a radically different system.  Target numbers, Rule of Six, Rule of Ones, totems, dice pools...and the thing I miss the absolute most, shadow slang and profanity.  (I know several of those names have been slapped on things since the system was revised, but they're really not the same).

I love SR3. While I can appreciate the game reason for the whole universal magic theory thing it’s ksit a lot more boring. And no matter how well it’s role played shamans and hermetics just feel the same. I prefer SR2 but that’s mainly because 1. I don’t like picking damage level of spells on the fly. You want a deadly damage fireball but it. 1. I prefer the skills which are closer to SR6 skills. Firearms instead of pistols. Just too many damn skills my street sams needed to waste to just to cover his bases meanwhile mr spell slinger just took sorcery.

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-29-19/2157:37> »

[/quote]

I love SR3. While I can appreciate the game reason for the whole universal magic theory thing it’s ksit a lot more boring. And no matter how well it’s role played shamans and hermetics just feel the same. I prefer SR2 but that’s mainly because 1. I don’t like picking damage level of spells on the fly. You want a deadly damage fireball but it. 1. I prefer the skills which are closer to SR6 skills. Firearms instead of pistols. Just too many damn skills my street sams needed to waste to just to cover his bases meanwhile mr spell slinger just took sorcery.
[/quote]

I actually prefer the skills that way as well, but our group was split pretty much down the middle about it.

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-29-19/2250:43> »
Currently 5th.  Waiting for Catalyst to fix chargen in 6th (preferably point/karmagen) and for some more books to come out, then we probably make the switch to 6th.

[evo]

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-30-19/0151:41> »
Other  : Shadowrun Anarchy (French version).

Because I'm fed up with paper weight rules. Shadowrun has always been a good setting, with [censorship] heavy useless rules.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <08-30-19/0832:39> »
So, why leave out 1st edition, 2nd edition, Crossfire, and Anarchy? It's real easy to add those to the polls, unless you're trying to weight the poll to the editions you want a reaction on.

I figured it was time for a new poll as 6th is out, and I felt the last polls wording was kind of off.
Was my wording off, or were a lot of people surprised that sixth edition was more popular than they thought it would be? I suspect a lot of people are feeling shocked that Sixth World is the number one download on DriveThruRPG ever since it came out.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-30-19/0858:15> »
The wording was perfectly fine.

I've been hosting SR6 events since 2 months ago, and will participate in a campaign that kicks off in a few week. My home campaign already finished up, otherwise we'd do the same as we did with SR4->SR5 in that campaign: Wait for a few more books, then remake our characters.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <08-30-19/0903:55> »
Was my wording off, or were a lot of people surprised that sixth edition was more popular than they thought it would be? I suspect a lot of people are feeling shocked that Sixth World is the number one download on DriveThruRPG ever since it came out.

Literally anything Shadowrun that comes out on DTRPG is the top seller when it comes out.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #12 on: <08-30-19/0905:49> »
I don't think that's either surprising or meaningful. This forum, r/shadowrun, and dumpshock combined are probably an audience of fewer than four figures, which is presumably very small compared to the pool of potential purchasers of SR6e. It's reasonable to assume that many people buying have not read any of the back-and-forth discussions online, and so their decision to buy does not reflect them dismissing the concerns that have been raised here and elsewhere but simply not knowing about them.

But if we're considering DTRPG data, let's take a look at the star ratings and number of reviewers for each of the titles in, let's say, DTRPG's current top 10:

• SR6e - 3.4/5; n=8; released August 26, 2019
  • Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit - 4.8/5; n=38; released August 01, 2019
  • Legend of the Five Rings: Courts of Stone - 5/5, n=1; released August 27, 2019
  • Eclipse Phase Second Edition - 5/5; n=11; August 09, 2019
  • Legend of the Five Rings: Winter's Embrace - 5/5; n=1; August 27, 2019.
  • Occult Philosophy - 5/5; n=20; July 29, 2019
  • Rangers of Shadow Deep: Ghost Stone - 5/5; n=2; August 02, 2019.
  • Esper Genesis 5E Threats Database; 5/5; n=5; August 15, 2019.
  • Stars Without Number: Revised Edition - 4.9/5; n=151; December 29, 2017.
  • Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon - 5/5; n=17; July 10, 2019.

It's early days and we must be cautious about drawing conclusions from only 8 reviews, but it does appear that SR6e is getting ratings significantly more quickly than most titles on that list, and that those ratings are significantly lower than any of the other titles. And DTRPG only allows you to review titles you bought, so this cannot be grandstanding from people desperate to spread negativity, unless they were desperate enough to spend $20 to do so.
« Last Edit: <08-30-19/0918:15> by penllawen »

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-30-19/1021:26> »
So, why leave out 1st edition, 2nd edition, Crossfire, and Anarchy? It's real easy to add those to the polls, unless you're trying to weight the poll to the editions you want a reaction on.

I will be straight since you seem to want it.
you gave one answer to dislike it and about 4 ways to say I'm not sure or maybe, and still the dislikes where high.
Plus from the responses to this poll is not looking good for 6th and as penllawen has show the reviews are not looking good either.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <08-30-19/1041:40> »
Your own wording is unclear, you're ignoring the case where people prefer gathering a few more books first, the amount of votes for SR5 which was a worse editing disaster shows the initial backlash over editing is not a problem eventually, and you left out several editions. And you're drawing your conclusion after literally 14 hours. FJ's poll sounds better.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!